Sunday 1 January 2017

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Mad Max" January 2017

Mad Max WIPs - The Road Warrior has been primed and dry-brushed. I've now started work on his details
This month's randomly themed attempt to try and reduce my overwhelming collection of metal, plastic and resin miniatures will see me painting up a number of "Copplestone Castings" sculpts from Mark's Future Wars range. I've actually owned quite a few of these models for at least a decade, but last year added a few more to my collection, courtesy of "North Star Military Figures", in an attempt to try and 'kick-start' a post-apocalyptic project based upon the 2015 motion picture "Mad Max: Fury Road".

Sadly, in the end, I found I only had the momentum to convert a female Scavenger Hero into a rough approximation of Charlize Theron’s character Imperator Furiosa, and didn't even manage to finish painting the Main Force Patrol's "top-pursuit man" himself... However, my Road Warrior shouldn't remain in his unpainted state for much longer, as I have already dusted him down and started 'picking out' all the pouches and accessories Rockatansky carries about his person.
Armoured Car WIPs - The 'Interceptor' has been undercoated and dry-brushed, and is ready for inking
In addition to painting Max and Furiosa I have also bought a couple of 1/55th Scale Vehicles from "North Star Military Figures" to use as my main protagonists' vehicles. Admittedly, this resin Mgebrov Single-Turret Armoured Car doesn't look much like Max's famous Interceptor, but I thought all the welded bolts and retro-looking technology would give me an opportunity to 'rust' the vehicle up, and thus look like something which may have been cobbled together in the post-apocalyptic outback.

Currently I have primed the sleek-looking vehicle "Citadel" Chaos Black and dry-brushed it with some "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. Then, once I have painted its wheels silver, and given the car a wash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, the automobile will be fixed to the usual "Games Workshop" plastic 120mm x 92mm oval base I super-glue all my vehicles onto. From there I should be able to start rusting the it up a little with various washes and dry-brushes...  
Terminator Robots WIPs - The T-800 models have been primed, painted, washed and dry-brushed
Perhaps unsurprisingly, my "future Australia" will contain far more than 'just rogue' cops and scavengers. Indeed, if I can I hope for its dry and dusty dunes to additionally be home to androids, extra-terrestrials, the Undead, Bikers and all the other types of miniatures that can be found within "Copplestone Castings" Future Wars Range. For now though I'm simply going to stick to the horde of Mark's miniatures I currently own, and perhaps even finish some re-basing I have been doing on a number of fully-painted Plague Zombies for the past twelve months.   

As a result I thought I would start with five formidable Terminator Robots. These T-800 models, perhaps survivors of Skynet's Sydney Headquarters, will not only make unusual adversaries for Max and Furiosa. But, unlike Max himself, will also be eligible as submissions for the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, and thus help me get ever closer to my target 500 points (and one hundred painted 28mm models in three months). 

36 comments:

  1. That's a cracking "Max" sculpt Simon, be nice to see him finished. The other models particularly the vehicle look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, that's one of the things I'm hoping to be able to do with these random subject matters, is dig out all my old stuff and get some 'old' partially painted minis finished.

      Delete
  2. These should prove a happy hunting ground for your creativity Simon. I think I ended up buying a load more Copplestone miniatures off the the back of you picking up this miniature. I have long fancied a saunter in the post apocalypse world having backed Across the Dead Earth and more recently received my copy of This is not a Test rules as a result really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I too have a fairly sizeable stash of "Copplestone Castings" to get through so my fingers are crossed. I'd be very interested in your thoughts Ref "This Is Not A Test".

      Delete
    2. As soon as I get round to it, you will be the first to know. :)
      In the interim, saw this an thought of you: http://www.studiominiatures.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=55&Itemid=511
      Perfect for your project! :D

      Delete
    3. Oh wow. That looks awesome and seems extremely well priced too. If I can get my two "Copplestone Castings" vehicles finished that'll definitely be on the list for "Salute" - you rotter!!! ;-)

      Delete
    4. I have to say I was thinking the same, very reasonable indeed. It will be on my list for Salute too. :)

      Delete
    5. "Studio Miniatures" have quite a few zombie mobs I'm interested in too, so I'll see you in the queue :-)

      Delete
  3. Always liked Mad max, and thought a game of it would be awesome, there was a couple of gaming systems released last year (Road house 666) but what stopped me was the vehicles weren't in 28 mm scale, shame as they made an interceptor model.
    Your painting is moving along Simon, hope you make your target figure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I have four shanty town huts I picked up from somewhere to paint too ;-) I'll post these up once I get started painting them, but they'll be ideal for submission to the AHPC for their Terrain: Home submission. My AHPC counter is slowly moving up, and should progress a little more once Thursday comes and my weekly entries are posted...

      Delete
    2. Someone makes shanty huts COOL ! LOL. Reminds me I need to finish one of the wife's projects of a crushed car that would fit in this world

      Delete
    3. Ha Ha!! I'd certainly have a use for a crushed car :-)

      Delete
    4. Too many projects and not enough time is my biggest problem, may have to cut my sleep down to an hour a day to give me enough time to make everything I want ! LOL

      Delete
    5. You sleep for more than an hour a day - Wow!! I couldn't paint half as many models if I didn't try and go without any ;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, so January is going to be Mad Max month. Cool! I need to paint my own batch of Mad Max figures, so hopefully you'll inspire me. That's a great figure of Max himself. I just recently watched "Fury Road" again and it is a great film. Like Dave, I'd love to see a post apocalypse road based game that uses 28mm scale vehicles and figures. Too many use 20mm scale vehicles which is just meh! Do you have any rules in mind for using with your own collection? I am very much looking forward to seeing how this project develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I'll be going for "7TV" for the rules, as that way I can continue to mix up my genres as and when. For now I just want to get Max finished, the T-800's and the two vehicles I own done, and then throw them into a mix with all the re-based Plague Zombies etc I've been doing from time to time. Hopefully, they'll then still be time to get some other minis painted for the project before I draw another subject for February.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on Max, Though I still don't like the new film ;-)

    I like the idea of using WW1 tanks as road warrior cars, though wider tyres would give it a more modern look imho (just a thought).

    Using Terminator robots in the project too is inspired though, I do like that idea immensely.

    Good luck with the challenge.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I sadly can't help you not liking "Mad Max: Fury Road", but it's the best imho. I did consider bigger wheels with the vehicles, but having assembled them thought the majority were thick enough. Obviously the front ones on my 'Interceptor' are a little bike-like though. Hopefully they'll be plenty of interesting minis to see in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  6. Lots to like! The terminators looks very erhm metal! In just the way a terminator should look very metal. In other words good. I like the armoured car a lot. I shall enjoy it being painted. And mad max is such an Iconic character one just has to like it! It looks Like January will be a very good month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I've got two of the T-800's done and ready for the AHPC on Thursday, and hope to have the other three finished by then as well. Oh course, I do have some sheep to do too ;-)

      Delete
    2. Posted my AHPC figures to Kyle this morning.... 2nd Class large letter! With proof of postage of course!

      Delete
    3. I should have mine done by today, doing the others as a couple of "Frostgrave" objectives...

      Delete
  7. Love Max! I've got a bunch of Copplestone Scavengers and a Max waiting their turn to be painted up for Rogue Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I was thinking about Mad Max in outer space when I first picked him back up. Definitely doable!

      Delete
  8. Anyhing that inspires you to reduce the lead mountain has to be a good thing, but I've always foundthat there's just one more minature that's needed in any project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. "There's just one more miniature that's needed in any project." - Very true indeed :-)

      Delete
  9. A project that is off to a good start; well done. :)

    Good luck with the 3 month target. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. A personal 100 minis target for the AHPC as I think I should manage the official 500pt target okay if I can keep to my current painting rate.

      Delete
  10. I do like Mr Copplestone's work and shall be drafting some of his near future troopers from the Grenadier days as UNIT troops, as the uniform is a pretty good match. Although ido seem to have quite a few 'bare-armed' troops, so might have to do something about this.
    Will you be combining the Mad Max figures with your Gamma World project? Gamma Max, perhaps? They do seem to share a commonish background...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't necessarily plan on combining the minis Jez, as the scales a bit different between "Copplestone Castings" and "Reaper Miniatures" imho, and I've based them differently too. However I certainly plan to use the scenery I have planned for the pair :-)

      Delete
  11. Interesting. I have a few post-apocalyptic savages of my own, but no particular plans to use them. I'm watching with interest to see where this goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh. I'm already cracking on with the T-800s, and Max himself just needs varnishing, so things are progressing nicely...

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year Simon! Nice start with Max its a nice version of him that I must get around to purchasing! As you know Post apoc is one of my fave genres so looking forward to your output for this project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. 'Mad Max' really is going well, with both him and the T-800's finished and just waiting for varnishing/basing. Hopefully they'll be plenty on show for you to see :-)

      Delete
  13. Max looks sweet so far! I really need to pick up one of these figs - my good mate cosplays a great Madmax with his Fury Road home made costume and it'd make for a great gift I think.

    That armoured car - give it a few spikes and some rust and it'll fit right in to that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Max is finished and ready for posting (as soon as I figure out a slot!!). They'll certainly be plenty of rust on Max's car... not sure about the spikes though. It's not a "Games Workshop" model y'know ;-)

      Delete