Sunday 13 December 2015

"Sure The Fight Was Fixed. I Fixed It With A Right Hand."

"I'm a winner each and every time I go into the ring."
This 28mm metal of Butch ‘Killer’ Davis is made by “Reaper Miniatures” and comes from their “Chronoscope” range. Sculpted by Tim Prow, this figure arguably makes a somewhat svelte-looking George Foreman; the two-time world heavyweight champion and Olympic gold medallist.

As the boxer had originally been undercoated with the now OOP “Citadel” Dark Flesh, it was initially given a thin layer of Doombull Brown so I could correct any subsequent mistakes without worrying about my new-pigmented paint jarring with the old colour. The athlete’s boots and shorts were painted using predominantly a combination of “Vallejo” White and the transparent acrylic Pale Grey. Although I did also dab a little “Citadel” Nuln Oil around the outside of the fighter’s laces in order to try and give them a little more shadow.

In order to emulate one of Foreman’s more prevalent kit colour schemes, the model’s boxing gloves were given a coat of “Vallejo” Heavy Red, before being heavily washed with “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson. Finally the American’s skin was treated to a coat of “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade.
Cyber Reaver WIPs - Sixteen of these rather fragile robots will eventually be stalking my tabletop
Butch 'Killer' Davis is the first in a whole line of “Reaper Miniatures” I plan to paint as part of my resurrected “Gamma World” project. Some of these models I actually began working on quite a few years ago. Whilst others have simply been sat gathering dust in their blisters or on my shelves. The 2015 Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge should hopefully prove a good opportunity to get many of my untouched backlog painted; especially my small(ish) collection of Cyber Reavers. I plan for these Terminator-like robots to be the main villains of my games, searching the radioactive wastelands for “precious Omega Tech whilst battling” any survivors of the world’s “mythical future disaster.”

In addition I’ve found myself motivated to prime and base a couple of miniatures found on some of my fellow Bloggers’ websites. I actually bought Denver, Zombie Survivor, as a result of seeing Bryan’s terrific posting on “Vampifan’s World Of The Undead”. I’m not actually sure I’ll be using the model as an actual “mutant hero” for my games. But will probably use him as either an objective or encounter which will provide my protagonists with an opportunity to acquire supplies and weapons from within his wheeled suitcase. Having said that though, I didn’t want to rule out using Denver entirely so have based him upon a lipped base as opposed to the flat circular stands I ordinarily use for my objectives.
Giant Worm WIP - The "Bones" model stands a formidable 69mm in height
 My “Bones” Great Worm was bought on a whim whilst visiting the “Orcs Nest” store in London a couple of years ago. Unlike Denver, it has actually been out of its packaging and based for quite a while. But having seen Hugh’s very recent posting of his painted version on his blog “Colgar6 And The infinite Legion Of Toy Soldiers” I thought it was high time to get the impressively large plastic model undercoated and ready for painting…

24 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the 'killer' and you have got some other great figs on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. An easy model to paint tbh. I'm hoping the Cyber Reavers will prove equally as simple to complete too, and help me make a sizeable dent in my Analogue hobbies Painting Challenege tally of 500pts ;-)

      Delete
  2. Loving George, that is a really nice model and very well painted, the Reavers are rather good too and should look the business once done, I too saw the Purple worm on Hugh's site that's am impressive beastie.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Very happy with George. He should be quite the post-apocalyptic survivor with his red boxing gloves :-) The Giant Worm is a corking model, and I'm sorely tempted to get a second, just so I can use one for "Frostgrave" as Hugh has; as mine will be based with green flock and my OCD makes me shudder whenever I see snow and grass flocked miniatures on the table together :-o

      Delete
  3. Great George figure BK, the skin tone is one I seem to struggle to get right, the red of the gloves is a lovely contrast to the white shorts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Da Gobbo Grotto. A lovely mini, and I wish there were more in the range tbh. Good fun to paint something so simple too. The Army Painter seems to do all the hard work with his skin tone.

      Delete
  4. Terrific work, as always, Simon. Since switching to Foundry paints, I am mightily impressed with their range of flesh tones ranging from anaemic white to very dark brown. Your flesh tones on Butch is just spot on and the glossy finish makes him look like he's perspiring heavily. Yes, I know that's not the effect you were aiming for but it sure does look good.

    You just know I'm going to want to see all of your Gamma World work. Those robots fit the bill nicely. I'm pleased you picked up the Reaper Survivor, Denver. He'll work as a PC or an objective. As for the Purple Worm, I MUST buy myself one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butch is undoubtedly one of my fave "Reaper Miniatures" to date, and I'm delighted my gloss finish has given him an added dimension ;-) There's plenty of "Gamma World" stuff just around the corner as I start to work my way through my mountain of "Reaper Miniatures". Plus Hugh's recent postings have convinced me to invest in several large "Bones" creatures which should be wholly appropriate for the project and make the Giant Worm look like a tiny tadpole :-)

      Delete
  5. Lots of exciting things here Simon, i especially like the boxer, but seeing Denver reminds me that I need to pick up that model and then there are those awesome terminators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. "Reaper Miniatures" make some cracking models, and I hope to get through a fair amount of my collection during the Challenge. The Cyber Reavers should look very formidable once painted up and stalking across the tabletop :-)

      Delete
  6. More awesomeness! Especially the boxer...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. Loads of minis coming your way over the next three months - I hope ;-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely job on Butch Bk! Looking forwad to seeing Denver painted dude. The terminators look pretty sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I'm sure my boxer will be putting his gloves to good use when the Cyber Reavers and Rad-Zombies attack.

      Delete
  8. Boxer George looks the biz.

    Wasn't the pre-painted version of the Reaper worm purple too? Regardless, I like the shade you've started with. I am still wanting one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. The boxer is a great model imho. I haven't seen the pre-painted version of the Giant Worm, but always thought that was the colour of them; and that's the colour of Colgar6's too. I may do the underbelly a lighter colour and have a go at blending it in... maybe. Its a great vfm "Bones" sculpt so well worth picking up.

      Delete
  9. It all looks great, Simon. Especially like George.

    GW's OOP Dark Flesh also makes a good starting point for painting severely rusty metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. I use Dark Flesh's replacement Doombull Brown or "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna as an undercoat for gold. I hadn't thought about using it for rusty metal though, so will give it a go next time I paint some. Cheers :-)

      Delete
  10. Butch is a great figure but I do think he could be very limited in use; I've no doubt though that you have a specific purpose for him. It's good to know that old projects are being revived too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Having created him for "Gamma World" Butch is going to be a Hypercognitive Engineered Human; which means he'll be blessed with "Saw It Coming", "Uncanny Strike" and "Exploit Weakness" - three powers I hope will prove rather useful to him when throwing the 'ole one-two combo' at any Cyber Reavers who come within reach :-)

      Delete
  11. Hah, I've got the guy with the suitcase too :-) ! He's one of my longer term languishers; a half-completed model that I just can't find the necessary enthusiasm to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully my painting him can encourage you to finish him then Hugh? I know your blog is costing me a fortune these days with the cracking minis and paint-jobs you keep posting.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. Much appreciated. A definite fave of mine :-)

      Delete