Friday 28 March 2014

LRDG/SAS Dismounted Patrol - Part One

This small base of 15mm models is something of a surprise posting as I've had little inclination to paint any "Battlefront Miniatures" for a while. However, having pulled out a small box of twenty semi-finished figures from the "Flames Of War" blister BR758 LRDG/SAS Dismounted Patrol, I've very quickly managed to 'touch-up' some of their painting and finally base them.

This entire blister was something of an experiment with the "Vallejo" Game paint range and their washes, and were actually undercoated using Heavy Grey as opposed to my normal "Coat D'Arms" Black; albeit it I did use the "Citadel" colours Abaddon Black and (old) Skull White as opposed to their "Vallejo" alternatives.

Both soldiers' skin was painted with Heavy Skintone before being washed with Fleshtone Shade. Any dark brown/leather areas were then painted with Heavy Sienna before both these areas, and any Heavy Grey and Heavy Brown ones, were washed with Umber Shade. The white areas were washed with Pale Grey but then darkened further with a little heavily watered-down "Citadel" Adeptus Grey. Finally their machine guns were painted using "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey and Black Shade.

Whilst I appreciate these historic special forces are famous for conducting numerous raids throughout the North African Campaign, I didn't want to apply a sandy/desert theme to their bases, as that would mean painting and basing another load of scenery similarly. As a result I've based them with my normal 'European grassland' colours.
As a complete contrast I've also finished my initial "Vallejo" Heavy Blue undercoat on two more of my Ultramarines Sternguard "Warhammer 40K" models by "Games Workshop". As you can hopefully see these Veteran Space Marines are absolutely covered in intricate details... and will therefore doubtless prove very time-consuming to paint.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the LRDG figs they look good. The marines look good so far take your time you'll enjoy painting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, many thanks as always. To be honest the Vallejo Shades have proven a bit of a disappointment as they work so differently to the Citadel washes I'm used to. They don't seem to 'stick' to the areas I've applied them to but simply run everywhere; especially annoying on something so small as a 15mm model. Love the detail on the Sternguard, just impatient with them as I want them painted now so I can get them on the table and start gaming with them :-)

    ReplyDelete