Saturday 13 December 2014

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2014 - WIP - Week Two

I’ve spent most of my free time over the past few days steadily progressing this “Heroclix” plastic miniature of the Black Manta and five “U-Men” models. I quite naively thought that as they’d be predominantly black they’d be a nice easy project for my first Saturday Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge posting.
But I didn’t take into account just how detailed and complicated all the piping was on the scuba-divers breathing apparatus, nor that by painting the “DC Comics” supervillain’s deep-sea diving helmet silver rather than black I’d be wrestling with a couple of mold-lines. Suffice to say however that all the metallic areas have now been completed, washed, drybrushed and the models are now finished; ready for posting on the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge blog.
These three models have rather leapt to the front of my painting line having arrived as an unexpected, but very much appreciated, gift from Dick Garrison, who runs the “Rantings From Under The Wargames Table” blog: http://rantingsfromunderthewargamestable.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/28mm-superheroes-part-9

Not only did he recently paint his own casts of these models but he actually designed and sculpted them, so I am hoping to have mine finished ready for next week's Saturday Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge posting; along with a few Pulp miniatures, Anne!! My only concern is that I want to paint these miniatures using the same colour scheme as Dick Garrison has, as I thought they worked really well. But he’s picked some of my least favourite to paint pigments, such as orange, gold and to a lesser extent red.

14 comments:

  1. Nice paint work on Black Manta and his U Men, Simon. I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing at all about them. My knowledge of the DC universe is much weaker than my knowledge of the Marvel universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. The U-Men are actually from "Marvel Comics" and are antagonists of the "X-Men"; they're basically humans who graft mutant body parts onto themselves in order to steal their powers. Essentially they wear the suits to come themselves 'pure' from the troubles of the World. I much prefer them as scuba-wearing henchmen, maybe even a Third Reich saboteur squad. Either way I've ordered a load more from "Troll And Trade" :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I never knew that. Thanks for the info, Simon.

      Delete
    3. No worries. They're not the most well-known X-Men villain tbh, and I won't be using them as the U-Men but simply scuba-divers. They are very nice models though. Possibly useful as a MiB underwater branch?

      Delete
  2. Is it really week 2 already? I must get on and paint something. These are looking promising though, especially the scuba divers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Black Manta and the U-Men are done. I've a few minis to just finish which I started before the Challenge (so don;t count) and then all hands to the pumps for the Week Three submissions :-)

      Delete
  3. Huh, I'd never heard of Black Manta or the U-men before. Still, the models look like they should make good henchmen, as you suggest :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. I certainly hope to have them in a BatRep as soon as I can :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice job on Black Manta there Simon, I think the first time I saw him was on a set of DC collector cards that came free with weetabix in the seventies, though the U men are new to me, I don't recognise those other three though!

    Cheers Roger..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roger. Black Manta and his cronies have painted up very well (imho). Personally I always associate Weetabix with those Dr Who stand-up cardboard figures but I think I know the card you mean; firing rays from his eyes and holding a small trident pistol. The other figures are very much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  5. That's the one! if I recall correctly Aquaman was riding a seahorse on his and Catwoman had a long purple dress and a cat'o'nine tails whip.
    The Dr Who ones were for board games on the back of the packets. The four different ones went together to make on big one I think.
    I loved the Asterix one s too, shame they don't do anything like those now, simple times, but fondly remembered.

    Just don't paint them too well and make me look bad!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just don't paint them too well and make me look bad!" - Never :-)

      Delete
  6. Black Manta looks fittingly evil. Like the dull reddish glow on his faceplate. Nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. The red is unfortunately just an undercoat however as the finished eyes are (a much brighter) red with a dark red wash. But I'll take compliments where-ever I can :-)

      Delete