Wednesday 22 February 2017

"I Want To Get A Closer Look At That Melkur Creature."

"Melkur will be out of action a while. Let's try and make that a permanent arrangement, shall we?" 
This 28mm metal model of Melkur is manufactured by “Black Tree Design” and can be bought as code DW455 from their "Doctor Who" range. Initially thought to simply be a corrupted creature, who having been attracted to the planet Traken, immediately became frozen in stone, this walking statue was subsequently revealed to be the Master's TARDIS, and first appeared in the January 1981 BBC Television science fiction serial "The Keeper Of Traken".

The model was originally primed with "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand, washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and roughly dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand. However, I was far from happy with the finished result, and having studied my source material, felt the figure's larger areas should appear far flatter than the dry-brush had created.
Plaguebearer WIPs - These daemons currently need all their sores and wounds washed with inks
As a result I repainted the entirety of Kassia's long-time mute companion with another coat of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand and only left the brown-stained recesses alone. I then washed the entire model with some heavily watered-down "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Still disgruntled with some of the shading, I lastly 'touched up' some of the recesses with a thin line of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The time machine's eyes were achieved with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.

Having become rather frustrated with my Melkur, I have sought solace by painting lots of bloody open sores, hanging entrails and bulging boils on three more of my Plaguebearers for my "Age Of Sigmar" Nurgle Host. These lesser daemons really are very characterful, and great fun to put a brush to, especially when they have such horrendous mutations such as belly-teeth, spider-eyes and a cherub-faced Nurgling merrily leading you forward by the intestines.
Boromite Overseer Squad WIPs - These models now need to have some detailing done
In addition, as with my most recently finished Nurgle Tallyman, a couple of these mini-vignettes will also act as my ‘elite’ Plaguebearers for the “Warhammer 40,000” skirmish game “Kill Team”. Although for now they all still need to be washed with a combination of green, brown and red inks, before having all their zits and puss-filled spots dutifully highlighted...

Finally I have set aside a little time to put a "Citadel" Nuln Oil wash over my "Warlord Games" Overseer Squad for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares", and started tidying up their gritted bases. I was actually planning on dry-brushing the Boromites with some additional grey. But actually really like the way the colour has mixed with the "Games Workshop" Shade, so have left them as is for now.

24 comments:

  1. Didn't know that about Melkur, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The daemons are coming on nicely you must have quite a task force by now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I'm up to 13 Plaguebearers currently, so once these are done I'll be up to 16 with four more to come (I've just assembled them!!).

      Delete
  3. Great job on Melkur Simon, you seem to be knocking through these plaguebearers at quite a pace. The skin tone on the Boromites looks very stone like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The Plaguebearers are a bit time-consuming tbh, especially when compared to the Bloodletters. But I'm getting there. I too liked the Boromites' stone skin, hence my reluctance to dry-brush them.

      Delete
  4. Some evil/nasty looking critters there. Although I do know the melkur is not evil... but the nuglings are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. The Nurglings are great little cheeky chaps imho.

      Delete
  5. That's a decent paint job on Melkur. The Nurglings are looking suitably disgusting and I'm intrigued to see how your Boromites end up. Another eclectic post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I always like to be eclectic when I can ;-)

      Delete
  6. Excellent, "The Keeper Of Traken" sounds like another episode I need to add to the collection. Lovely job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I certainly recommend "The Keeper of Traken" as one of my fave Tom Baker stories.

      Delete
  7. Melkur looks like a very simple model to paint; not many colours or details. But these are often the hardest, I find.

    The Boromite's flesh - if that's what it is - looks good. The detailing on clothing & equipment will add a little colour, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. I definitely underestimated Melkur, but I'm quite pleased with the final result. The Boromites will have yellow armour with plenty of rust, so they should be rather colourful once finished.

      Delete
  8. Melkur...also on my lead pile...came out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Melkur, one of my favourites and you've done a cracking job on him. All the other stuff is coming along very well too, all in all I'd say it was a good week for you.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Things are ticking along nicely :-)

      Delete
  10. Ah, "The Keeper of Traken", which not only introduced Anthony Ainleyvas the Master, but also the lovely Nyssa. I remember being creeped out by the Melkur, especially when it appeared on the throne. Nice work, Simon. And your featuring of the Boromites caused me to take a second look at this range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. The Melkur's a fave of mine too - though not this particular model ;-) I'll certainly be posting a lot more "Antares" stuff come April, Jez, and there should be plenty more WIPs coming too over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  11. How big is the Melkur? It looks interesting from the perspective of never having heard of it before. There are many Who stories I need to catch up on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything Dai, Melkur is possibly under-sized, as he sits comfortably on a 28mm circular base. Height-wise he's a 37mm.

      Delete