Saturday 22 March 2014

British Commando Carbine - Part One

This 28mm metal model is the first of four similar-looking models from the "West Wind Productions" blister B-SOTR05 British Commando Carbines. It's actually one of eight such miniatures I've currently got sat on my painting table, an entire British Infantry Section, but to be honest, is probably one of the last "Secrets Of The Third Reich" figures I plan to paint for the foreseeable future as I fear I'm rather worn out gaming "Weird War Two" at present.

KrautScientist has just posted a good article on the Dark Future Games website about such painting blocks; albeit he seems to have completely sold his soul to the chaos gods of the "Warhammer 40K" universe as a result. The post can be found here: http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/cleansing-palate-with-nurgle.html.

In order to try and step away from many of the now 'out of production' "Citadel" Foundation paints I originally used for my British Army colour scheme, I have tried to replace some of the old pots with "Vallejo" alternatives. Essentially though the model was painted using my 'tried and tested' method of "Coat D'Arms" Black undercoat with a combination of "Citadel" Dark Flesh and Devlan Mud wash for the majority of the soldier's uniform. I also still have some Calthan Brown for the bullet proof vest. However for the carbine rifle butt I went with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and then Heavy brown for the weapon's strap. I've also now settled on "Heavy Grey" for the infantryman's gas mask filter. All of these paints are then washed with "Citadel" Devlan Mud.
 I've now completely turned to the latest "Savage Worlds" setting, the "Science Fiction Companion" and as a result super-glued and based a handful more models from the "Judge Dredd" miniature range by "Mongoose Publishing". I've actually gone with some of the newer models from their Kickstarter as they look far more 'painter-friendly' than the older figures I've recently painted. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the painters block effects us all from time to time. A switch to something different should sort it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so :-) I've had a run of 'difficult to paint' models (imho) in recent weeks (not the SOTR ones though) and seem to have already spent an age painting my current duo of an Ultramarines Sternguard and a third Street Judge. Both are very time consuming, and I've found myself having to really sit down and push through their gold areas at present. Having to stop last night to sculpt more details on the Street Judge with green stuff (again) hasn't helped either!!

    ReplyDelete