Wednesday 21 December 2016

"Got A Feelin' You ain't Seen Nothin' Yet."

"Speaking of which, when can I get a replacement body? I can't stand this old heap of junk."
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of Robotman is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 009 from their “Heroclix” DC Origin range. Created by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney and Bruno Premiani, Clifford Steele’s brain was placed inside a metal construct after a race car accident destroyed his physical body and is one of the founding members of the Doom Patrol. “Initially dubbed Automaton”, Cliff made his first appearance in the June 1963 issue of "DC Comics" "My Greatest Adventure”.

Originally primed with “Vallejo” Copper so as to totally eliminate the miniature’s factory pre-paint, the figure was washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Copper.  Afterwards, I picked out the super-strong hero’s chest control unit using a combination of “Heavy Blue” and “Citadel” Asurmen Blue, and the device’s wiring with “Vallejo” Heavy Red and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.
"Heroclix WIPs" - These heavily armoured figures have simply been washed and dry-brushed
With the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge having (finally) started, and with an eye somewhat fixed upon the ‘Armour’ themed Bonus Round, I am already working on three more rather robotic “Heroclix” miniatures; all of which are heavily armoured. Foremost of these is a 90mm tall model of T.E.S.S.-One (Total Elimination of Super Soldiers), Pat Dugan’s powered armour suit S.T.R.I.P.E. (Special Tactics Robotic Integrated Power Enhancer), and an impressively organic-looking incarnation of Superman’s nemesis, Metallo. 

I’m planning on getting a considerable number of “Wizkids” figures finished over the next three months, and these reasonably straightforward ‘prime, wash and dry-brush’ models should help get the enthusiasm for my long-running “Cosmic Cube Wars” project back on track; especially if I can build up a sizeable force of minions, ninjas, servo-robots, aliens and vampires…
"Secrets Of The Third Reich" WIPs - These British Commandos with carbines still need a lot of painting
That doesn’t mean however, that this month’s drive to paint up some additional units for “Konflikt ‘47” has ground to a halt. Having recently finished enough “West Wind Productions” Commandos with carbines with which to field a minimalist British force for the “Warlord Games” rule-set, I have dusted off a further six “Secrets Of The Third Reich” Tommies, and started busily adding some pigment to their rifles and body armour.

These additional soldiers should help me greatly bolster my reinforced platoon, and, points-wise, provide me with ample opportunity to either increase the number of zombies my obligatory German opposition can use, or encourage me to paint up/re-base another Third Reich ‘Weird War’ unit entirely.

24 comments:

  1. I have no idea who these Heroclix figures are but they do fit the theme of "Armour" very well. Simple but effective paint jobs.

    As for your Tommies, anything that allows you to increase your number of zombies has to be a good thing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Both S.T.R.I.P.E. and Metallo still have quite a bit of detail to go, but Tess-One doesn't need much more at all before its finished. I have quite a few "SotTR" minis to come; including an American contingent Clint was kind enough to pass my way :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, "Vallejo" Copper is a corking colour.

      Delete
  3. Funnily enough, i've been considering that TESS-One model, as it's a good size for the price. Not entirely sure i'd use it as intended though...
    Not sure if you've seen my latest post, as you'd not commented. Whilst not all the models on their may be to your taste, i thought the not-Silence might compliment your existing Warlord ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jez, I picked up my Tess-One from "Troll And Toad" in the US for peanuts, so I don't know the price this side of the Pond. Just visited your latest posting and commented appropriately ;-)

      Delete
    2. Blue Rat are selling it at £1.49, which i considered pretty good value, based on the size. I know you order quite a bit from Troll and Toad - i'm assuming shipping is fairly reasonable when taking into account that you're probably spending less per figure than in the UK? If so, I might give them a try, as there are a few specific figures that i'm after that don't seem to be readily available this side of the pond.

      Delete
    3. Jez, £1.49 is excellent vfm imho. I've just finished painting him and think he's awesome. Ref "Troll & Toad" I'm happy to include your order with mine next time if you want, I've done it before with Vampifan and its not a problem; albeit I need to paint up a few I currently own before the next order.

      Delete
  4. What great robots/droids! Fabulous models and lovely copper colour on Robotman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I've a few "Heroclix" coming over the next few months and many will be larger than life robots :-)

      Delete
  5. Robotman turned out very well mate.Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. He was a long-time coming, and required my repainting over my original re-paint too. But he'll certainly do :-)

      Delete
  6. More wonderful metal madness, great job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robots and SoTR! It can hardly get any better than that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Clint... though the "SotTR" models could be Americans ;-)

      Delete
  8. Great work on all the pieces Simon, from finished models to WIP's they all show great progression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I like to post a plethora of piccies as you know!!

      Delete
  9. Nice looking automatons very cool looking minis. Nice progress on the SOTR Infantry there getting there nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. There's a nice load of "Heroclix" coming as I finally start to dip into one of my plastic piles.

      Delete
  10. Your 'simple' paint-job on the bots has turned out really well.
    I must admit that I do have an affinity for bots ofall shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I've just finished Tess-One, as that one didn't need much more than a dry-brush. But both Metallo and S.T.R.I.P.E. have a bit more work to do before they're done. Loads of robots coming over the next few months, so hopefully you'll have plenty to enjoy.

      Delete
  11. "minions, ninjas, servo-robots, aliens and vampires" - sounds like the best 70's Hammer Horror ever.

    Lovely stuff mate. Those Robots especially shine. WEll, more brushed steel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Glad you approve. There's going to be a lot of different things to see over the next three months during the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge :-)

      Delete