Sunday 6 August 2017

"You Will Ferry Us To The Wheel."

"We will assemble your laser defence rays."
This 38mm tall metal Cyberman miniature is produced by “Warlord Games” and can be purchased as part of their "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013. Sculpted to resemble one of the Doctor's "most persistent enemies" at the time when their "now iconic ‘frozen teardrop’ shapes in the corner of their eyes were [first] introduced", this figure depicts the "emotionless space-faring cyborgs" during David Whitaker's 1968 television serial "The Wheel in Space".

The model was initially undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before receiving two layers of Ironbreaker and a wash of Nuln Oil. The entire model was then dry-brushed with more Ironbreaker, and the Cyberman's eyes and shoulder-tubing were 'picked out' with Abaddon Black. As a final touch the silver giant's chest-piece light was painted "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre, darkened with an application of "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, and then brightened back up with a tiny dab of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre.
Sea Devil WIPs - The 'Aquatic Silurian' has had its belt, weapon and limbs painted and washed
With another of my "Nightmares In Silver" completed, I have momentarily turned my attention away from the adversaries of the Second Doctor, and instead firmly set my sights upon one the Third Doctor's best-remembered foes instead; the Sea Devils. Previously I've tried painting all six of my "Aquatic Silurians" in a single batch, but have subsequently selected just a single miniature with which to use as a pilot piece.  

This change of tact, along with "Warlord Games" intimation that they might be developing a couple of boxed sets based upon Patrick Troughton's Sixth Season serial "The Mind Robber" and Tom Baker's wonderfully Holmesian tale "The Talons of Weng-Chiang", has certainly inspired me to get the model close to completion, and Malcolm Hulke's creation now simply needs a bit more dry-brushing/shading before being finished. In fact, considering that the Nottingham-based manufacturer has also recently released pictures of some painted Movellans, my finishing the remaining five Sea Devils has become something of a priority... 
"G.I. Joe" WIPs - Major Bludd, Sergeant Slaughter and Destro
Progress on my latest mini-project, a handful of metal miniatures based upon the "line of action figures produced and owned by the toy company Hasbro" called "G.I. Joe", is going very well, and resultantly, I have managed to add both the evil Cobra Command's Destro and Major Bludd to my painting queue. As with the character of Sergeant Slaughter, I actually know very little about these two terrorist members of the Cobra Organisation except that the metal mask-wearing weapons manufacturer is the leader of the Iron Grenadiers and founder of M.A.R.S. Industries, whilst the poetical Australian is simply a paid mercenary.

I have started painting Major Bludd in the brown/black palette used for his original 1983 action figure. But am now reconsidering this colour scheme, and may well replace it for the reddish brown and blue-armour look 'favoured' by "Marvel Comics" when they were publishing the comic book adventures of "G.I. Joe" in the Eighties. Indeed, I think such 'outlandish' attire may well better-suit Sebastian by making the miniature stand-out that bit more on a battlefield presumably populated by so many other black and brown pigmented models...

26 comments:

  1. They're all looking superb Simon, and it sounds like it's a good job the GI Joe minis are for a "mini-project" with all the Time Vortex stuff coming down the pipeline.
    That guy in the Darth-esque headgear begs the trivia question..... who wore it first, the Star Wars or Cobra villain??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Wargame Addict. Tbh, with so much "Into the Time Vortex" stuff on the horizon, mini-projects are about as good as I can muster :-) Major Bludd made his first appearance in 1983, so I guess the Dark Lord of the Sith wins the trivia question.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on the Cyberman Simon, a real star (top ten perhaps), the Sea-devil; too is progressing really nicely.

    The GI Joe stuff is great, you are a lucky boy to have got your hands on it, I might have been tempted myself (I'm not adverse to a bit if toy nostalgia myself you know). GI Joe was the one with the WW2 German stormtroopers in red with masks on wasn't it? I seem to remember those, or was that a different toy line entirely.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Patient, slow dry-brushing, almost to point of polishing the minis with "Citadel" Ironbreaker, really is my key to bringing out lots of the softer detail on these Cybermen, imho. I'd certainly be pleased if one of these "Nightmares In Silver" made the highly sought accolade of your Top Ten :-)

      The "G.I. Joe" minis are terrific, and I'm really grateful to have gotten some. The Cobra minions seem to have loads of different colour schemes, but red with masks is indeed one of them. Hopefully I'll be able to take you down that particular memory lane if I can get some ;-)

      Delete
    2. In reply to Roger, I think he is thinking of the Red Shadows, the UK-originated analogue to Cobra from Action Force, the UK's equivalent to GI Joe ARAH. :)

      Delete
    3. I can only doff my cap before the General of all things "G.I. Joe", Leon, as this is clearly your area of expertise - and definitely not mine :-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent work on the Cybermen and Sea Devils, Simon. Mind you, if I had six on my table I would definitely paint all six at once. Don't take that as a criticism - each to their own. I probably have more free time than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I do really struggle to paint any number of minis more than two at once, as I like to mix my minis as I go. Of course if the models are straightforward like "Warlord Games" plastic Cybermen, then I can do a few more, but I've found the Sea Devils to be too complicated to do that; albeit I did do all their legs :-)

      Delete
  4. I like the blue cloth of the sea devils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hils, I've dirtied the cloth up quite a bit for the finished version, but its still clearly that light blue thread.

      Delete
    2. {{I've dirtied the cloth up quite a bit for the finished version, but its still clearly that light blue thread.}}


      oh man, it really works. Nice work mate.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Steve, hopefully you'll like the finished version just as much :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on the Cyberman dude. The Sea Devil is coming along nicely indeed.

    As for the Joes and Foes and they are progressing nicely. I have just had a second wave of stuff arrive eek lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. The Sea Devil is now finished, so just the other five to do!! "Second Wave" - eek!! How am I ever going to catch you and Leon up if you keep churning out so many "G.I. Joe" minis!! Slow down and post up a series of BatReps instead ;-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on that Cyberman and the Sea Devils are growing on me. However, I think a boxed set based on "The Talons of Weng Chiang" will seriously erode my resolve, as that's one of my favourite episodes. I have a feeling Warlord WILL be getting some of my money after all...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. "Warlord Games" seem to have so many ideas for "Doctor Who" currently, and these show-based boxed sets certainly sound interesting - should they start to produce them. For now just the "Time Warrior" and "Tomb Of The Cybermen" sets are confirmed. It's good to see you wilting though... ;-)

      Delete
  7. Great work on the cyberman Simon, the sea devil is coming on nicely as is the Joe models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Lots of finished minis on the painting table currently, so plenty to post about for the next few weeks :-)

      Delete
  8. Another excellent Cyberman. :)

    I like the effect you have with the Sea Devil's blue fabric and great to see your GO Joe project progressing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I've still a few more silver giants to post, but the end is definitely now in sight. The Sea Devils have quickly risen to become one of my fave "Into the Time Vortex" sculpts, and as for "G.I. Joe" - well, I've two down already and just four more to do for this month's mini-project.

      Delete
  9. Always good to see more Cybermen, but the Sea Devil paint-job (especially the tunic) takes the prize for some excellent shading.
    I can;t help but that the Gi Joe range could be used in many other genres - Weird wars, Pa games and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm rather enjoying my Cybermen currently, and the Sea Devil test-piece should be posted up quite soon. The "G.I. Joe" minis have a lot of uses, imho, so don't be at all surprised to see them teaming up with a few superheroes before long ;-)

      Delete
  10. Goodness those early Cybermen were derpy. ^_^ But it's good to see him done to add to the collection.

    Baker and Pertwee were my fav doctors, so I'm always happy to see more work done on critters from their stories. Keep up the great work mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I've still a few Cybermen to come, including Tom Baker's version of the silver giants ;-)

      Delete
  11. Where did you get those GI Joe/Action Force minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew. They were a private commission.

      Delete