Tuesday 28 January 2014

German Zombie Horde In Helmets - Part One

These models are the first two figures I've completed from the "West Wind Productions" blister pack G-SOTR10 - German Zombie Horde In Helmets. These 28mm metal miniatures are from Andy Cooper's "Secrets Of The Third Reich" range and were frankly painted using a bizarre mixture of manufacturers' paints, both young and old. For starters I'm currently giving all of my models a simple undercoat of Black by "Coat D'Arms". I bought a few pots of this paint last year after I found the then new Abaddon Black from "Games Workshop" to be too watery for my tastes; and certainly not a patch on the old Chaos Black.

Any areas of uniform were painted either with my trusty Adeptus Battlegrey or (the greenish) Heavy Grey by "Vallejo". These parts were then given a "Citadel" wash of Badab Black or "Thrakka Green" respectively.

I've settled on undercoating all my zombies' flesh with "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey as I like the effect a wash of "Thrakka Green" has over this colour. I'm also going to stick with picking out open wounds and bullet holes using an old pot of "Citadel" Red Gore I've found, and then heavily washing the areas with Ogryn Flesh and Baal Red. I've even bought and tried out a pot of the "Citadel Shade" Carroburg Crimson but to be honest found it to be even weaker in colour than my 'drying up' Baal Red.

As always I plan to paint most of their helmets with an Adeptus Battlegrey and Badab Black combination. Although in order to represent a zombie from the Afrika Korps I have used the "Citadel Foundation" Tausept Ochre with a generous wash of Devlan Mud.
I tend to only paint one or two models simultaneously, so whilst waiting for a coat of paint or heavy wash to dry, I like to prepare and base other models for future projects. Indeed, sometimes as a diversion I'll even slap on a few coats of paint - especially if the models are simple and will be quick to finish. As a result I'm currently also pottering away on these plastic 28mm Heroclix models; notably DC Comics' Brain and Marvel's Howard The Duck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment