Sunday 6 December 2015

"This Is A Story Of Long, Long Ago; When The World Was Just Beginning."

"Tumak!"
This metal model of Raquel Scotch is from “Antediluvian Miniatures” range of 28mm Adventurers. The sculpt is clearly based upon the character of Loana, a member of the Shell Tribe from the 1966 Fantasy-Adventure motion picture “One Million Years B.C.”.
Three adventurers battle Hairy Hominids at the Earth's core
The cave woman was initially undercoated with “Vallejo” Heavy Skintone. Her furs were painted using Heavy Sienna and her spear with “Citadel” Doombull Brown. Both of these areas, along with the savage's "Vallejo" Heavy Brown hair were then washed with “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. The figure’s flint spear-point was painted using a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Finally all of Loana's areas of skin were given a wash of watered-down Reikland Fleshshade.
Butch Davis WIP - This boxer's colour scheme will be very similar to that of George Foreman
In addition to finishing the third and last of my 'Lost World Adventurers' I have also once again started work on my backlog of partially painted "Chronoscope" figures by "Reaper Miniatures". This sculpt of Butch 'Killer' Davis has been either sat in a drawer or left discarded upon my painting table for quite a few years now and was bought as part of a number of science fiction figures I still hope to use for some games based upon "Gamma World"; "A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril" by "Wizards Of The Coast".

20 comments:

  1. And finally you have finished painting your trio of Antediluvian Adventurers. YAY! You've given her darker hair and clothes than I did but why not? I'm showing my age here, but I can remember as a child going to see "One Million Years B.C." when it was first shown at my local cinema. It was part of a double bill (remember them?) with "She" starring Ursula Andress.

    Butch is an impressive figure and appears to be very simple to paint. He is not a figure I own but I do like the sculpt. As for using him in Gamma World, that brings back many happy memories. I was a player in the original version of the game when TSR released it many, many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I must confess it has taken me far too long to get these three fine adventurers by "Antediluvian Miniatures" finished. But they're done now and I can at last carry on with painting up some of the Warlords of Atlantis I bought from the same company. I recall your love of "Gamma World" from my earlier post this year, so thought you'd enjoy seeing a quick WIP of one of my planned games' heroes :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post Simon, and a lovely finished Loana, very brave giving her darker hair but it works really well, you've also managed to paint her face better than mine (so it wasn't the sculpt it was me!! Bum). Funnily enough "Warlords" has just been on the horror channel (I missed it as we were out shopping, but I've got it on DVD anyway).

    As for your George Foreman figure, really nice sculpt, so I wont be giving you a grilling about his painting (sorry, I fetch my coat!).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The face on Loana was somewhat difficult to paint to be fair to you, with the sculpt's cheekbones and very tiny eyes proving especially difficult to pick out. Hopefully we'll see either a Princess Dia or "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" c.1959 party soon :-)

      The Boxer is a cracking model, and I'll most definitely help you on with your coat!! ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'd certainly be up for a "Dia" (Caroline Munro) miniature!

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. It'll be nice to get the trio (and maybe a Ra too). I'd rather like to see the crew in "Warlords of Atlantis" too :-)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant job on the Lost World adventurers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Gordon, and thanks for pointing me in their direction.

      Delete
  4. Oh I say, she is rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Glad to have gotten her finished tbh, after all this time.

      Delete
  5. And there was me thinking that Hollywood cave women only wore outfits made from Chamois leather... Nice work, Simon. Giving her darker hair and clothing really sets her apart from the original subject matter. And whilst I regularly go through the Chronoscope figures, I'd obviously skimmed past this one. A nice clean sculpt and the start of a nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. I'm not really a fan of "One Million Years B.C.", so as such, it wasn't too difficult to go with a somewhat darker look to my cavewoman. The boxer is a cracking sculpt and should be on the tabletop quite soon as a result.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work dude. I think I may have to pick up this girl to add to my post apoc raiders :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Lovely delicate sculpt... She'd look very good photographed on your mossy doorstep :-)

      Delete
  7. Great job, Simon. Ms Scotch does her fur bikini justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. Reasonably simple to paint. Not sure why she took me so long to get finished.

      Delete
  8. Great job Bk! You can't beat a lass in a fur bikini! Does Butch own a rather uncomfortable watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve Bob, and nice "Pulp Fiction" reference btw :-)

      Delete
  9. George Foreman or James Earl Jones in the film, Great White Hope? Love the mini.

    Raquel looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I've actually finished my boxer and he's turned out rather well imho. Should be posted soon. Glad you like Raquel. probably the weakest of the three "Antediluvian Miniatures" Adventurer sculpts tbh. But nice nonetheless.

      Delete