Sunday 23 October 2016

"Gonna Squeeze The Life Outta You, Joe!"

"You're Going Nowhere, Joe!"
This 28mm single-piece metal model of a Zombie Judge is made by "Mongoose Publishing" and can be bought as Code JD20052 from "Warlord Games". The undead lawman is actually one of the more impressive-looking miniatures created by 'Mongoose Matt' as part of his infamously disorganised October 2012 "Judge Dredd Miniatures Game: Block War" kickstarter, and was unlocked early on in the campaign as part of a Zombie Horde $6,000 stretch goal.

The partially-dressed member of the Justice Department was undercoated with “Vallejo” Iraqi Sand and washed with “Citadel” Thrakka Green. As I wanted the figure to look suitably dank and rancid I painted his boots, knee-pads, belt, elbow-pad and glove with "Vallejo" Heavy Green as opposed to the colour Heavy Grey which I ordinarily use for my custodians of Mega-City One. These areas were then treated to a coat of more "Citadel" Thrakka Green, before I tidied up the Judge's ripped uniform with Abaddon Black.
"Shoulda stayed in your graves, Wormfodder!"
The model's belt buckle, shoulder-pad, and badges were 'picked out' using a combination of "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Whilst in an effort to maintain the illusion that this Judge was dead and starting to rot, I washed his "Vallejo" Heavy Red helmet trim with the much darker "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, as opposed to my normal "Citadel" glaze of Bloodletter.

I would imagine the inspiration for the Zombie Horde's stretch goal, as it included "a number of zombies in ragged Mega-City One garb", was probably Garth Ennis' "2000 A.D." comic book story event "Judgement Day". However, as I currently only own just the one Zombie Judge miniature I plan to use him as the undead Judge Joseph Dredd depicted within the 1984 serial "City Of The Damned". Killed by a mutated future clone of Owen Krysler, the Judge Child, in 2120, this "mindless undead zombie" unceasingly stalked his time-travelling younger self and Judge Anderson until the "unstoppable" zed was transported back to 2107 and "deactivated"...
Mega-City One Undead WIPs - This zombie predominantly just needs his exposed brain to be painted
Alongside my brain-eating Judge Dredd I have also finished painting one of the remaining 28mm multi-part zombies I own which has been assembled from parts made by both "Mongoose Publishing" and "Mantic Games". Like Joe, this particular shambling ghoul was initially primed with “Vallejo” Iraqi Sand and then washed with “Citadel” Thrakka Green. But once dry actually had his shredded clothes painted using "Vallejo" Squid Pink and his belt pouch with Verdigris. Both of these areas were subsequently washed with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade. As a final touch, and in order to make the walking dead look especially futuristic, I gave the zed a "Vallejo" Heavy Blue Mohawk and generously washed it with "Citadel" Asurmen Blue.

With just one more week of Zomtober 2016 left, I still have a handful more of my Mega-City One Undead Horde left to paint. Having 'set down my tools' on my other (side) projects in order to get them finished in time I have made some sterling progress on a third "Mongoose Publishing" cadaver, and hope to have it, along with yet another zed completed within the next few days.

34 comments:

  1. More excellent. Rotting green skin is definitely one of you fortes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Martin. I'm getting plenty of practice :-)

      Delete
    2. I was going to say the same thing as Martin! Great stuff!

      Delete
    3. Cheers Gordon. Much appreciated!!

      Delete
  2. Ace work dude! Love the zombie judge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judge (Un)D(r)eadd Makes me want to go and paint one and play a game. I have enjoyed seeing him progress. It really does make me want to play undead mega city One.

    And it is all your fault. Maybe 3 months in an iso cube might solve that inkling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint (I think!). I'm sure Bryan's imminent Mega-City One marathon will be the icing on the cake for you!! Just one month in an iso-cube with paint, brushes and minis would probably let you paint up enough for a game ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great job Simon, wonderfully gory and slimy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I've contacted "Mongoose Publishing" direct and ordered a few more of the Zombie Judges in the hope that they'll be able to send me some.

      Delete
  5. Those look great

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the Zomtober post I have been waiting for, Simon, as you finally showcase your Zombie Judge. You have done him proud. I won't be using him as Judge Dredd in my own campaign but he will be making an appearance.
    I do like how your other zombies are coming along. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Glad you like him. I've managed to (hopefully) order a few more direct from "Mongoose Publishing", so perhaps Joe won't be so lonely after all.

      Delete
  7. That Judge is a cracker, and the face mask on the second is good too (though doesn't that get in the way when he's eating braaaaaaains!) but I do love the red bum on the last on perhaps he stepped back onto an industrial grinder?

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roger. I did enjoy painting Joe Dredd. The "Mantic Games" torsos are terrifically detailed and that particular sculpt does indeed suggest the zed in question has sat on something it shouldn't have ;-)

      Delete
  8. The judge turned out really well as did your zed and I'm really taken by your zed-flesh (still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm always pleased when a fellow zed-head likes my interpretation of undead green.

      Delete
  9. Great work on the zed, could be Rico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. That's a corking suggestion which I hadn't even considered. :-)

      Delete
  10. Looking good. The clash of pink with the rotting flesh is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieron. I really do like the way the pink 'clashes' with the green on these models. Its tempting to paint everyone "Vallejo" Squid Pink as a result!!

      Delete
  11. Love the judge Simon, was just Thinking could be Rico and lo and behold Fran has said it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Fran's idea about Rico is certainly a good one, and with hindsight I could have gone with a title like "He ain't dead, he's my brother!" ;-)

      Delete
  12. More excellent work on the Mega City Zombies, and the Zombie Judge is an ace mini. Well done mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, those zombies (apart from the very recognisable judge) wouldn't look out of place in many modern and sci fi settings. I'm just wondering whether I need to get some as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. The Mega-City Zombie Horde conversion pieces are currently out of stock at "Warlord Games" as they renegotiate the licence. But I too will be getting some more once they're back on sale.

      Delete
  14. Your focus on Dredd led me to the Warlord Games site, where it appears their 50% off sale has proved rather popular, as the majority of the figures have sold out. Whilst I'm quite taken with some of the fgures (ABC Warriors and Rogue Troopers), I'm loath to give Mongoose Games any money (even by proxy) due to my opinion of their founder. I seem to remember that's German miniature company (Excalibur Miniatures?) do a particularly good not=Hammerstein...I'll see if I can find the link...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly "Warlord Games" reason for their "Judge Dredd" minis being Out of Stock is because their "license on Judge Dredd has almost reached its end" and that they are currently planning the future for its range and game whilst re-negotiating their agreements with the brand owners. Indeed they've emailed me to suggest that they "may decide to modify the way the models will be available" in the future and to watch their website for an update. I have the ABC Warriors as part of my kickstarter but will be interested to see an alternative, as the big fella had a few incarnations

      Delete
  15. Not quite Hammerstein, as the face is wrong, but a nice hunk of metal anyway.

    http://www.excalibur-miniatures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=230

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly would make a nice proxy Jez. Thanks for the link :-)

      Delete
  16. Finished Judge is fantastic! Good contrasts in the scheme and fits perfectly with the other Civvie-zeds already done.

    Great work keeping the mojo going through Zomtober mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Much appreciated. Mojo is very high presently, and with MoVember on the horizon it will hopefully continue to do so for the foreseeable :-)

      Delete