Sunday 1 May 2016

"Salute 2016" - Loot - Part Two

Blake's Seven WIPs - Space Commander Travis, Servalan and Kerr Avon
The first of my pre-orders collected at "Salute 2016", these superb likenesses by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" of Brian Croucher, Jacqueline Pearce, Paul Darrow and Michael Keating will make welcome additions to my "Alien Verses Blake's Seven" project, even if I do already own miniatures of Travis, Servalan, Kerr Avon and Vila Restal.

Fortunately all of these new sculpts by Ernst Veingart depict the 'Federated Security Command' personnel and 'Freedom Fighters' in post-Season One attire. Indeed Avon and Vila both appear in their Season Four costumes. Whilst my 'second' Travis now gives me the opportunity to field the Space Commander as either the Terran Officer ordered to destroy Blake (as played by Stephen Greif) or as the disgraced Federation renegade from Season Two... or perhaps even as both?
"Crooked Dice" WIPs - Two differently posed Claws of SHIVA and Vila Restal
Servalan's figure did admittedly cause me to momentarily pause before purchasing her, as despite wearing the costume seen in the second series story "Weapon", it would once again need to be painted white. Obviously I didn't want to own two miniatures of the same character in similar-coloured dresses, so have decided to paint her clothing bright red instead; bearing in mind that was another popular choice during her later televised appearances.

In addition to my science fiction figures, I also picked up a couple of packets containing the company's Claws of SHIVA sculpts. These 'razor sharp fighting clawed' henchmen would arguably make a good proxy for a lightly armed Shredder (of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero" fame). But for now the four formidable-looking minions will form part of my increasing legion of unfinished martial-artist miniatures I am currently collecting...
Bull Snapper WIP - This large metal miniature has been super-glued to a 40mm circular base
Undoubtedly a spur of the minute buy, and one of several "Privateer Press" models I ended up coming away from "Salute 2016" with, this impressive Bull Snapper is the first of a small Gatorman warband I hope to put together for the new "Hordes" rule-set when it's released later this year.

I've always liked the idea of gaming with some alligators, though if I'd known how difficult it would be to glue this heavy multi-part metal 28mm scale model together I probably wouldn't have bothered. Indeed, despite my best efforts with grey-stuff, there are still a few flaws to the figure's joins which I am hoping my paint-job will predominantly cover up. 

28 comments:

  1. Very cool. I loved Blake's 7 as a kid - I will have to watch it again one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate. Early days for all these minis yet, as I have other "Blake's Seven" figs to paint up first. But they're in the queue, and a second "Alien Verses Blake's Seven" BatRep is just around the corner :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's a great sculpt Martin... Not so sure I'll be agreeing with you though once I start painting it though as its got some fiddly bits beneath the tail which look hard to reach with a paint-brush.

      Delete
  3. More lovely additions Simon, especially the Gator - cracking sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I've not really thought about "Hordes" before. But I must admit now I've started looking at the Gatormen minis - they look terrific.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure whether I prefer the old sculpts to the new...so I look forward to seeing the new Blake's 7 lot painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I prefer these new ones personally. Though I like the old as well. Hopefully I'll have my 'old' Avon, Gan and Servalan finished soon...

      Delete
  5. They're all very good figures but I'm really impressed with the Bull Snapper. What a dynamic figure he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look an absolute swine to paint though Bryan. But all the "Hordes" Gatormen look very cool imho - I just hope they go together a bit better than this one. Although a few are plastic kits (as "Privateer Press" have moved over to hard plastic), so I'd hope they would be a little easier to put together.

      Delete
  6. The truly great thing about the Salute Loot posts is that everyone buys different things and I look at them all and think "Wow!". I can imagine my club playing Blake's 7 or Tarzan (with massive Crocs) equally as them playing ancients or ECW or WW2 or napoleonics!

    What a terrific post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed Clint. I must confess to being addicted to other blogger's Loot posts myself. But thought I'd try something a little different by basing and priming mine first. it does mean they're a little after the show (as such), and I have a few more to do. But hopefully my problems basing/assembling etc make up for that. Its a pity your club stopped playing "Frostgrave" so soon as I did enjoy your AAR on those. Good idea with Tarzan and the Crocs - hadn't thought of that!! But I have now ;-)

      Delete
  7. great post Simon, love the Bull Snapper so dynamic and powerful. Of course I have to love the "not" Shredder who looks terrific, very much like the animated version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. The Bull Snapper is a cracking model and I have more "Salute 2016" Gatormen to come in the next few weeks. Thought you'd like the Shredder. As an aside have you seen the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" Heroclix releases? Not sure about the scale (or pricing) but some look quite nice - especially the Foot Clan Ninjas?

      Delete
    2. I have seen the Heroclix Turtle range and whilst they do look good I won't be buying them. I prefer the figures that Andy recommended to me and I'll be sticking with them.

      Delete
    3. Bryan, you've hit my reasoning behind not buying them right on the head :-)

      Delete
  8. All Excellent looking miniatures. I quite like the Claws of Shiva guys they make good cult enforcers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. "Crooked Dice" have produced quite a few nice-looking martial artist minis... I'm just waiting for an appropriate hero and (yet) another project will start ;-)

      Delete
  9. All nice stuff Simon, that new Villa mini is a belter and really looks like Mike Keating, though like everyone else I have to say the Gator is the star of the show.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The Gatormen models for "Hordes" are crackers (as a while), so expect a few more to be posted up over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  10. Very nice, Simon. I had a feeling that the Blake's 7 new sculpts would be right up your street. As for the not-Shredders, they're nice sculpts. But you need a hero? Hasslefree has some nice individuals, but the Fistful of King Fu boxed set (with the chap from Ong Bak) available from North Star probably has the best selection and price point per model.
    Gatormen? Cool! Might have to take a look at these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I "ahem" have all the Fistful of Kung Fu minis still in their boxes on my shelf... I'd totally forgotten about them!! The B7 minis are good aren't they, and hopefully a few more of the Gatormen will tempt you in the posts to come :-)

      Delete
  11. All the Hordes and Warmachine metal multi-part minis were a sod to work with in my experience. I played version 1 of both rules sets years ago and it was fun, but it seemed to me there were too many power-lists and dropped the game. Might be the group I was playing in though. They are lovely sculpts, I had the Gatorman Posse and they looked great all painted up.

    More Blakes7 is never a bad thing. I like the new sculpts very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I have a few Gatormen to post - once I've put them together, and more "Crooked Dice" minis too. Hopefully they'kk be something there to tempt you ;-)

      Delete
    2. Tempt me?
      I tell you what tempted me of late - we just watched "Serenity" (The Firefly series film by Joss Weadon) and I got the urge to paint up some figs I have of cast members. Didn't follow through as yet, but stay tuned!

      Delete
    3. Oh I look forward to seeing them Dai... Once you've finished your Confederates and done some more Winter WW2 Russians obviously ;-)

      Delete
    4. Ye gawds... it doesnt end, does it?

      Delete
    5. Never. far too many minis out there these days, and nowhere near enough time!!!

      Delete