Wednesday 9 August 2017

"The Beacon Is Ours."

"Once our landing is detected, the Vogans will attack in force."
This 40mm tall metal Cyberman miniature is made by “Warlord Games” and can be found within their "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013. Sculpted to resemble one of the silver giants during Gerry Davis's 1975 television serial "Revenge Of The Cybermen", this was first version of the "cybernetically augmented humanoids" to appear in a Cyberman story which didn't "include an appearance by the Second Doctor."

Originally primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the model later received two layers of Ironbreaker and a wash of Nuln Oil. The Cyberman was then dry-brushed with more Ironbreaker, and had its eyes, mouth and central chest unit 'picked out' with Abaddon Black. Unfortunately, I ultimately found the facial details of this miniature a little soft, predominantly because I'd already applied three layers of paint to the area, so really struggled to make a neat job of the Cyberman's eye and mouth slits. 
"Silence. We have not failed. Our computers are assessing an alternative plan."
After several attempts, and becoming increasingly aware that my efforts were only adding more pigment to the troublesome area, I eventually decided to scrape away all the paint from the face, and simply applied a single coat of "Citadel" Ironbreaker to it. Once I had washed this part of the figure with Nuln Oil, as well as dry-brushed it yet again with Ironbreaker, I found the detail far easier to spot with the naked eye and 'pick out' with Abaddon Black.

Initially, I was going to leave the model well enough alone at this stage, and even went so far as to varnish and flock it. Delightfully however, I then received two additional copies of the sculpt from "Warlord Games", in thanks for all my coverage of their "Into the Time Vortex" range, and thus took the opportunity whilst working on them, to turn my first miniature into a Cyber-Leader by painting the "altered handlebars on the helmet" with some "Citadel" Abaddon Black.  
Dracula's America WIPs - A Wendigo, and two Crusaders of the Order
Gordon Richards, famed owner of the "I Have Wrought My Simple Plan..." blog, recently made me aware of the "North Star Military Figures" 'Nickstarter' "Dracula's America", and unable to resist the allure of the Weird Wild West game, I uncontrollably pre-ordered some of its models. To be honest, despite the attraction of a world where "Count Dracula is President of the United States of America", I actually plan on using these miniatures as replacements for the disappointingly poor multi-part plastic characters found in the "Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death" boxed set.

As a result I have immediately based and primed two Crusaders of the Order so as to represent the Lawman and Rancher from "Flying Frog Productions" board game. In addition, I have started work on a disconcertingly tall Wendigo, which has proved simply too disturbing a model not to want to paint...

24 comments:

  1. Another great Cyberman Simon, and the new models look very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. "Dracula's America" has some very interesting minis in its range, and hopefully I'll be able to showcase the better ones over time.

      Delete
  2. What a very generous offer from Warlord Games. I was wondering how come you managed to get three figures of the same Cyberman as I couldn't imagine you buying three boxed sets.

    You painting figures for "Shadows of Brimstone"? Well, I never! I agree that the plastic heroes in the starter boxes are not the best of sculpts but they are passable. Using metal or resin proxies is a good idea and "Dracula's America" is a good source for alternative figures. By the way, the official alternative sex figures of the heroes of "Shadows of Brimstone" are made of resin and are vastly superior to the plastic versions. I have them all on my painting table right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Warlord Games" have been extremely generous to me, Bryan, and I'm really pleased with these two additions to my Cyber-force. I was actually tempted to buy 5-6 boxes of "Nightmares In Silver" at one stage, but the price was totally prohibitive to such a plan (so I could field groups of 5-6 of each incarnation), plus some of the poses don't lend themselves to such an idea either.

      "Dracula's America" and "Wargames Foundry" accompanying range look absolutely spot on for "Shadows Of Brimstone", and having finally played my first game, I'm eager to play more - but with better looking minis than the plastic versions. I look forward to seeing the resin versions you're painting :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done you and Warlord Games, nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. "Warlord Games" are my number one manufacturer tbh, and their support for "Into The Time Vortex" is first class, imho.

      Delete
  4. Super job on the Cyberman and what a great gesture from the Warlord Games HQ. When you say "scrape away" the paint, did you mean literally? I only ask because I always use 'Dettol' as a safe paint stripper on plastic minis.
    Those North Star weird west minis look very tempting - I'm toying with the idea of something along those lines for this years "Halloween game" (an annual rules-lite bit of fun with some 'non-gamers')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wargame Addict. I'm full of grateful enthusiasm for "Warlord Games" as you'd probably expect. As to your question, I did indeed literally scrape the paint off of the metal miniature and gouge it out of the eye and mouth slits.

      I'd certainly recommend having a look at the "Dracula's America" miniatures range. Tbh though, some of the minis I've bought are a little underwhelming in the flesh when compared to how they look in the rule-book. But hopefully I can paint them into shape :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh great, you've done a cross-over and have the Cybermen doing the Three Amigos routine!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HXEN11wS8
    For those wondering what I'm on about.

    Nice one Warlord Games!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really does annoy me when you find Cybermen urinating in the graveyard on the on the way home from the pub!! Seriously nice gesture on Warlords part, you must have sold a few sets for them now, with all your excellent posts.

    Not sure about the whole Dracula as president thing though, seems a bit silly to me (but then you look at who's there at the moment, and I'm not so sure....), nice figures all round though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. "Warlord Games" have certainly been very kind with their support for my paint-jobs etc, and I consider myself very lucky to have an additional two "Revenge" Cybermen; my fave Cyberman story :-)

      Delete
  7. Sorry. But I shall look forward to seeing you paint them up! Matt's got a couple more lots of gangsters to do for me before he gets to my Dracula's America figs so I it'll probably be late Autumn before I have mine ready to do battle. And by then I will be in the new house and hopefully able to start playing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case I'll expect your ever-awesome comic-based BatReps to keep me warm in the winter, Gordon. Good luck with the house move :-)

      Delete
  8. Look at you getting some recognition and lovely freebies from Warlord. One day some beneficient miniatures producer will notice my hobby. Or more likely not. Haha! ^_^

    Despite wrestling with him, the Cyberman commander looks spot on.

    Gordon always seems to be picking up "something" new. No idea how he does it, I can barely find time to play the few rules systems I own! Dracula's America does look interesting and makes me think of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer, which would make for some good inspiration I think.

    "which has proved simply too disturbing a model not to want to paint..." - this is the best reason I've seen to date for a reason to slap paint on a mini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Dai. I have done a couple of painting guides for "Warlord Games" and their "Into the Time Vortex". Only tabletop quality obviously, so am really pleased with their response :-)

      The Wendigo is an incredibly odd miniature and very typical of the utter weirdness which is "Dracula's America". He's been pushed right up to the top of my painting queue, so expect a finished mini soon; or as soon as my posting schedule allows as I've got a couple of weeks worth of minis ready to post beforehand :-)

      Delete
  9. Excellent work the latest Cybermen, Simon, and the leader stands out nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. "Revenge Of The Cybermen" is my fave Cyberman story, I must listen to the audio of the TV show at least once a day, so it was great to get the Cyber-Leader done, and then be sent two reinforcements :-)

      Delete
  10. The Cybermen look great even if a little disturbing se tin the graveyard.
    As for the "dracula's America", the whole idea leaves me cold though the figures are excellent sculpts and I love the Wendigo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I'm not sure about about getting into the rule-set for "Dracula's America" myself, but as replacement minis for "Shadows Over Brimstone" then I think they'll be a vast improvement.

      Delete
  11. Another fine addition to your Doctor Who collection dude and I must admit do like some of the Dracula's America weird characters. Look forward to seeing your finished Crusaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I think the Crusaders look awesome, and hopefully they'll be finished soon(ish).

      Delete
  12. Nice work. But I can't look at these Cybermen without thinking of Princess Leia :). 'Dracula's America' does not interest me but some of the figures may be good for regular Wild West games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I've certainly seen some 'mock-ups' similar to your Leia thinking :-) I too don;t think I want to get into yet another game but the minis for "Dracula's America" look good to me for "Shadows Over Brimstone".

      Delete