Tuesday 5 September 2017

"Trained With Australian S.A.S. And French Foreign Legion."

"Wanted for crimes in Zimbabwe and Libya."
This 28mm metal miniature of Major Sebastian Bludd is from a private collection and thus not commercially available. Fortunately though, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire a spare casting of the "mercenary working for the Cobra Organization" and have painted him in a palette similar to how the military advisor's carded action figure appeared in 1983.

Initially undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the tactical-minded terrorist's uniform was painted using some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna" and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The bad poet's knee-pads, torso armour, and helmet were then dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal, whilst his pistol was treated to a layer of Gunmetal Grey. Both of these areas were then washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and Bludd's "Snidely Whiplash-style moustache" was 'picked out' with more Abaddon Black.
"Lord Oren has retrieved treasures from ancient ruins before..."
Alongside the fourth of my "G.I. Joe" figures, I have also managed to finish work on an old "Wizkids" plastic "Mage Knight" piece which I have turned into an objective marker. The doorway itself comes from the long out of production Dungeons Builders Kit, and was simply super-glued to one of the thin-lipped 40mm circular bases I often use as a stand for my scenery.

The model was originally primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and then had its wooden door layered with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. All of the metal bolts, padlock and hinges, as well as its skull decorations were subsequently 'picked out' with "Citadel" Ironbreaker and shaded with Nuln Oil. Finally, the entrance's archway was painted with "Vallejo" Dark Grey, washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Dark Grey.
Plague Guard WIPs - The Chaos Space Marine has been primed, layered and washed
Sadly, despite making a little inroad into the horde of miniatures currently littering my painting table, I have yet to be able to resist the call of Nurgle when the Plague God's gaze falls upon me, and resultantly, I have added to my already overcrowded queue another Heretic Astartes from the "Dark Imperium" boxed set by "Games Workshop". This particular plastic Plague Guard proved particularly 'attractive' to me because he is carrying arguably my favourite "Warhammer 40k" hand-weapon of all-time, the plasma gun...

18 comments:

  1. Great work on all of them Simon, it's a good job your painting at a blistering rate as you keep adding to the ques ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dave. I've a bit of a backlog to post up and some BatReps too :-)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic brushwork yet again Simon, and as Dave points out, you're setting a cracking pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wargame Addict, its easy to get carried away with the latest "GW" Heretic Astartes sculpts imho, and Dave doesn't help my painting queue either with his unmissable terrain!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent work mate the Major looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on Bludd and the doorway, but the intricacy of the detail on the plague guard would cause me to keep pushing it to the back of the painting queue. I shall be watching with interest how you paint this chap up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Yup, the detail on the Nurgle Plague Guard is indeed worrisome, which is why I've gone for the rusty scheme rather than try and pick out all their detail as I've done with my Boromites.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on Major Bludd mate. :) It is great to see your GI Joe and Cobra range grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon; all inspired by yourself and Simon obviously :-)

      Delete
  6. ..still got our eye on those Plague Guards ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hils. I should have my first finished one up and posted tomorrow ;-)

      Delete
  7. I do like hte Major, but for all the wornd reasons ("YMCA" is stuck in my stupid brain!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Still got a couple of "G.I. Joe" minis to go.

      Delete
  8. Another eclectic selection of miniature painting. I like Major Bludd and I am sure that the colour scheme has been meticulously researched as usual. The door is excellent with the stone texture and wood grain standing out really well. The Death Guard is looking good also. I like your rusty scheme as it is both original but thematic with the model as that Legion were always more about function than asthetics! Can't wait to see what one looks like when it is done. Your passion for the 40K universe does come through and has inspired me to slap some paint on some space marines this afternoon. Keep it up good Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu. Good to know I've inspired you to actually paint something this week ;-)

      Delete
  9. Bludd looks great. Just as i remeber him from my old action figures.

    Melta is cooler than plasma, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I've tried to tie all the "G.I. Joe" minis in with their action figure counterparts. Never used a Melta ;-)

      Delete