Saturday 21 April 2018

"Our Invasion Force Is Not Yet Complete."

"The data will be computed and the invasion details transmitted to you. Discussion terminated."
These three 28mm metal Cyberman figures are produced by “Black Tree Design", and somewhat oddly can only be bought as part of the company's "Doctor Who" boxed set DW1014 - Cyberman (7); albeit a similarly posed sculpt, arguably far less cute-looking, is available separately as Code DW206 - Invasion Cyberman. Temporarily allied to the Managing Director of International Electromatics, "the sinister Tobias Vaughn", this version of the silver giants appeared in Derrick Sherwin's eight-part 1968 BBC Television adventure "The Invasion".

Each miniature was originally primed "Citadel" Chaos Black and subsequently coated with two layers of Ironbreaker. They were then washed with Nuln Oil, before being dry-brushed with (more) Ironbreaker. Finally, each of their firearms' barrels was 'picked out' using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Abzorbaloff WIPs - The Clom-born extra-terrestrial has been primed, shaded and dry-brushed
Sticking with "Doctor Who" I've managed to spend a little hobby time progressing an Abzorbalovian which I've had gathering dust in my painting queue for quite a while now. The figure itself is absolutely packed full of gruesome detail, especially the faces of the alien's victims, which can clearly be seen embedded in his blubbery flesh.

The only disappointment with the metal miniature is the monster's limitation field cane, which not only came out of the box rather bent, and resultantly required urgent straightening, but also seems dangerously thin in places too; particularly when it so extravagantly juts out from the side of the model. In addition, I'm not really sure what use I'll find for Victor Kennedy's alter-ego on the tabletop, as "Warlord Games" don't currently have any unique gaming cards for him in their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" game.
"Burrows And Badgers" WIPs - This Adder Warrior needs just some washes to be 'added'
One of the highlights of "Salute" 2018 for me was stumbling upon the "Oathsworn Miniatures" stall and impulsively purchasing their "Burrows And Badgers" rule-book, as well as an assortment of "anthropomorphic animal" figures. I plan on spending a fair bit of time working on these inhabitants of the Kingdom of Northymbra next month, yet still couldn't stop myself dabbling with the first model which caught my eye on the manufacturer's well-populated blister rack.

Indeed, the Adder Warrior has had me repeatedly listening to Keith Michell's superb Eighties-based musical telling of "Captain Beaky And His Band" since the pewter reptile first 'fell' into my grip, and it'll therefore come as no surprise that I've named him Hissing Sid for my 'evil' warband. I also couldn't help noticing that the sculpt pays more than a passing resemblance to Thulsa Doom's snake-form as depicted in the 1982 motion picture "Conan The Barbarian", so expect to see the scaly-serpent popping up in one of my Hyborian-set battle reports too once I've finished painting him...

26 comments:

  1. Great work on the cybermen Simon, the Abzorbalovian is progressing very well shame about the cane, you could always replace it with some plastic rod pinned to the hand.
    The snake is looking good, if you do markings on it try painting them with washes ( several thin layers) instead of paint, this will give a more natural tone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave. I don't plan on tinkering with the Abzorbaloff's cane as the hand is a bit delicate for drilling/pinning itself. If it ever snaps then I'll probably just cut away the rest and have him empty handed.

      I did think about markings on the Adder Warrior but the areas are a little small and its already a rather busy-looking mini, so it'll just be a brown wash, with maybe a hint of green just to separate the scaly flesh from the base...

      Delete
  2. I love all of these Simon, fabulous work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I'm a bit worried about "Doctor Who" overload as I have a lot of monsters etc planned for the next few weeks as I rattle through my backlog :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice work Simon! Loving the Adder. I caved and book and many figures were purchased. Your fault I'll have you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Hah!! Marvellous news, Simon. That's what this blog is all about - causing others to spend money on miniatures they wouldn't ordinarily buy!! LOL!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure cute is meant to be used to describe cybermen but okay, they look good, I'm a big fan of BTD. The Absorbaloff looks really good,not a character I'm familiar with,I thought he was some sort of nurgle lesser demon and the adder is fab! Worth doing the eyes they work so well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. You're spot on that cute (and cuddly) is certainly not something you should be using when describing Cybermen, but the "Black Tree Design" ones strike me as being just that, imho and in a good way :-)

      The Absorbaloff is very similar to both my Nurgle and slitheen in look, hence I'm replicating their paint-jobs for him, and the Adder Warrior is coming out better than I expected for my first foray into "Burrows & Badgers".

      Delete
  5. A nice selection of figures, Simon. For me the stand out figure is your Adder - simply wonderful. I could see him being used in a few games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I think next month's focus upon the "Burrows & Badgers" models will make quite a few people take note of this unusual range and its wonderful sculpts.

      Delete
    2. Awesome to hear I am eagerly awaiting my order. Fingers crossed arrives Monday so I can get started ASAP!

      Delete
    3. Splendid news, Simon, perhaps we could both run a "Burrows & Badgers" blog month in May ;-)

      Delete
  6. What a great post with such varied content. You have certainly mastered painting metal as the Cybermen look great, good job. The Abzorbalof looks disgusting - the sculpt i mean, and in a good way! The paint job looks great too. Burrows and Badgers! What a great looking game. The rules are simple but effective and the sculpts are awesome. That adder looks awesome, and I am now regretting not getting him. However, I am sure my squirrel knight is more than up to the task of taking him on! Great post, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I've three more of the "Black Tree Design" Cybermen to go before I've finished the box, so expect them to be posted soon. By then the Absorbaloff should be completed too.

      I'm convinced "Burrows & Badgers" will continue to feature on this blog for the next few weeks to come, as I slowly work my way through my "Salute" Loot ;-)

      Delete
  7. I do like those Cybermen Simon, as you say they do have a bit of a "cuddly" look to them (I think it's the big ear muff's. Nice work on the Abzorbalof, though I didn't like his story, wasn't he designed by a child through a Blue Peter competition or something? and did Peter Kays play him in the program, or am I way off here.

    Star of the post though is that adder, that is a lovely piece and beautifully painted too, this game looks really fun, and reminds me of the "Redwall" series.

    Great stuff!.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I like the simplicity of "Black Tree Design" "Doctor Who" minis, and enjoy painting them as a result. I too didn't like "Love And Monsters" much at all, and you're spot on with all your observations as to where the alien stemmed from.

      I've not read any of the "Redwall" books, but the "Burrows And Badgers" range is clearly inspired by them, and I'm finding myself increasingly drawn towards painting them :-)

      Delete
  8. Really nice work all-round here Simon, especially on the Adder - I'm really looking forward to more of your "B&B" offerings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. Lots of both "Doctor Who" and "Burrows & Badgers" planned for the next few weeks. Fingers crossed it all works out as planned ;-)

      Delete
  9. I think that both ranges of DW figures have their good and bad sculpts. Some are TOO accurate, making them look exactly as they appeared on screen, which in some cases means that they're not as visually appealing as they could be. If a particular creature is badly designed, the accuracy of rhe sculpt is kind of irrelevant, as a naff-looking monster will look just as naff in miniature form. The BTD Yeti is a good example of a god design that translates well into a figure. If the source material doesn't appeal, it doesn't matter how good or accurate the sculpt is, you still won't buy it. Just my tuppence worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for your "tuppence worth", Jez; I agree entirely. I like all these minis, otherwise I wouldn't currently be painting them. But I wasn't a fan of the Abzorbaloff on the TV screen - in fact I much preferred the Hoix.

      Delete
  10. Another great selection of minis (eapecially the adder, which I can see usable in a lot of games), The Cybernmen force must be quite sizeable (an varied) by now - they 'll be quite an intimidating force on the table I guess.
    Never heard of the Abzorbalovians (of course) but he looks suitably gross as an alien enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joe. I have a few more "Invasion" Cybermen to put together before I'm finished with them, and may then at some point do a "Black Tree Design" BatRep. the Abzorbaloff is rather gross, but is a pleasure to paint :-)

      Delete
  11. While not at all a Dr Who fan (Game or TV) I still appreciate how much time you have put into your collection of them, tis staggering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chico. I seem to go in spurts with my "Doctor Who" stuff, and currently its full steam ahead :-)

      Delete
  12. Lots of fun stuff in this post! More Cybermen is never a bad thing, the Abzorbalovian looks absolutely bonkers and gross, and Sid is flippin brill. Keep it all coming Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I do try and mix things up a bit, but "Doctor Who" is dominating my painting table currently. Couldn't resist with the burrows and badgers mini though :-)

      Delete