Friday 18 April 2014

Baccus 6mm North African Buildings - Part One

These three North African buildings are from an old packet of "Baccus 6mm" resin Eastern Mediterranean buildings I've actually owned for a couple of years. Despite some numerous (and in some cases obvious) bubbles in the cats, the models are packed full of detail and proved reasonably quick to finish.

On the "Baccus 6mm" website the buildings have been painted using a simple 'almost bleach white' colour scheme, but because I may well use these models to represent built up areas for other areas conflict zones (and periods) I went with a less stark cream choice. In addition, because of the level of detail on the miniatures, I even dry-brushed a second colour over the buildings, to really help 'bring out' the stairs, windows, and shop fronts; something I wouldn't ordinarily consider even for 28mm scale scenery.
As a result the models were all undercoated with two layers of "Vallejo" Iraqui Sand. I've had this bottle hanging around for some (bought as part of a boxed set for Afrika Korps models) and thought it'd give me the cream effect I was after. Once dry, each building was then washed with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade; a Shade which has been consigned to simple scenery and basing duties since I discovered Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".

Each model was then dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Iraqui Sand before I applied a final highlight of White. The windows were then 'picked out' using "Coat D'Arms" Black, whilst the doors painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna" and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

I also made the decision to base the buildings using the same 'mud and grass' colour scheme I predominantly base all of my models in this 'day and age'. I must confess to being somewhat tempted to go with a desert basing scheme, but that would have meant either re-basing my 6mm British Modern Army (a depressing nightmare of a scenario) or having my scenery 'jar' with the force's fighting over them.
In addition I've also managed to squeeze in painting another base containing two armoured personnel carriers from the "GHQ" 6mm modern "Micro Armour" range. This means my Modern British Army will now be able to field two complete Spartan Armour assets (i.e. eight models based upon four stands).

No comments:

Post a Comment