Saturday 14 January 2017

"Max. My Name Is Max."

"My world is fire. And blood. Once, I was a cop..."
This 28mm metal model of a Road Warrior was produced by “Copplestone Castings” as code FWX1 and was actually a freebie (along with a "Future Wars" order) from "North Star Military Figures". The sculpt has clearly been heavily influenced by actor Tom Hardy's portrayal of Max Rockatansky, as seen in the 2016 motion picture "Mad Max: Fury Road", so as a result I have tried to stick to the colour scheme of the former Australian Highway Patrolman's costume from that film.

The model was therefore initially undercoated with two coats of "Citadel" Abaddon Black and dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. I then washed the one-time member of the Main Force Patrol with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and subsequently painted his boots using a combination of "Vallejo" Charred Brown and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"Heroclix" WIPS - Servo-Guard, Darkseid and Doombot
With the miniature's main layering now finished, I started to pick out all his pouches, his blanket, his spare knee-pad, his shotgun's stock and some tubing with "Vallejo" Heavy Brown, Iraqi Sand and Heavy Sienna. All of these areas were then washed with more "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Finally, I painted his firearm's barrel and trigger with "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, and his scarf with Chaos Black.

Unfortunately, because I started painting Mad Max before the start of the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, he isn't eligible for entry. However, that doesn't mean I have slackened in my output for the three-month long contest, and have been steadily progressing a number of plastic figures by "Wizkids" 'behind-the-scenes'. Indeed, I have already completed one of my "Heroclix" Doombots, and have therefore started work on the second of three identical models.
"Doctor Who" WIPs - Morbius and Yartek the Voord
Similarly, I have been putting the final touches on my "Black Tree Design" miniature of Yartek; the villainous Voord responsible for murdering Arbitan in the 1964 television serial "Doctor Who And The Keys Of Marinus". Once finished, this frog-suit-wearing extra-terrestrial will actually lead six of his entirely black-clad brethren as a sizeable 'William Hartnell era' submission for the AHPC.

In addition, I've also begun work on one of the most murderous Timelords yet depicted on the BBC science fiction programme, Morbius. Perhaps best known for having had his brain placed inside a transparent plastic artificial case by Mehendri Solon (as depicted in his "Black tree Design" sculpt), the "notorious and malevolent renegade" President of Gallifrey has more recently come to my notice courtesy of the "Big Finish" audio story "The Vengeance Of Morbius".
THE COSMIC CUBE WARS - The Hulk, Captain America, Spider-Man and Howard The Duck must save New York

32 comments:

  1. Mad max 2 is one of my favourite films. Nice to see your version of the iconic hero. very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. Much appreciated. "Mad Max 2" was one of mine too until "Mad Max: Fury Road" - the best of the bunch so far imho.

      Delete
  2. Not seen the most recent Mad Max, but clearly recognisable. Good job mate. I am always in awe of your productivity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. I would hope you would thoroughly enjoy "Mad Max: Fury Road". I'd certainly recommend it. Lots of simple paint-jobs on the go at the moment, which is why I can squeeze these older abandoned minis in from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Great job on Max Simon, the heroclix and Dr Who figures are progressing well as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Good to get Max done as he's been sat on the tabletop for a good six months. Just pushing through with the "Heroclix" and "Black Tree Design" stuff so I can get on with a couple of gifts I've bumped up the painting queue ;-)

      Delete
    2. I wonder what those could be ! ; )

      Delete
    3. A couple of incredibly well-sculpted minis I'd say ;-)

      Delete
  4. He's a great Max...I have one which will be heading Matt's way soon for Rogue Stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. I certainly think the sculpt would work well in "Rogue Stars" too. It's full of character imho.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you have finally finished painting Max. "Mad Max 2" was my favourite Max film until I saw "Fury Road". Pure action from start to finish.
    I'm greatly looking forward to your Zombicide batrep with Captain America, Hulk, Spiderman and er,... Howard the Duck (I hope he gets killed off!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I too was in the exactly the same boat Ref "Mad Max 2", until "Fury Road" came along - superb film and just what Mad Max is all about.

      It's taken me a long while to get "The Cosmic Cube Wars" started, and I have moved away from using "Age Of Sigmar" to "Zombicide" for my rule-set. But hopefully this should be a blast - providing my fave comic book character Howard The Duck doesn't die ;-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers Fran. Hopefully he will be in my BatReps.

      Delete
  7. That is a nice looking version of Max (though the wrong one, as only films with Mel Gibson in count ;-)). But where are the terminator robots mentioned at the start of your post?

    I didn't know there was an audio sequel to "The Brain of Morbius", how do then get round the fact that he fell off of that cliff?

    Looking forward to the cosmic cube campaign immensely.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger - You really need to settle down to multiple viewings of "Mad Mad: Fury Road" though until you enjoy it as much as I :-)

      How utterly bizarre about the Terminator Robots!?! The post's text definitely seems to have been corrupted somehow, as that isn't what I wrote at all - nor what I was previewing last night before posting. I have refreshed the text and it seems to be okay now though...

      "Big Finish" audios do loads of "Doctor Who" sequels and have massively expanded the classic era mythos - Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor has been especially well fleshed out. Morbius returns by one of his brain cells being recovered and merged with the DNA of a living Time Lord. He doesn't last long though as both he and the Eighth Doctor tumble to their deaths down the selfsame crevasse; albeit Paul McGann later returns.

      Fingers crossed for the "Cosmic Cube" campaign - lots of scenarios to play through... ;-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely work I must purchase this miniature! Interesting to see Darkseid I am meeting some of characters such as Big Barda and Knockout in the Birds of Prey series.

    Nice start on the clix and Who mini's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. It is certainly a great mini of Mad Max imho. Jack Kirby created some corking comic book characters but sadly seems only to be really known for his "Marvel Comics Group" work. His "DC Comics" stuff is just as good.

      Delete
  9. MM2 is still my fave, yes I like the new version but it has to be Mel and that Interceptor...

    He's a great sculpt though and will fit nicely with Furiosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm looking forward to having Max and Furiosa settle down to some BatReps in the near future ;-)

      Delete
  10. Nice to see Max finished and some more progress on your 'clix.
    Funnily enough, prior to placing my last order with Black Tree, I was debating whether to include Morbius, but decided that an Ice Warrior would be more 'useful'. However, there are some characters that you just want, even if they only appeared in one story and have limited use on the tabletop, so i'm sure Morbius will join my collection at some point, along with the Melkur.
    And whilst not an entirely accurate version of the character, the 'Howard the Duck' movie is one of my guilty pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. I'm really enjoying finishing off a number of these models which had been stood around for far too long, and Max was especially pleasing to complete.

      As you may have guessed I am slowly working my way through my "Black Tree Design" "Doctor Who" collection, and hope to have Yartek and his Voord posted later next week.

      I fear enjoying "Howard The Duck" the movie is indeed a very guilty pleasure, and not one I can associate with in any way sadly. You must be quackers :-)

      Delete
    2. Simon, don't worry I liked Howard the duck too.

      Delete
    3. I thought his appearance at the end of "Guardians Of The Galaxy" was superb, Andy... But that's the only cinematic appearance I'll recognise ;-)

      Delete
  11. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, now where did I put mine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Perhaps its behind your next impressive Themed Bonus Round entry for the AHPC ;-)

      Delete
  12. A good collection of figures there! Nice to see Doctor Who getting some attention as well as more recent movie icons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh. Trying to juggle between "Doctor Who" and "Copplestone Castings" presently :-)

      Delete
  13. I'm not a big fan of Max, but this figure was instantly recognisable from the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. It is a great "Mad Max" mini imho.

      Delete
  14. Max looks sweet! One of your best of recent posts for sure! Need a pic with him next to Furiosa.

    Not familiar with those Who badguys. The claw-fellow looks very strange indeed. But I really like the robed character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Very much appreciated :-) Max and Furiosa will be appearing together in their BatRep soon. Yartek the Voord Leader is now finished fortunately, as are my three doombots.

      Delete