Monday 20 August 2018

"Join Us Then As We Open The Great Book Of Nuffle..."

"...To learn about one of the most violent and entertaining teams of them all... The Chaos Chosen!"
"Greetings sports fans old, young and deceased. I'm Jim Maddenberg, and along with my co-commentator Thom Grassyglade I'd like to welcome you all to another edition of Monday Night Football. This time round we'll be focusing upon the Doom Lords first player purchase of the pre-season, 'Brutal' Frank. Thom, what can you tell the viewers at home about this Chosen Blocker?"

"Well having been assembled from pieces clipped off of one the hard-plastic sprues found inside The Doom Lords boxed set, this 28mm scale miniature by "Games Workshop" was primed using "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone and had his heavy boots, belt and straps 'picked out' using a combination of Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The well-built Chaotic Human then had his leg armour, helmet and left shoulder-pad painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, whilst his groin guard and wrist armour was treated to an undercoat of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna before being layered in Brass and shaded with (more) Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".
Chosen Blocker WIPs - The model is slowly having all his armour and straps 'picked out'
"In addition, Frank's gloves and right shoulder-pad were treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Black and later his helmet blade, shoulder-pad blade, alongside a few metal clips, were all pigmented using some "Citadel" Ironbreaker and a wash of Nuln Oil. Finally, this Dark Gods-worshipping maniac had his fingers, arms, legs, chest and throat painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone, and then shaded with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade."

"Phew! That's quite a work-out, Thom, especially for a player who cost the team 100,000 gold pieces and comes to the pitch without any discernible skills whatsoever. I guess club owner 'The Overfiend of the Lead Citadel' knows what he's doing though, otherwise he'd have never convinced Harry the Idolator to leave his previous coaching position with Khaine's Killers."
Beastmen Runner WIPs - The models will be painted using a variety of browns for their skin, fur and straps
"Too right, Jim, and don't forget Frank won't be the only Chosen Blocker protecting The Doom Lords goal zone whilst under the gaze of their dark patrons. The 'Red and Black' are actively seeking to field at least three more similar-sized Humans, along with a veritable herd of horn-headed Beastmen."

"Indeed, Thom, and rumours from inside the dressing room would suggest that Harry should soon be delivering a press conference announcing the names of some of these latest rookie recruits. Until then however, that's all we've got time for during our transmission, so until next time, don't let your demonic possession get too out of hand..."

22 comments:

  1. Monday night football makes a welcome return! I love this post, it is such a good read. The blocker looks great, really good job. Wow, so many other WIPs you have been busy! You are painting these really nicely, keep it up and I can't wait to see the whole team. Role on the next Monday night football!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Undercoat. Much appreciated. More "Monday Night Football" will be coming soon, as I'm hoping to get the second of my Chosen Blockers finished along with the first of my Beastmen runners soon.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. I like these a lot. The Nurgle mini's previewed recently look ace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'll be picking up the Nurgle Team just as soon as it's out, though that'll give me four teams in total to then paint up ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looking good so far. Team numbers to be added?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Yep, I have the decals for team numbers etc. I just need to work out which set I'm going to use for The Doom Lords.

      Delete
  4. Great looking blocker Simon, if a tad on the expensive side in gaming terms, guess that's why they've kept beastmen in the team, otherwise it would be hard to field 11 players. I believe at one point in the old BB there was a list for an all human chaos team using marauders and warriors perhaps they'll bring them back at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I was somewhat surprised to see the starting Chosen Blockers had no skills to begin with. However, there’s a lot of love given to the Chaos Teams in “Spike” magazine, so I get the impression they have access to plenty of mutations/blessings if they can survive their first game :-) Plus with the announcement of a Nurgle Team “Games Workshop” are clearly giving them a lot of love.

      Delete
  5. Great job on the blocker mate, sadly my B.B. project has hit the back burner as other projects and real life continue to take front and centre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I can only imagine the effort it takes to continue making “Da Gobbo’s Grotto” the Barony of Bushido which it is :-) Which team/s were you painting though? Any of the new sides, or was it one of the older releases?

      Delete
    2. I’m just painting the humans and orcs. I already have an elvish side from Shadowforge that look amazing

      Delete
    3. Sounds good, I'll be painting up my Reavers and Raiders from the boxed set just as soon as I've finished The Doom Lords; unless of course Nurgle's Rotters are released first ;-)

      Delete
  6. What a great bruiser, you wouldn't want to get caught by that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I’m really impressed with the new “Blood Bowl” sculpts from “Games Workshop” currently, even if they have somewhat upped their scale a bit from the previous edition models.

      Delete
  7. I have tried BB but never enjoyed it. Yes there are a few of us who don't! But the figures look good so I am more than happy to see more and more of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. I haven’t played for a while myself, so I’m in my usual predicament of painting up a team for a game I don’t know if I’ll like or not. That’s my problem though, as I hate playing games with unpainted minis. Glad you like the figures, as I’ve plenty more to come :-)

      Delete
  8. I'd love to get back into "Blood Bowl" but as a solo gamer I doubt that'll ever happen. I know I've played multi-player games as a solo player before but I don't think that would work well for "Blood Bowl". I'd find it too hard to be equally neutral to both sides. So I shall get my BB fix from your own blog. Keep up the good work, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I fear "Blood Bowl" is indeed one of the few games where solo play is a little difficult to successfully pull off using a solitaire game mechanic like cards etc. A pity though as its a good game imho.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work Simon, Frank looks awesome and is a shoe-in to make the top ten draft this year (god you've got me at it now!) :-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, Roger, LOL. He was pretty time-consuming, but a lot of fun as the sculpt is so well defined. I'm enjoying the Beastmen Runners too, so hoping I'll be able to post one of them up for the next MNF article :-)

      Delete
  10. Another entertaining writeup mate! ^_^

    Liking these so far. Going to go with varied skintones and fur?

    The new Nurgle's Rotters look rather good... Doing my best to ignore them (Somehow). Especially what with me still having my 2nd Ed Dark Elf and 3rd Ed Orc teams yet to paint from.... o, the 90's!? O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I'm enjoying these "Blood Bowl" minis a lot. I'll be giving the next pair of Chosen Blockers darker skin, and actually thinking about a couple of mutations maybe?

      Delete