Wednesday 23 May 2018

"So Father, Once More Earthmen Have Invaded Our Space."

"Surely now you will declare war upon the Earthmen?"
This 41mm-tall "pewter" model of a Draconian noble, as played by English actor Peter Birrel, is produced by “Warlord Games” and can be purchased as one of the three miniatures inside their "Draconians" boxed set. Based upon the reptilian humanoid Prince who accompanies the Third Doctor and General Williams to the Ogron homeworld, "the Draconians were Jon Pertwee's favourite monsters because their make-up was so realistic" and made their first appearance in Malcolm Hulke's February 1973 BBC television story "Frontier In Space".

Originally undercoated using a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Green, the tall, pointy-eared extra-terrestrial's scaly skin was painted using some Heavy Brown and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Whilst the aristocrat's sleeves were treated to a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre" and some watered down "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.
Draconian Soldier WIPs - The alien has had all his gold sashes roughly painted and shaded
I also 'picked out' the ruler's large gemstone with "Vallejo" Dead White, and applied a dollop of "Citadel" Ironbreaker over his imperial rings. These details were then shaded with Biel-Tan Green, or, in the case of one of his finger ornaments, Drakenhof Nightshade. His bright green crystal's chain was pigmented with a thin line of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and an application of Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".

"Believing strongly in high morals and honour" the Draconians are somewhat identifiable by their elaborately detailed oriental-looking shoulder pads and golden flowing sashes. Unfortunately however, despite some extensive research into their on-screen costume, comic book illustrations and the "Warlord Games" studio paint-palette, as well as owning an 'official' figurine from "Eaglemoss Collections", I couldn't find a seemingly definitive colour scheme for all their finery.
The Dominators WIPs - Early days yet 'picking out' the extra-terrestrials' trousers and rocky base
In the end I therefore decided upon a rather tabletop standard solution to my problem by simply applying some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and later Brass to these areas, before subsequently washing them with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Later I lightly drew some additional "Vallejo" Brass over the sculpt's ridges in order to highlight all the intricate patterns woven onto the costume's material. I did additionally consider applying some "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green to a couple of strips of cloth, as well as to the sides of the Prince's head, but having done this to the noble's flowing green robe I thought the model contained enough green already...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, now I've settled upon a paint scheme for my Draconians I have begun working on a few more of the race's miniatures in order to finish up enough figures for a tabletop appearance. Plus, with a mind to trying to clear away a few more of my "Salute" 2018 purchases, I have made some progress on my two formidable-looking "humanoids from Drahb" - the Dominators.

26 comments:

  1. Most excellent work mate. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Simon. He's very eye-catching on the table imho,so a squad or two of them should be awesome for a BatRep.

      Delete
    2. Yeah a squad would look awesome!

      Delete
    3. Yep. I have eight to do in total for two squads of four for my homemade rule set :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice work sir. Gold and green always works well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. it's a bit of a cheat tbh, but lots fine on the tabletop from a couple of feet away :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice paint scheme on the Draconian and I love reading all the little insights too. Your Dr Who knowledge is encyclopedic old chap! I like those Dominators too and it is interesting to see these old Dr Who creations mixing with the newer concepts. Very interesting little read and look at the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind Mr Undercoat, Sir! I always like to throw in a few titbits of info with my "Doctor Who" minis. I too am really enjoying all the old classic monsters like Draconians and Dominators. Of course, "Warlord Games" have just sent me a load of freebie Sontarans to paint/blog about, so no second guesses as to what will be appearing on next week's posting ;-)

      Delete
    2. That is great news as those Sontarans look brilliant! I can't wait for them to appear so get that magic brush of yours going as you may just be about to tip me over the edge and make a Dr Who purchase!

      Delete
    3. Obviously such a generous gift has only inspired me to buy a few more potato heads, including a pack taken from Jon Pertwee’s tenure too, so next week’s posting may well be all about the diminutive clones - the sculpts are certainly tiny :-)

      Delete
  4. I am most impressed with your Draconians, Simon. Mine still need painting but when I do get round to painting them I will be referring to your posts for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I’ve used quite a few cheats/shortcuts for this pilot piece, as you can probably imagine, but I think they make for a nice colour contrast - especially from a distance on the tabletop. Some BatRep close-up pics will probably be the ultimate test. I’m now looking forward to getting a bunch of these guys painted up, having been a little put off by their intricacies.

      Delete
  5. Another cracking post's worth of progress on your Whoniverse Simon, you're really building up an enviable collection of painted minis at an admirable rate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I’m rather enjoying these weekly postings, as it does mean my focusing upon the range for at least a few hours a week in order to ensure something is painted :-)

      Delete
  6. Great job on the Draconian noble Simon, the next two seem to be moving along quickly now you've settled on a colour scheme. Great start on the dominators as well, have you started to make a dent in your Salute pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Sadly I didn't pick the Draconians up from "Salute" 2018 but the Dominators will count. I've actually put a tally banner up on my blog's side-bar to record how well I'm doing against my Loot, just so I know whether I achieve my goal of painting it all up before next year's show :-)

      Delete
  7. That's a wonderfully imposing miniature Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the Draconians, Simon. The second figure apoears to be swaying in the pictures...I guess he's hit a bit of turbulence or is posdobly on board a ship? I'm holding judgement on the Dominator for the time being. It may represent the character well, but it does currently look a bit 'blocky', like a Minecraft version of the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. The second Draconian is mid-step, hence his weight is all on one side. Not my favourite pose as a result, but its not so pronounced when you see the mini on the tabletop. Personally I love the Dominators, and think the sculpt really captures the characters well. All personal choice though I know, and admittedly, they weren't the most dynamic of aliens on the show.

      Delete
  9. Your draconians looks great, the subtle colour combo works a treat; I'll reserve my thoughts though on slim "Michelin Man", until he;s finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joe. Only another seven Draconians to go, but I might sneak the two Dominators in beforehand ;-)

      Delete
  10. Liking what I see here mate. These lovely finely detailed sculpts are getting some good colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Plenty more Draconians to come. but I hope to mix them up with some Dominators, Quarks and Sontarans ;-)

      Delete