Sunday 27 December 2015

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2015 - WIP - Week Two

Hulk WIPs - The second (original) version will be grey-skinned with blue trousers and a yellow ripped shirt
With the Sixth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge now into its second week, I’ve spent quite some considerable time working on the first of hopefully two identical “Heroclix” models of the Incredible Hulk, which I hope to submit into the event's Nostalgia Themed Bonus Round.

Having finally finished painting the green behemoth's feet and torn purple trousers, I'm now slowly working my way through all the rips and tears of Bruce Banner's horrifically torn white shirt. This really is proving rather time-consuming as despite the model being one of my favourite "Wizkids" sculpts, a lot of the jagged pieces of cloth appear to 'melt' into the anti-hero's flesh; so I'm having to paint in some of the detail.

Once finished however, the garment will be washed with some watered-down "Citadel" Nuln Oil, which hopefully should not only give the distressed garment some depth but cover up any especially obvious mistakes I've made. I'm pretty confident that once this stage of painting the miniature is completed that the rest of him, including his teeth and dark green hair, should be reasonably straightforward to finish.   
Cyber Reaver WIPs - The robots still need to washed with a brown ink before their final highlight
In addition to progressing my "Wizkids" models I have also been painting eight Cyber Reavers by "Reaper Miniatures". These rather 'iconic' looking robots are part of a far larger "Gamma World" project including giant walking mutant brains and flying gorillas, which I hope to significantly develop during the duration of the Challenge. However for now I've just been concentrating on these figures as they're proving to be incredibly fragile and prone to bending and the occasional breakage whilst being painted.

Having undercoated them with "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey, washed and then dry-brushed them, I now just need to make them somewhat 'rusty-looking' before I apply a final dry-brush of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and then get to work painting their weapons.
Indiana Jones WIPs - The Carson Smith model comes with a choice of whip or machete
Lastly I've based, gritted and primed three more miniatures from my "Pulp Figures" collection. These figures come from a couple of Bob Murch's packets, and will hopefully form the beginnings of an "Indiana Jones" project I want to get started over the next few months. Many of the models should also be useful as submissions for the Challenge's Gambler/Risk-Taker Bonus Round. For now though I thought I'd see whether I can get my proxies of Marcus Brody, Henry Jones Senior and the famed archaeologist himself finished over the next few weeks... 

22 comments:

  1. Junior with the whip, just as he should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Wasn't a difficult choice in my books. I did though consider rummaging around for a pistol for his other hand.

      Delete
  2. Is it really week two already! Starting to panic about the nostalgia round now, but hopefully will get some time later in the week. I love the look of the Indiana Jones project, which reminds me that I must crack on with a Pulp entry too - just not enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it is, Michael. I've been pottering around getting some paint on a few projects etc over the past few days. But now sees the start of my painting proper - I hope!

      Delete
  3. Good to see what is coming. I must crack on with Nostalgia now but just as likely to get sidetracked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer Clint. Got a little side-tracked myself and my Hulks' difficulty isn't helping my focus either unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. Simon, I have that Hulk figure and I also repainted him. He's not the easiest figure to paint as you're finding out but persevere. All will come good in the end.
    I'm loving the Indiana Jones trio. Your Marcus Brody figure reminds me of Gunner "Lofty" from "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum." Chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I plan to use the Hulk a lot on the tabletop so I will keep plodding away at him. Thought you'd like the "Indiana Jones" stuff, and I entirely agree with Brody's likeness to "Lofty" :-) I'll also probably use the mini to represent William Harper "Johnny" Littlejohn; the fifth of Doc Savage's aides.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic...especially Indy and co!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking stuff as always Simon. That is the best "Klix'y" figure of the hulk, and deserves a decent re-paint (or two). I like the gangsters as well, and those not'terminators should look the "biz" once finished.

    Keep it up, Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Totally agree about the Hulk sculpt. Best one they've done of him - which is why I own three :-) I'm delighted to say I've now finished the white shirt on my Green version, and am just letting the watered down "Nuln Oil" wash settle before tidying him up and painting his arms and torso etc. He should be done quite soon as a result - I hope. I've also finished painting the first of my not-Terminators - having decided to go with red eyes, so only fifteen more to go and a lot of flocking. The first of my gangsters will be in the next post as they're just waiting for their flock to dry... All moving along nicely.

      Delete
  7. Splendid work Bk! Love Indy, his dad and Lofty from It aint 'alf hot mum. Nice terminators too dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. I thought the Indiana Jones stuff would be popular, and there's plenty of natives and Nazis coming too as a result. My not-terminators should be posted up next week, along with a few other minis I'm just finishing up :-)

      Delete
  8. Looking good, Simon. Especially like Dr. Jones and associates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. The first of my Hulks is now almost complete, and I'm slowly making my way through my "Cyber Reavers" as well. The "Pulp Figures" are great aren't they :-)

      Delete
  9. Nice progress Simon. I'm afraid I've been indulging in the festive period, so not touched a miniature or paint brush in over a week. There will be a midweek 'Beyond Ghostbusters' post, though, and I've ordered more figures for the Ghostbusters project (amongst other stuff), so plenty to look forward to. "Giant walking mutant brains"... might have to take a look at these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. If you've not the time to paint, there's always time to buy right? :-) The Giant walking mutant brains are already based and I'm just waiting for a few other bits to dry so I can incorporate them all into one big "Gamma World" posting ;-)

      Delete
    2. Can hardly wait. However, might be a delay on my next post, as it would appear my laptop has finally given up the ghost. New tablet received for Christmas may be the answer, but we'll have to see how that works out. :-(

      Delete
    3. Oh dear... Well as with all your posts though, I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. They're getting there... at least the "Cyber Reavers" are anyway ;-)

      Delete