Monday 19 March 2018

"Boromite Work Gangs Are Armed With Mass Compactors..."

"...Which are extremely powerful at short ranges..."
This 28mm metal Boromite Ganger is made by "Warlord Games" and forms part of the Boromite Work Gang boxed set for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares". "Supplied unassembled and unpainted" this "genetically-engineered" miner is the second of five miniatures I require in order for me to field a 123-point costing Work Gang armed with Mass Compactors, Implosion Grenades and a Mag Pistol.

Originally primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, the partially-knelt panhuman morph was shaded with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then had some Chaos Black painted over all its weaponry, ammunition pack and hip-flask. The Ganger's metallic areas, including its firearm's nozzle, were subsequently treated to a combination of Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, whilst its Mass Compactor had its hand-grips and main body slightly corroded with a light touch of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash.
"Harlequin Miniatures" Kroton WIPs - The two crystalline creatures need their heads finishing
The power lighting on the Boromite's weapon was 'picked out' with "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green, plus his pouch was painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and a splash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Lastly, the figure's yellow(ish) armour, his numerous "multi-functional nanite receptor nodes" and cumbersome tool's distortion compensator were all layered with "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and washed with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.

With just three more "Beyond The Gates Of Antares" miniatures left to finish, I have momentarily turned my attention back to some of the old "Doctor Who" models I recently discovered during a large clear out of my lead mountain. Quite possibly cast by "Harlequin Miniatures" as opposed to "Black Tree Design" in the Mid-Nineties, I did initially think I only owned a single model of the crystalline race from the planet Krosi-Aspai-Core.
"Trust in your hatred for the mutant and the heretic, brothers."
However, I've since discovered a second Kroton figure within my horde which rather interestingly does not have the "predatory quasi-organic tellurium based crystal" creatures' airline sculpted on it. Bizarrely though, both versions of the "semi-sentient armoured crystalline beings" are listed as Code DW212 on the internet, with a second variant entitled Kroton Armed available as Code DW214. Whatever the story, instead of painting them all metal as originally planned, I thought I'd try something a little different by making their 'frosted' heads white with a subtle blue hue.

Finally, having recently re-gritted and flocked part of my old Black Templars for "Warhammer 40K", I have gone back and done precisely the same thing to the rest of my Crusader Squad, including their Sword Brother and a couple of Heavy Weapon options; a rocket launcher and flamer. I've yet to work out just how many points this force costs using the statistics in the "Index: Imperium 1" supplement, but hope to have enough to at least put up some form of opposition against my Chaos Daemons...

16 comments:

  1. Great job on the Boromite Simon, like the ideas for your Kroton, and your Templars are looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Just three more Boromites to go. Hoping to get the Krotons finished soon, and maybe then start on some more "Warlord Games" "Doctor Who" minis.

      Delete
  2. I really like that weapon your Boromite is wielding, Simon. I think it'd look great in the hands of a Goliath ganger in "Necromunda."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. The Mass Compactors do look formidable, don't they :-)

      Delete
  3. Another great Boromite to add to the group, not many left to go now eh ?
    I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Kroton, but I've no doubt you'll bring it to life with your usual panache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. The Krotons are rather static poses tbh and old sculpts. I'm not sure I'll be able to add much more to them once I've shaded and dry-brushed their heads...

      Delete
  4. I like the Kroton, though they aren't the most exciting baddies from Dr Who colour wise.

    Nice job on the Space Marines too, is that magazine you were talking about out yet? I had a look for it at the weekend and didn't see it.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I like "The Krotons", but the minis themselves are a bit... dull; hence my idea to try and do their heads as diamonds of a sort. I haven't seen the "Warhammer 40K" magazine yet myself, but as soon as it arrives I aim to post weekly updates on it as a "Warhammer 40K Wednesday" feature :-)

      Delete
  5. My My thats a big one! Looks great dude and it looks a seriously mean weapon! Black Templars new bases are looking good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm pleased to have another Boromite down and done. Its amazing how much better I feel the Black Templars look with their new flock and basing. Looking forward to settling down with the Codex and seeing what they cost for a BatRep.

      Delete
  6. Boromite looks great and so close to the end!

    The Doc Who critter though.... weird sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Nearly at the end now. I've actually finished the two Krotons now, so hopefully they look a bit better once flocked :-)

      Delete
  7. The boromite looks great as does your space marines, not sure about the Kroton but I'm sure it'll look better with some paint on it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. The Krotons are now finished and should be up for posting very soon.

      Delete
  8. Another diverse posting. I love your Boromites, they look really good. I bet you will be happy when the force is done. I have no idea who the Krotons are, and they loom quite interesting, but they also have that sort of naff costume look Dr Who was famous for! Interesting that you are breaking out your old 40k as well, I do like the 40k universe and space marines are iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I'll be more than happy when the Boromites are finished, I can assure you :-) I'm enjoying the old "Warhammer 40K" mini rebasing currently and really looking forward to the release of the "Games Workshop" weekly magazine!!

      Delete