Friday 21 August 2015

"You've Upstaged Me For The Last Time, Batman. Time To Bring Down The Curtain."

"You know what I'd have given for a death scene like this? Too bad I won't get to... read the notices."
This 28mm plastic “Wizkids” model of (the second) Clayface is miniature number 9 from the Batman Alpha DC Comics “Heroclix” range. The treasure hunter who originally immersed himself in a mysterious radioactive pool of protoplasm in a cave first appeared in the December 1961 issue of “Detective Comics” and was created by Sheldon Moldoff and Bill Finger.

initially given an undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna before being washed with “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. The supervillain’s safe and steel girder were painted using a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal Grey and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Matt Hagen’s eyes were initially picked out with some “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre before being washed with Strong Tone Quickshade and then highlighted with a dab of more “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre.
"Heroclix" WIPs - A black wash has been applied to Mister Freeze, whilst the others need some detailing
Whilst working on evil shape-shifter I have also been paying a little attention to these “Wizkids” models of Mister Freeze, Rasputin and Cyborg. I’m especially grateful to Roger over on the “Rantings From Under The Wargames Table” blog for the ‘Mad Monk’, who once finished should be able to provide my Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.) miniatures some much needed opposition.
Battlestar Galactica WIPs - Apollo just needs his buttons, collar and weaponry being picked out in gold
Finally I have almost complete the first of my three D-Rangers by “Nexus Miniatures”. I simply need to paint Captain Apollo’s buttons and belt with gold for the Battlestar Galactica” Colonial Warrior to be finished, and as a result have already started to build up some layers of this wonderful representation of Lieutenant Starbuck.

18 comments:

  1. Great stuff mate.

    Though it's suddenly struck me just how huge Apollo's gun is! How would it fit in his holster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The "Nexus Miniatures" D-Rangers are great colourful sculpts but they do suffer with a couple of inconsistencies, such as the gun-size you mention... and Starbuck having jacket buttoned straps on both sides of the opening, as opposed to Apollo simply having them on the one. I also think that scale-wise the minis will struggle to fit in with anything else other than similar models which the sculptor has made.

      Having said that though I plan to buy an awful lot more from "Nexus" as I think they're stuff is great and they've really cornered a niche market. Certainly I have a lot more to paint and post about :-)

      Delete
  2. What I particularly like about Clayface is that he definitely suits being gloss-varnished. As you know, I much prefer figures that are matt-varnished but the wet look of him works very well. Nice to see the others coming along so well. I must agree with Dai about the size of Apollo's gun - it's far too big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I fully appreciate that gloss-varnish is an acquired taste. Apollo does have a rather large gun but as I say the sculpt's scale is a little erratic. However I like him and I would hope once on the tabletop it won't look quite so obvious.

      Delete
  3. I am fascinated by clayface, who originally passed me by as a boy. Love this representation Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It is a rather squat-looking version of Hagen, more closely resembling the character from the TV animated series than the comic books. But is nice nonetheless. I don't think the photos really show his size either, as that's a 40mm base he's towering over.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. Need to make quite a bit of room on my painting table for all those "Antediluvian Miniatures" you keep tempting me with on your blog ;-)

      Delete
  5. Nicely done with the Bat-foe Clayface. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pulpcitizen. One down but another hundred to go...

      Delete
    2. Absolutely PulpCitizen. Still a few more weeks to go though before Zomtober, so hopefully I can get plenty more finished before the themed month challenges begin anew :-)

      Delete
  6. Great finish on Clayface, I only really know him fro the cartoon series and he is pretty similar to that version. You know what they say, if you can't fight carry a big gun! are they going to bring of a figure of "Sheeba" or even better "Cassiopia" and "Athena"! lets here it for the girls!! (sorry I'll calm down now).

    Thanks for the plug by the way and you are most welcome as far as your "mad monk" goes.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. No worries about the plug, that's what this community is for :-)

      Delete
  7. Nice work, Simon. I do like the Clayface figure, but having read the Wanted comic series, can only picture him as the variant from that. I'm curious to see how you're going to finish off Mr Freeze and I'm definitely going to be paying a visit to the Nexus Miniatures site, as nostalgia is exerting a heavy pull on me. Bryan's Spectrum showcase, your Galactica figures, He-Man, Monkey, it's like my whole childhood in 28mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I'm doing a bit of work on Freeze for tomorrow's posting, and having now finished Captain Apollo, I'm also working on Starbuck and Boomer. I know what you mean about childhood in 28mm and I have a few new projects just being prepped which should take you back a few times more ;-)

      Delete
  8. Great job on Clayface Bk! Some excellent progress on the others too dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Much appreciated. Lots more in the queue as well as I try and clear some space for a huge project I have planned for Zomtober ;-)

      Delete