Sunday 16 August 2015

'Gotham City High-Rise' - WIP - Part Three

Superhero WIPs - Both Steel and Wildcat should be soon ready for the tabletop
Having finally settled upon a colour scheme for my Gotham City high rise rooftop I have not only managed to finish applying a third coat of “Vallejo” Heavy Red to the interior of my brick walls. But also finished the actual roof’s shingle coating itself using a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Now I need only ‘cut in’ the walls’ stone capping and the interior of my outer rooftop will be complete… Although I may well add a little brown ink to the ground just to break up the decidedly monotone look.
Resin rooftop WIP - Just the stone capping to complete and the rooftop's interior will be finished
 These “Wizkids” models should all be able to play a sizeable role in my planned ‘Battle for Gotham City’ campaign. I’ve yet to decide upon the actual costume paint scheme to use for Batgirl as she has had so many. But Barbara Gordon will almost certainly be predominantly grey with a blue cape and cowl so as to tie-in with my Batman figure. Steel should prove a fairly straight forward paint-job with his all-metallic physique and simple red cape. Wildcat however will undoubtedly be the easiest to finish though as I’ve already painted his all-black ‘gym-attire’.
Supervillain WIPs - Plenty left to do on these various 28mm plastic baddies 
 In addition I have also been basing-up some notable-looking henchmen and a ‘guest-star’ supervillain. This Vampire Roustabout is actually a “Horrorclix” model, and like so many of the figures I own from this range was a greatly appreciated gift from Bryan of “Vampifan’s Wolrd Of The Undead” fame. I don’t actually plan on using the ‘heavy’ as a vampire (for now at least). But thought he’d make an impressive bruiser for one of the Crime Bosses; possibly even for the Joker in view of his giant hammer.

IMAC is actually a test model to see just how well the figure paints up before I commit to buying a number of the miniatures to use as robot minions. Finally I thought Man-Bat would prove an interesting loner, who may well suddenly swoop down upon a battle simply because the noise and activity has attracted his attention.

22 comments:

  1. Most of the figures you've shown here were unfamiliar to me so it was nice to see them. I do like your idea of using the Vampire Roustabout as a minion of the Joker. It seems so fitting. As for your rooftop, I can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I will be trying to give a flavour of my "Heroclix" collection during these WIP posts, otherwise it'll just be lots of pictures of partially painted resin chimneys and roof sections :-) Still I've a few finished minis for the next couple of posts, both of which are related to this project. But give me a chance to show off some of my other partially completed minis. SIG ;-)

      Delete
  2. Good see progress is being made on the Gotham rooftops, vey interested in this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Hoping to have the scenery finished by the weekend, so I can finally start to use it for some games. As an aside though I'm already considering one large enough to house a giant rubber duck automobile ;-)

      Delete
  3. I like the look of that batgirl figure. how do you go about buying those figures, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, I tend to bulk buy from "Troll and Toad" in the US. Their prices are really cheap compared to UK and they have many many more available too. Obviously the P&P can be prohibitive (hence bulk) and once or twice Customs have wanted a fee too. But overall I find them the best.

      Delete
    2. Ah, right. Maybe not then :)
      Thanks for the info.

      Delete
    3. Roy, If you want to email me any models you're particularly after then let me know and if I don't have a spare in my collection you can have, then if I see them cheap I can always add them too my next order.

      Delete
    4. Righto. Thank you.

      Delete
    5. No problem - juts don't expect Galactus to arrive through the post any time soon ;-)

      Delete
  4. As I want to see this project finished, I'm kinda glad that you haven't emailed me (unless my aggressive spam filter had blocked it), so that I can't distract you with dinosaurs. Itching to get back to supers, so looks like it'll be Super September once Oriental Fantasy month is done. No metallic purple outfit for Batgirl? Shame! Nice progress.

    Regards Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jez, that's precisely why I haven't emailed you yet :-) Just want to get this project finished (at least the rooftop) as well as my Antediluvilian" Adventurers and then I'll be all in for some dinosaurs. Sadly my Batgirl won't be so Sixties ;-)

      Delete
  5. Your rooftop is comingalong nicely, looking forward to its completion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My knowledge of superheroes is constantly expanding, due partly to this blog and partly to many games of Dice Masters recently. Many thanks for this; please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colgar6. Many more superhero minis to come, even if I'm just basing then undercoating them ready for another rainy day :-)

      Delete
  7. All looking rather good Bk! Really looking forward to this rooftop rumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Hopefully most of the rooftop will be finished this weekend. For now though I'm just finishing off a few more Batman villains...

      Delete
  8. Looking good there Simon, can I ask are you going to paint the mortar between your bricks? If so can I suggest painting the whole thing with white emulsion and then wiping off the excess with either a cloth or sponge (works for me).

    Batgirl not in sparkly purple? next you'll be saying that her Batcycle wont be frilly!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. No mortar. The bricks will just be washed with brown ink. I've tested it out on some bricks on my Clayface model, and it works well enough for me. No purple and no frills I'm afraid for Batgirl. Well not this for this model of her anyway :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh well, maybe next time. I was sad to learn yesterday that the actress who played Batgirl in the sixties series Yvonne Craig died on Monday.

    I can almost feel my youth slipping away....

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe there is a "Heroclix" model of Yvonne Craig from their TV Series range, Roger, and I too was saddened to hear of her passing yesterday as well :-(

      Delete