Wednesday 15 October 2014

Retained Knights - Part Four

These two 15mm miniatures are from "The Ion Age" miniatures selection IAF008 Retained Knight Post Charlie (Launcher) and IAF001 Retained Knight Post Alpha (Loader). I’ve based them on a small “Battlefront Miniatures” stand in order to represent an Anvil 888 Launcher team. The models were initially undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Blue before being washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Their hands were then picked out with "Vallejo" Heavy Red, before I treated them to a glaze of "Citadel" Bloodletter. Finally the models' weapons were painted using the "Citadel" combination of Boltgun Metal with Nuln Oil.
I’m also close to finishing off the layers on my next two “Heroclix” pre-painted miniatures by “Wizkids”. Solomon Grundy just needs the large tree branch he’s wielding to be painted and washed, and his hair inked, and he should be finished. I’m not that happy with the zombie’s all-white eyes, as they appear to be at an odd angle to one another. But that appears to be where the sculptor put the pupils. The Abomination needs even less work to be done, though I’ll probably repaint his right leg as the brown wash seems to have pooled rather thickly on this area, so it has gone a slightly darker green to the rest of the behemoth’s body. This really is a monster of a miniature and dwarfs the Frankenstein’s Monster by “Graven Images” I’ve recently finished.
I’ve ‘borrowed’ an idea from Bruno “Count Von” Beveridge’s excellent blog “Lead of Alive” for a Top Ten miniatures posting. But rather than do a list I thought I’d simply show the top ten miniatures in my painting queue at present; a bit of a ‘What’s on the Painting Table’ if you will. There’s a bit of a mix as I continue to plod away at the remaining Thug “Heroclix” models from my (final) painting Challenge of 2014. Plus a couple more, the Living Mummy being this week’s Zomtober submission. My “Crooked Dice” Blake’s Seven project hasn’t really progressed much this week, except that I’ve repainted and re-inked Roj Blake’s sleeves. Finally The Shadow by “Graven Images” has momentarily been ‘overshadowed’ by my determination to finish my “Frankenstein’s Monster” first. Hopefully painting on a few of these figures will shift gear in the next few days and they’ll be an all-new roster…
 
For a more well-thought out Top Ten though here’s the link to “Lead or Alive”:
http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/getting-on-bandwagon-my-top-ten.html

6 comments:

  1. I'm liking how Solomon Grundy is turning out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vampifan - especially as the idea for the grey flesh I actually got from your zombies. Never occurred to me not to add green to m zombie wash until you explained how you painted yours. Bit of a 'Doh!' moment tbh :-) His pictures have come out a little dark on the blog and he looks far better in the flesh so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use green when washing my zombies (that sounds odd, doesn't it :-) ?), but start from a different base from Vampifan. Specifically, I block them with the same pale flesh colour as I use for humans, but then wash with a very, very dark grey/green (Anita's "lamppost").

      Delete
    2. Just had another look at your zombies to see what you mean. Next time I do a batch of Zeds I might try out some of these different washes on different models and see how they turn out. Clearly there's more than one way to wash the Undead :-)

      Delete
  3. Your horror stuff is coming along nicely dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Solomon is taking far longer than I anticipated to finish. Thank goodness for his black suit! Really determined to get him and The Living Mummy finished by the end of the week, so I'm on track with everyone else :-)

      Delete