Friday 13 July 2018

"Look, That Rabbit's Got A Vicious Streak A Mile Wide, It's A Killer!"

"He's got huge, sharp -- he can leap about -- look at the bones!"
This 27mm tall plastic “Wizkids” model of a Demon Bunny is miniature number 040 from the "Horrorclix" Nightmares range and has been re-painted slightly differently from its original palette in order to closer resemble the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. Guarding "the home of the Legendary Black Beast of Arrrghhh (named for the last utterance of anyone who ever saw it)", the terrible monster with "nasty, big, pointy teeth" appeared in the 1975 British slapstick comedy film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

"Portrayed in the movie by both a real rabbit and a prop", the miniature was carefully cut from its 'clicky-base' and super-glued on to a 40mm circular stand before being primed "Vallejo" Dead White. The long-eared, formidable-looking fluffy animal was then washed with Pale Grey, before being dry-brushed using (more) Dead White and having its nose 'picked out' with "Vallejo" Black.
Doombot & She-Hulk WIPs - The robot and super-heroine are slowly being blocked and shaded
In the "wicked fun" collectable miniatures game, this "harmless little bunny" transforms into a paranormal demon upon slaying its first victim, and resultantly its sculpt appeared to have been strongly influenced by the grotesquely mutated rabbit which is pulled from out of a hat during "Twilight Zone: The Movie". As this wasn't necessarily the look I wanted I therefore simply left the inside of its mouth "Vallejo" Black (as opposed to red) and washed it's sharp Dead White incisors with a serious splash of "Citadel" Bloodletter.

I then took a piece of blusher pad, and dabbed around the "innocuous" rabbit's already glaze-stained teeth with some "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. This Shade really helped darken parts of the model's mouth and jaws, as if the furry fiend had just dispatched the hapless knight, Bors. As a final touch I also applied some (more) Bloodletter to the animal's "Vallejo" Heavy Red eyes.
100mm x 100mm x 60mm MDF WIP - The MDF box/building has been assembled and covered in 3D decals
Sticking with "Wizkids" pre-painted models, and enthused by some recent battles involving the Fantastic Four fighting Doctor Doom using homemade rules, I have also started progressing a couple more "Heroclix" miniatures which I plan to utilise for a third tabletop instalment to the super-group's campaign. Hoping to add a bit more muscle to Reed Richards' quartet I have returned to an old figure of She-Hulk that I started painting some months ago, and similarly turned my attention to an especially robotic-looking member of Victor Doom's legion of Doombot minions.

Lastly, I've assembled yet another of the MDF boxes I recently bought from Tepic2000 on "Ebay" to create a Cyber-City tabletop for "Doctor Who: Exterminate!". An accommodating 100mm x 100mm x 60mm in size, I've applied many more of the 3D decals "N-FX Game Design Studio" very kindly gifted me recently to its surfaces and lid, and hope to have the science fiction building finished over the next few days...

26 comments:

  1. I love your "vorpal bunny" - the trn which i remember first encountering it (In DnD) and Dr. Doom needed more backuo imo, mabe these will just suffice.
    "She-Hulk" (another superhero I've never heard of) doesn't seem to be "hulky" enough with her super slim waistline (?).
    The building must be close to being finished and look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, the demon bunny is a great sculpt imho. My She-Hulk is one of the older "Heroclix" minis, as is the Doombot, but both are definitely some of the nicer ones I've seen. Hopefully I can get a few of the buildings finished soon and actually get them on the tabletop :-)

      Delete
  2. Lol that Demon Bunny is ace love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one scary rabbit, brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving Fluffy the Bunny !!!! I'm sure She-Hulk will turn out well if she is a nicer sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I like the She-Hulk sculpt and hope a good paint-job will help bring out her 'stronger' side.

      Delete
  5. Well so you finally finished the bunny! after I mentioned him during our correspondences over last years "top ten" ;-)

    He does look the business though.

    Nice She Hulk and Doombot choices too, that Doombot wound make a great base figure for a "Trap Jaw" MOTU conversion (shame I've already got one).

    Did you see Keith's suggestion about Dungeon Saga, in the comments to my last post by the way?

    What do you say?

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The Demon Bunny was always going to be finished, it was just a question of when. I hadn't seen Keith's marvellous suggestion so when are you thinking of a "Dungeon Saga" month or some such? I'd be delighted to join the pair of you for a few minis - otherwise I fear it'll just sit in the loft unboxed :-)

      Delete
  6. What I most like about your demonic rabbit is the blood stains around his mouth - very effective without being over the top.

    A big hurrah for She-Hulk. It's about time you finished her. I'm glad you're thinking of having her as part of the Fantastic Four. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I did consider simply sticking to the bare white teeth, but wanted something more akin to Monty Python's killer bunny.

      The Fantastic Four verses Doctor Doom campaign has been a lot of fun so far, so it made sense to try and include a few more minis into the mix, and She-Hulk was an obvious choice imho.

      Delete
  7. Terrifying!! We're being overrun by rabbits at the farm right now and it's going to be impossible for me to not see your painted up rabbit when I'm out and see one, thinking it's going to be coming right for me lol!! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ivor!! Glad this has dove-tailed in nicely with a rabbit invasion in your neck of the woods :-)

      Delete
  8. The daemon Bunny looks quite terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. I'm pleased with how its turned out.

      Delete
  9. That is brilliant! We were looking at playing the Abominabunny in a Green Horde game yesterday, the only sensible tactic seemed to be, 'Run Away!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. "Run Away!" does indeed sound like good advice against any animal with such large sized teeth :-)

      Delete
  10. I recall seeing that rabbit on a previous posting, but as I am getting old I don't recall what year!!!! He looks great and I also love the blood effects. Great job. My knowledge of Marvel stuff is not great but that She-Hulk looks a bit weedy to me, but I am sure you will paint her up brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat, I started work on the Demon Bunny in November 2017, so its only been a seven-month project; good by my terms :-) The "Heroclix" sculpt of She-Hulk is definitely her FF and Avenger days rather than some of the more recent bulkier versions - probably why I like it so much.

      Delete
  11. The bunny looks great Simon, and nice progress on the other figures and building

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, all simple stuff tbh, but keeps the momentum going :-)

      Delete
  12. I nearly soiled my armour, I was so scared

    ReplyDelete