Friday 12 October 2018

"Where Once There Was Hard Won Unity..."

"...There is now only dire civil conflict and destruction."
This 15mm scale resin hover light vehicle is made by “The Ion Age” and is model IAF036D Orange Adder Combat Lifter from the company’s Prydian Army Vehicles range. "Capable of dealing with low level threats" I armed the infantry support Adder with a Hermit Grenade Launcher in a turret mount and provided it with some additional 'tabletop' protection by super-gluing it upon a large “Battlefront Miniatures” plastic stand.

Because I am ‘modelling’ my Prydian Army upon the "Rogue Trader" Crimson Fist Space Marine Chapter I undercoated the 60mm long vehicle with two coats of “Vallejo” Heavy Blue and washed the entire "standard light ground" automobile with “Citadel” Nuln Oil. The Adder’s forward and rear hatches were then picked out with “Vallejo” Heavy Red before being both glazed in “Citadel” Bloodletter and later washed using Carroburg Crimson.
"The Ion Age" WIP - The primed Black Adder Combat Car has had its metallic areas base-coated "Vallejo" Black
I also picked out the 30mm wide conveyance's sidelights and main armament using a combination of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, whilst ensuring the hovercraft's skirt wore a nice even coat of "Vallejo" Black. As a final step I 'picked out' a couple of its lamps with White and Pale Grey, before applying a “Warhammer 40,000” Crimson Fist decal by "Games Workshop" to the transporter's front in order for it to proudly sport its Space Marine Chapter's symbol.

In addition this vehicle I have made some progress on a Black Adder Combat Car which I plan to utilise as part of my slowly growing Muster First Patrol. Admittedly my infantry force already contains plenty of heavy weapons, but as its on 'foot' I felt it lacked the murderous mobility a "four wheeled light vehicle" decked out with a formidable-looking Fretan type Railgun could provide...
"The Ion Age" WIPs - This special edition Retained Knight is slowly having his armour's detail 'picked out'
Sticking with "The Ion Age" and my re-imaging of its universe to something more akin to that of "Rogue Trader", I have been beavering away on one of the range's former rewards programme items which depicts a pair of retained knights. I thought this piece would make for an excellent proxy of Ezekyle Abaddon during the Great Crusade when he was the First Captain of the traitorous Sons of Horus, and have subsequently begun painting the model accordingly.

Of course, this 15mm scale figure doesn't really look a great deal like the Terminator-armoured Chaos Space Marine with a gigantic lightning claw, yet stood atop a similarly attired fellow warrior, I couldn't help but think of Abaddon's epic defeat of loyal Captain Garviel Loken on Istvaan III at the start of the Horus Heresy. Resultantly, I have my eye on painting up a few of my retained knight miniatures in both the Sons of Horus Legion colour scheme, as well as that of the Primarch Sanguinius' Blood Angels...

14 comments:

  1. Looks great in Crimson Fiat's colours nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I’m looking forward to getting my ‘Crimson Fists’ on the tabletop soon and showing the entire force in its 15mm glory.

      Delete
  2. 15mm sci fi. Well that GRABS my attention straight away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I’ve very much got the 15mm sci-fi bug currently.

      Delete
  3. A very, very impressive model, especially for a 15mm model; the detailing is suprerb and you should be very pleased with the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I certainly like these Adder Combat Lifters quite a bit, and have a few more in the pipeline as a result.

      Delete
  4. Great painting at that small scale and as I have said before I think the Horus Heresy/40k inspiration is genius. Your imagination is an amazing thing! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. More 15mm is coming, as I'm just finishing off basing an 'Imperial Guard' mortar team amongst other units.

      Delete
  5. The Fists scheme came out really nicely on that tank.

    And Abaddon? Sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I do it find it rare that I stick with whatever the actual storyline is behind a miniatures range, and these 15mm minis really do smack of “Rogue Trader” imho.

      Delete
  6. All coming along really nicely.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Definitely got the 15mm bug currently, and have started digging out even more of “The Ion Age” to paint-up :-)

      Delete
  7. That Crimson Fists vehicle looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Skully, glad you like it! :-)

      Delete