Tuesday 19 September 2017

"The Sky Darkens With Noxious Clouds..."

"...And the land sickens and withers as the Daemons of Nurgle lumber into battle..."
This rather busy-looking 28mm multi-part plastic Herald of Nurgle is made by “Games Workshop” and can be purchased as either an individual miniature or as part of the company’s “Age Of Sigmar” Daemons of Nurgle “Start Collecting!” boxed set. However, having already previously painted one such ‘mortal who has resisted the ravages of Nurgle’s Rot’ I decided to alter the appearance of the miniature by swapping its head for that of a Plagueridden, replacing its “repulsive Balesword” with a Putrid Blightking’s scythe and removing a severed head held by the figure’s accompanying Nurgling.

Once this straightforward conversion work had been completed the ensemble was given a double undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki, washed with “Citadel” Thrakka Green and dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki. I then ‘picked out’ his numerous festering wounds, formidably-sized scythe, and spilling guts with “Citadel” Abaddon Black.
Slitheen WIPs - The aliens have been primed, washed and dry-brushed
One of the most intimidating elements to the daemonic character was painting all his putrefying, open wounds, so I patiently began painting his innards, exposed spine, organs and “lesions” with either “Vallejo” Heavy Red, White or Heavy Warmgrey, and subsequently heavily washed these areas with “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson. In addition, I applied some shading to the Plaguebearer’s “rancid flesh” and complementary Nurgling, using a combination of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, “Citadel” Biel-Tan Green, and Carroburg Crimson. As a final touch, all the Herald’s zits were ‘pimped out’ with “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre and treated to a coat of “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.

With the "Disgustingly Resilient" Plagubearer essentially finished I turned my attention to the numerous bells which adorned the miniature’s body and horns, as well as the Scythe’s blade. These were painted using "Vallejo" Brass, "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide, before being dry-brushed with more “Vallejo" Brass. Lastly, the shaft of the “Warhammer 40K” psyker’s hand-weapon was pigmented using Heavy Sienna, a little Charred Brown, and a splash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Shipwreck WIPs - The "G.I. Joe" character has had all his blue areas finished
Despite spending a fair few hours progressing my Herald of Nurgle, I have still managed to find some spare hobby-time with which to work upon "Warlord Games" excellent-looking Slitheen sculpts for their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop miniature game. These extra-terrestrial criminals from Raxacoricofallapatorian have been primed, shaded and dry-brushed, and now just need their claws and toes to be picked out before the application of some last-minute washes.

In addition, I’m close to completing the sixth model in my “G.I. Joe” collection. Shipwreck hasn’t admittedly had much attention since I initially primed him “Citadel” Abaddon Black over a month ago. But now the “Chief Petty Officer” has had his trousers, shirt and belt-buckles painted he should resultantly be finished in pretty quick order.

26 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the Herald, it looks superb. :)

    Shipwreck looks very close to done so it will be great to see him finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Leon. The Herald was a lot of work but worth it in the end. Shipwreck should indeed be finished soon, and then I'll be ready for a second "G.I. Joe" mini-project ;-)

      Delete
  2. The herald turned out really well Simon, the Slitheen are coming along very nicely as is shipwreck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I'm pleased to say the Slitheen are close to being finished already, so I'm hoping to work on some more "Wargames Terrain Workshop" ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ah... that would be telling ;-)

      Delete
  3. I must have missed out! I don't get the current fascination with GI JOE?

    Not a complaint at all I just don't see the link, is there a new set of rules or something? I feel I am missing out by not knowing.

    While not a modern DR Who fan I do always appreciate the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PulpCitizen and Simon have been posting quite a bit of "G.I. Joe" lately, Clint, so I thought I'd follow their lead; plus PulpCitizen is developing his own rule-set too.

      Delete
  4. The Slitheen are looking very good, Simon. You are right - they are excellent figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job on your Herald. The Slitheen and Shipwreck are nearly done as well. A very productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I need to be productive to keep up with you and Leon's insane "G.I. Joe" painting and postings :-)

      Delete
  6. That Nurgle daemon looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work on the Nurgle figure. If you hadn't described the conversion I would have been none the wiser! Excellent conversion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, Mark. Simple stuff but it makes a marked difference to the original model.

      Delete
  8. "Busy" is exactly how I'd have described your Nurgling Herald, but what great result from your tiny teaking of his head etc.
    The slitheens (from Hogwarts?) have a very believeable colouring scheme, I was very very impressed how you'd arrived at it.
    Roundinng it off with your progress on "Shipwreck", brought a smile to mhy face too as all I could think of was "another member of you YMCA squad - but that's just my warped sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see this post has ticked all three boxes with you, Joe, as I like to mix my articles up whenever I can. I'm hoping not to need to do another Herald, as they are busy minis, and I'm glad the Slitheens, from Raxacoricofallapatorias not Hogwarts, have gone down well too. Shipwreck is the last of my YMCA "G.I. Joe" minis for now. But a second batch is planned for the end of the year.

      Delete
  9. I am very impressed by those Slitheen, very lovey and tasty models altogether. The Herald of Nurgle is an awesome piece and would dominate any major 40K battlefield. Some of the most breathtaking Warhammer/Sigmar battles I have ever seen on the table top have involved masses of beautifully repulsive Nurgle troops massing and pouring towards their enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I think the true beauty of Nurgle is just how many of its models can be used for both "AoS" and "WH40K" - a huge bonus imho :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh I DO like those Slitheen. I`m with Stevie about tables full of the big four: Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, and Tzeentch: though for me, nothing does it for me more than a horde of twisted and sensually breathtaking Slaanesh streaming towards the poor enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hils. I've got another WIP of the Slitheen to post and then they should be done. I own plenty of Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch. Never been a fan of the Slaanesh though for some reason. I think its all their stark naughtiness :-)

      Delete
  11. Goodness I disliked Shipwreck as a lad. Such a silly YMCA reject of a character. ^_^

    The new Nurgle addition looks great! Love the simple changes you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, Dai, glad you like the Herald of Nurgle conversion. I've only read about Shipwreck in the "IDW Comics" and wasn't impressed, but think the mini is rather nice.

      Delete