Monday 23 October 2017

"Beasts Of Nurgle Sometimes Feel Left Out Of The Fun..."

"...And so bound forth to join in whenever they can."
This 28mm scale "finely detailed resin cast kit" of a Beast of Nurgle is made by “Games Workshop”, comes as seven separate "Finecast" components, and (still) contains no instructions for assembly whatsoever. Luckily, I have already previously built two such 'truly horrendous aberrations' for my Nurgle Host, so was able to use my earlier models as a steer for the "Gale Force Nine" super-glue...

Having put my "embodiment of mindless decay" together and attached it to a 60mm circular plastic base, I primed it with a generous double-helping of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre before drowning it in "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The "mottled pallid slug" was then dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and had both it's claws and tusks painted in Iraqi Sand. These areas were subsequently also washed with Strong Tone Quickshade.
Garrek's Reavers WIPs - The bright red plastic miniatures have been primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone
In order to make this particular Beast of Nurgle appear noticeably dissimilar in colour to its predecessors, I added some "Citadel" Druchii Violet and Drakenhof Nightshade to different areas of the creature's hide and tried to create the impression of bruised flesh. However, as I still wanted the "grotesquely misshapen" creature to somewhat tie into the rest of my "Age Of Sigmar" Rotbringers, I later 'picked out' some of its pimples with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.

With this latest addition to my ever-expanding Tallyband of Nurgle finished, I have dived straight into the newest of "Games Workshop" releases based upon the eight Mortal Realms - "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire". An "action-packed combat game" set within the deadly ruins of a city which was once full "of wonder and magic", my desire to quickly assemble and prime Garrek's Reavers has been doubly motivated by the release of these renowned Bloodreavers' rules for "Age Of Sigmar"; a diabolical dual-use bonus if ever I saw one.
Garreck's Reavers WIPs - The bright red plastic bases have been primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black
Disconcertingly however, for a boxed game which boasts its suitability as a 'gateway game for beginners', I actually found a couple of the plastic Khorne miniatures far from "Easy To Build", on account of all their tiny, and oft-times potentially fragile, pieces. Indeed, there were a couple of times when I was either 'snipping' away the components from their sprues, or smoothing them down with a modelling knife/nail file, and felt the vividly red coloured material worryingly flex in my hands; something the sculpts' tiny chains appear particularly prone to do even when carefully handled.

Such issues also definitely made me feel that in difference to "Games Workshop" guidance, glue was an absolute necessity. Albeit, in all fairness the game's "comprehensive, easy to follow construction guide" did make the models' assembly a reasonably straightforward process once the pieces had been identified, separated and cleaned.

22 comments:

  1. Is it me or does Shadespire sound like a Frostgrave type game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its certainly very similar-sounding to "Mordheim", Simon, but played on a board with tiles and cards as opposed to a free-for-all on the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see you being seduced by the call of the blood god.
    Your Nurgle input is up to your usual standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I must say the Stormcast are rather nice too though imho. I've got a Great Unclean One to finish up and post, so plenty of Nurgle still to come.

      Delete
  3. certainly delicious pieces, proving one again that GW really do produce some mighty fine sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. The Beast of Nurgle is one of my fave "Games Workshop" sculpts of all time - that's why I'm considering purchasing a fourth ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a gloriously disgusting beastie. Lovely job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic beast of Nurgle Simon, the blood reavers should be an interesting contrast to you normal rotting souls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. The Blood Reavers look really good imho, so I'm hoping to get them started soon enough, and then it'll be the Stormcast's turn.

      Delete
  6. Those Reavers might have been a chore Simon, but they were certainly worth the effort! They look terrific (and dual use to boot)
    Absolutely cracking job on the "mottled pallid slug" - are they affected by salt the same way normal slugs are ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed Greg. I'm hoping to get some work on the Blood Reavers later this week. Ha hah, I wouldn't want to get close enough to a Beast of Nurgle to find out, it might want to give you a friendly cuddle :-)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderfully awful beast; it must have taken ages (a labour of love I'm guessimg) to get allthe very smalldetails you'vemanaged to incorporate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. The Beasts of Nurgle are indeed labours of love, and great fun to paint tbh, what with all those washes sloshing about :-)

      Delete
  8. Terrifying beastie! I shall be adding Shadespire to the long list of 'want-to-buy' games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. Does that mean I've made you want to dip into your wallet for a change? ;-)

      Delete
  9. I actually prefer this colour scheme for the Beast of Nurgle. Not that I didn't like the previous versions, I just think this one's more fitting.

    And I'd not heard of 'Shadespire'...is this the Age of Sigmar version of Mordheim? Might have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. "Shadespire" does indeed sound somewhat like "Mordheim", although so too does "Age Of Sigmar: Skimrish" tbh.

      Delete
  10. Love the Beast of Nurgle. The Shadespire sculpts are very nice and do look better in the flesh colour you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I can understand why "Games Workshop" have gone with pre-coloured red plastic for "Shadespire", as its supposedly a pick up and play game; albeit I don't feel the minis are that easy to assemble. However, the red is very vivid and a swine to prime over imho.

      Delete
  11. The Beast of Nurgel looks suitably icky Blaxkleric - very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers very much, Leon. Glad you like him :-)

      Delete