Tuesday 13 December 2016

"The Sixth Airborne Division Led The Way..."

"...By securing vital positions on the first day of the invasion."
These two 28mm metal models are from the "West Wind Productions" "Secrets Of The Third Reich" blister B-SOTR05 British Commando Carbines, but have had their Gas Mask Heads replaced with some taken from the manufacturer’s excellent ‘Separate Head System’ ‘blister’ SHS-SOTR09 “British Para Heads In Berets With Gas Masks” so as to better represent an Airborne Infantry section on my “Konflikt ‘47” battleground. Equipped with rifles and able to act as "Tank Hunters (if grenades taken)" this squad currently only comprises of four veteran soldiers and an NCO. However, once they’ve engaged the enemy a few times I hope to significantly expand the company with SMGs, an LMG and even a man carrying rifle grenades. 

Undercoated using "Citadel" Doombull Brown and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, both models were initially painted in a manner identical to that applied to my recently completed regular British Infantrymen. As a result their rifles were painted using "Vallejo" Charred Brown and "Citadel" Ironbreaker, before being washed appropriately with more Strong Tone Quickshade and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.
Balewind Vortex WIPs - The "Age Of Sigmar" scenic pieces just need to be dry-brushed
In order to make the Airborne comatants stand out from the standard soldier however, I used an old OOP pot of “Citadel” Knarlock Green for their body armour, as opposed to my force’s ‘usual’ Calthan Brown. These areas were subsequently treated first to a wash of Thrakka Green, and then Devlan Mud. The  veterans' gas mask filters were painted using a combination of Knarloc Green and Devlan Mud, whilst the eye filters were simply ‘picked out’ with Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil.

Because I wanted to make all my models’ famous berets especially red, their headwear was first painted with Mechrite Red, before receiving a couple of generous coats of Bloodletter. This glazing technique was applied as an alternative to my former concoction of Blood Red and Baal Red as, disappointingly, both paint/wash have long since been withdrawn by “Games Workshop”.
"Bolt Action" WIPs - These three British Expeditionary Force models have simply been undercoated
Having now completed enough "Secrets Of The Third Reich" figures for a “Konflikt ‘47” Great British and Commonwealth reinforced platoon, as well as an accompanying Airborne contingent, I have been able to give my “Age Of Sigmar” Balewind Vortex a lot more attention. This formidably tall “multi-part plastic kit” is arguably now two-thirds complete, due to my washing/dry-brushing the scenery piece’s actual vortex, and I am now persevering with the eerie blue paint scheme for the wizard’s heavily-carved stone platform. 

Finally, and with an eye on the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, I have started assembling and priming some of the models found with the British Expeditionary Force boxed set by “Warlord Games”. An impulse buy at this year’s Colours wargaming show in Newbury, these metal miniatures will provide me with a fully-staffed officer, a 10-man section (including NCO) and some heavy-weapon options, such as a Boyes Anti-tank rifle team, Vickers medium machine gun team, and 2″ light mortar team, for both a “Konflikt ‘47” force, as well as one for “Bolt Action”. For starters though I will simply be focusing upon my Second Lieutenant “and two attendant riflemen.”

18 comments:

  1. I should post off a few (3) figures this morning.
    What I can see looks mighty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed Clint, greatly appreciated. I'll be painting them up and posting an American "Konflikt '47" force just as soon as I can ;-)

      Delete
  2. looking good Simon, you can't be far off your target figure ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. These are indeed the last two British models I need with which to play a small game of "Konflikt '47", so expect a BatRep soon ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's almost proper historical... I think you need to add more zombie to them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave LOL... The Germans have the zombies, and the British robots ;-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely stuff as always! Particularly like the look of the BEF figs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. One of the advantages of "Konflikt '47" is that you can play it using either historical or weird war units.

      Delete
  5. Loads of satisfying eye candy here, Simon. Yes, I even like your Balewind Vortex! Your painting of it is top notch and I look forward to seeing it completed.

    One of the things I really like about West Wind's SOTR figures is the option to use different heads on their infantry figures. Those three Bolt Action "Tommies" have been beautifully sculpted. I bet they'll be a joy to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan, good to see you even giving some "Games Workshop" "Age Of Sigmar" scenery some love ;-) I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with "Konflikt '47" and painting the minis I need to expand upon the rule-set. The "Bolt Action" Tommies do indeed look terrific imho :-)

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the commandos, and a nice start of the vortex-thingy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. Hoping to get my "vortex-thingy" finished soon ;-)

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the WW2 stuff, it been a while since I dabbled in this period myself (and at a smaller scale), but I can still appreciate a well painted mini, look forward to these British Robots when you start on them.

    The vortex thingy looks good too though we only get to see bits of it (you tease), love the colour you've chosen for it.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. "Warlord Games" have yet to release the British robots as a single unit yet - they're only available as part of the British Army "Konflikt '47" Starter Set. But just as soon as they appear I'll be buying quite a few ;-)

      The Balewind Vortex is rather tall, so hard to photo tbh. However, once I've painted and assembled it, they'll be plenty of shots as it is an impressive piece of scenery.

      Delete
  8. A bit disturbing seein paras with gasmasks, but I guess that's the genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Joe!! You can't have Weird War without gas masks, and a British Army without Paras!!

      Delete
  9. What type of rifle is that para holding?

    Very nice work throughout! That red really does stand out nicely and the floaty skull platform is shaping up to be a real treat to the eye mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Dai. All the "SotTR" riflemen carry carbines. Hopefully the Balewind Vortex will get finished soon!!

      Delete