Monday 7 August 2017

"What's The Worst That Could Happen?"

"Dr Pepper, so misunderstood."
These two resin Soda Machines are produced by “Wargames Terrain Workshop” and can be found within the company's ever-expanding Future City Scenics range. Measuring 25mm x 25 mm x 40mm the vending dispensers can be bought from Dave Stone already pre-painted, but as I wanted mine to be rusty artefacts from a bygone era, I purchased these without any prior pigmentation.  

Both soda machines were painted in precisely the same manner, and were initially undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before being treated to a double layer of "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey. The fizzy pop dispensers were then heartily washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey. Finally, they were given a good application of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, and once again dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.
"Taste excitement with Pepsi."
To be honest I was mightily tempted to stop there and simply finish the two pieces of resin off with a coat of gloss varnish and some basing flock; one grass for my "Gamma World" campaign, and the other snow for "Metamorphosis Alpha". However, having spied some of the custom vending machine stickers "Stick-2-Quality Zacparis" sells on "E-bay" I changed my mind and instead put the scenery items to one side whilst I waited for my 'decals' to arrive from Australia. 

Fortunately I did not have to wait long, and for my purposes, the stickers were delightfully almost the right size straight out of their packet. Once stuck to my soda machines, I then set about weathering the dispensers by caking on plenty of radioactive rust using pieces of grit and PVA glue. Once each ensemble was complete I applied more "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash into the corners of the machines' panels and all over the heavily rusted parts. This 'technical paint' was taken from the very bottom of its bottle, so it was ultra-thick and prone to cracking. 
"G.I. Joe" WIPs - Shipwreck, Sergeant Slaughter and Destro
I next dry-brushed the resin pieces for the third time with "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey, and tried to especially catch both all the areas of heavy rust, as well as the edges of the metallic advertising sheets in order to suggest the picture had worn away in parts. As a last step, I took some additional "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, this time having shaken the solution, and simply touched up the odd area which had become a little too silvery for the look I wanted.

Despite my dalliance in some items of scenery, I am also continuing to progress the six "G.I. Joe" miniatures I recently managed to acquire from the hands of a private collector. Indeed, having spent a bit of time getting my model of Laird James McCullen Destro XXIV close to completion, I've actually started block-painting this mini-project's final figure, Shipwreck (and his pet parrot named Polly); a sailor originally created as a character for the "Sunbow/Marvel" cartoon series in 1984.

38 comments:

  1. They both look fab mate. Decals look ace! Nice progress on the Joes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, and for the encouragement on the "G.I. Joe" front - they're all your and Leon's fault you know!!

      Delete
  2. Really great work on the soda machines Simon, the additional stickers and weathering really sell the piece.
    Nice progression on the joes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, thanks very much for sculpting such a superb piece in the first place :-)

      Delete
    2. The Triad should have some credit on that, as you guys requested it

      Delete
    3. Ah, but you're the one who made it a reality :-)

      Delete
  3. Those vending machines look absolutely excellent. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on the drinks machines - absolutely superb!!
    and the progress on the GI Joe minis is looking good too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wargame Addict. I'm mightily pleased with the vending machines, and the "G.I. Joe" minis are proving a joy to paint currently.

      Delete
  5. Those are off the scale brilliant Simon, what fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. That's extremely kind of you to say so :-)

      Delete
  6. Excellent vending machines, Far better than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I'd say they are painted differently to yours, not better, as everyone has different tastes.

      Delete
  7. Those are simply superb!! don't be surprised if you find Dr Pepper at the top spot of your "Top Ten" this year.

    (I do like to be a little controversial after all).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Perhaps we should have a 'no scenery/objective marker' rule in place, and that way I won't have to stomach a straightforward scary tree outscoring Captain America again ;-)

      Delete
  8. Those soda machines are amazing mate, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chico. Glad you like 'em, and good to see your Boromites getting a tabletop appearance - I badly need to play catch-up with my "Beyond the gates of Antares" minis!!

      Delete
  9. Really loving the "Dr Pepper" soda dispensers :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Ah yes... don't leave out the poor Pepsi one ;-)

      Delete
  11. Your drinks dispensers look truly revolting, but I mean that as a compliment. Great rust effects on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I'm rather pleased with how they turned out, despite the extra time each one took to finish.

      Delete
  12. Excellent job on the drink dispensers Simon, brilliant buy with the decals, just set the pieces off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I think the stickers work very well with Dave's sculpt and are infinitely better than any freehand I could muster!!

      Delete
  13. Just caught up with the blog after much too much time away. You have been very productive with all the Dr. Who and G.I. Joe figures. I also very much like the scenery pieces you have been doing. I would love to hear more about you Barrier Peaks inspired games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean. Your comments have been much missed too. "Doctor Who" has proved all-too time consuming a subject tbg, but as long as "Warlord Games" keep churning them out, then I won't be able to resist painting them!! The Dr Pepper vending machine is destined for my "Expedition To Barrier Peaks" tabletop. I just have to paint up my adventurers and the first scenario will be ready to go.

      Delete
  14. Your soda machines are terrific!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xredmenacex, your praise is very much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  15. Excellent work on the rusty vending machines. Great stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. They were a nice distraction from figures for a change.

      Delete
  16. Love the vending machines and your pa approach to them.
    The Gi Joe figures are coming along quickly too,each seemingly having their own character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I do like my scenery nice and rusty these days. I think the "G.I. Joe" minis are excellent personally, so I'm looking forward to getting them painted up :-)

      Delete
  17. Wow! The drinks dispensers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those drinks vending machines are sweet. Very nice weathering and inspiring for the ones I recently found in my LGS.

    Destro was my fav leader character in Action Force. I loved how conniving he was in the stories. Good to see you sticking to a traditional scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm always very pleased when my stuff is described as being "inspriring" :-) I look forward to seeing the ones you found in your LGS.

      Destro has fast become one of my fave "G.I. Joe" sculpts, as I simply love the look of his metallic face plate. The mini has a nice haughty air to its pose too.

      Delete