Sunday 1 April 2018

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Garrek's Reavers" April 2018

Garrek's Reavers WIPs - The warriors have all had their pre-sculpted bases layered, dry-brushed and washed
This month's themed attempt to try and reduce my overwhelming collection of metal, plastic and resin miniatures will be dedicated to the four remaining models I need to finish so as to (finally) field Garrek's Reavers for "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire". I've actually been slowly pottering away on these "push-fit" Bloodreavers for some considerable time, but never managed to properly 'break the back of them' with some concentrated painting sessions.

Resultantly, I've fallen well behind the Nottingham-based company's release schedule, and although I own their Ironskull’s Boyz and The Sepulchral Guard expansions, I really want to finish both of the "action-packed" combat game's starter warbands first. This desire to lose myself amongst "the twisted streets of the Mirrored City" has been furthered by "Games Workshop" announcing the imminent release of a second Khorne faction with Magore’s Fiends, as well as an interesting addition to the Stormcast's forces in the shape of the cross-bow bearing Farstriders. 
"Doctor Who" WIPs - A Dalek, a Sontaran and Professor Kettlewell's Robot
In addition, Garrek's Reavers will also be entirely playable for "Age Of Sigmar", and provide my sizeable Chaos Host with a unit of extra-durable axemen for a paltry 60 points. Indeed, Garrek alone can cause mortal wounds with his Blooddrinker Axe ("do not make a wound or save roll"), whilst for every enemy Hero he slays all of his flesh-eating men's melee weapons "add 1 to the Attacks characteristic" for "the rest of the battle."

Of course, this new-found fervour for the "nightmare plane of illusions and madness" won't be stopping any progress on my recently discovered drawer of "Doctor Who" miniatures. Produced under the banner of both "Harlequin Miniatures" and "Black Tree Design" I have plans to field a number of factions from the cyclopean Monoids to the ant-like Zarbi; plus a fair few reinforcements for my Tomb-based Cybermen and heavily-hooved Nimon.
"Warlord Games" Newsletter Wednesday 14th March 2018
For now however I have been persevering with some test pieces for a rebel Dalek force and Sontaran invasion party. One of the more enjoyable elements to these old, somewhat clunky sculpts, is that they are a lot simpler to paint due to their lack of detail; albeit both of these particular miniatures still contain plenty of eye-catching elements. I therefore hope to have both of these figures, along with a pretty straightforward Experimental Prototype Robot K1 finished soon.

Sticking with "Doctor Who" momentarily, I've sought permission to utilise some of "Warlord Games" preview photographs of their range for this website, so for the next few weeks I'll be trialling a new series of posts unimaginatively labelled "Warlord's Who Wednesdays". These will hopefully cajole me into finishing painting some of their current range's line-up, as well as encourage me to keep going in order to make space for some of their upcoming new products. Ultimately this should help me stage a few more mash-up battles for the Time Traveller using my homemade rule-set "M.I.S.S.", as I was rather pleased recently when my Dalek/Cybermen invasion of Draconian's Moon Battle Report featured in the regular "Warlord Games" customer newsletter...

18 comments:

  1. Always good to see Dr. Who themed posts Simon and I had see that Warlord Games had used one of your shots on a recent email - fame at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Plenty of "Doctor Who" coming this month as I dive into my embarrassingly large backlog. Not sure "fame" is the right word though, but I was pleased they posted about a BatRep which used my rule-set and not theirs :-)

      Delete
  2. Hope you get the reavers finished Simon, the who models are progressing well, and well done for being featured again by Warlord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get the Reavers finished too, Dave, as its about the third or fourth attempt I've done to try and get them finished. I really want to do some "Shadespire" BatReps, but obviously need the minis painted first.

      "Warlord Games" continued support of this blog is particularly pleasing as you can probably imagine, and hopefully will let me tempt/tease you will some of their forthcoming releases.

      Delete
  3. I prefer to comment on stuff I like and just ignore the stuff I don't like as I'd rather not appear too negative. So, great work on the Doctor Who minis. They're coming along nicely. You must be chuffed with your association with Warlord Games. Well deserved, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate you're not a fan of "Shadespire", Bryan. Albeit in some ways I see it as merely a fantasy version of "Necromunda"; just without the guns.

      Lots of "Doctor Who" to come though which should hopefully encourage you to paint/post up your stuff, especially as the future release schedule for "Warlord Games" seems particularly full for this year already ;-)

      Delete
  4. Your posts keep reminding me that I have 5 plastic i-Daleks waiting for me to paint them. I really don’t want to do all their bumps individually.

    I do have a couple of other Doctor Who miniatures to do too, so I might try for a themed week soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kieron. I was actually looking at the black bumps on my renegade Dalek last night and think how can I paint them quickly/carefully. I know there's a chap on youtube who does it with the end of the straw, but I guess you need one small enough for the "Black Tree Design" ones as they're a little smaller than the "Warlord Games" one. Looking forward to your themed week, great idea :-)

      Delete
  5. Glad to see the Shadespire minis on the painting table, hopefully they will match Gorebeard's standard and be a stunning unit. I haven't purchased Shadespire, but the low model count does make it appealing, and the game seems quick and fun. Actually why haven't I bought it?! The Dr Who minis are coming along nicely and I can't wait for Who Wednesday! I wonder what delights are in store!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I'm not sure why you haven't bought "Shadespire" considering the units are playable in "Age Of Sigmar" and there's plenty of Order expansions out there as a result. Should have the "Black Tree Design" "Doctor Who" minis finished soon, and then on to the "Warlord Games" ones.

      Delete
  6. All interesting stuff Simon, as always. Never heard of the Reavers to be honest though they look to be nice models, and good progress on the DW mini's too (I really should have bought one of them K1 Robots, don't know why I didn't). There is a chap called Germy (I think it was him anyway), and he used the plastic cover you get on the tip of a new paintbrush to do the "bumps" on his plastic I-Daleks.

    Looking forward to these "Warlord Who Wednesdays" mmensely, you should be on commission! ;-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I'll give the paintbrush tip covers a try - neat idea :-) I hope to slowly lull you into some of the 'Nu-Who' minis with my Wednesday postings, although they'll be lots of classic stuff on show too. Plus, I do enjoy some benefits from my relationship with "Warlord Games" ;-)

      Delete
  7. I think you've got your work cut out trying to keep up with any new manufacturing range, let alone make a dent in your back-log of minis, but finishing offany particular set is a good goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I suppose its the thought that counts, but I'm going to give it a go :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm wondering if I should pay you a visit and get you to take the Voight Kampff test Simon. Your painting output is super-human to the extent that I suspect you're actually a Nexus 6 model replicant ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, Greg, albeit I don't post any finished minis in these monthly Lead (Mountain) Musings, just my thoughts on what I'd like to achieve over the forthcoming few weeks.

      Of course, I do happen to have a bit of a backlog of painted minis to post, as I hope to clear plenty of space in the next few weeks for my "Salute" purchases :-)

      Delete
  9. some beautiful minis there dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. Need to finish 'em though, so I can get on to my next project ;-)

      Delete