Monday 24 February 2014

Mustard Gas Breath Zombies - Part Two

I've finished working on another two "West Wind Productions" models from the blister SOV-SOTR18 Soviet Zombie Horde, and as a result finished painting all the 28mm Undead walking corpses I currently plan for my "Savage Worlds" "Weird War Two" setting. I still have a number of other "Secrets Of The Third Reich" models yet to paint before I move onto a new project during March but these soldiers who die from inhaling mustard gas end a six-week run of painting a number of rotting corpses.

 As with their predecessors I replaced the models' Russian zombie heads with those from SHS-SOTR08 Soviet Gas Mask Heads In Helmets and then undercoated them "Coat D'Arms" Black. I painted the majority of their uniforms with "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and then washed them with the "Citadel" Shade Agrax Earthshade. However because the figures appeared to resemble Russian officers or rather Commissars, I painted their trousers with "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and followed this up with a wash of "Citadel" Asurmen Blue. The model wearing a Russian greatcoat had his overcoat painted with an old pot of "Citadel" Dark Flesh and Agrax Earthshade.

I painted both of the soldiers' gas mask hosing with "Citadel" Adeptus Battlegrey and Nuln Oil, whilst I applied "Vallejo" Heavy Grey and a combination of "Citadel" Thrakka Green and Agrax Earthshade over their filter boxes. The Soviet helmets were painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Green and washed with "Citadel" Thrakka Green.
As I really like the detail and options of the Infantry squads and teams found within the "Bolt Action" Army books, I'm going to try and move away from some of the section listings found within the "Weird War Two" setting book for my next game and try and replicate some of the British and German lists that "Warlord Games" suggest in their rule book. As a result I need to quickly paint up a British NCO equipped with a (Sten) submachine gun and a Heer Veteran Infantry Squad NCO similarly equipped. In addition I would like the chance of the British fielding a Piat launcher as either an attachment to the main Infantry section or as a possible distraction/encounter during the game.

I used these models as an experiment to try out a bottle of "Citadel" Technical I bought from a local Hobby Store yesterday. I was hoping for great things from my pot of Imperial Primer, having found my "Coat D'Arms Black" always required two coats to properly undercoat a model. Unfortunately I was bitterly disappointed with the watery result, and no matter how much I stirred the Technical paint, I ended up returning to my final pot of "Coat D'Arms" Black and giving the models a lavish coat of that before I was satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment