Tuesday, 22 September 2026

"Do Not Fail The Empire."

"Operative, I have apportioned some experimental Dark Troopers to Tatooine for evaluation."

This 40mm scale model of a Phase-III Dark Trooper is produced by "Atomic Mass Games", and comes as part of the company's "Star Wars: Shatterpoint You Have Something I Want Squad Pack". Based upon "the last and most powerful dark trooper exoskeleton/droid", the exasperating sixteen-piece plastic miniature was eventually assembled using the instructions found on the Minnesota-based manufacturer's website, and glued to one of the tabletop game's 40mm circular bases.

However, due to one of the halves of the machine's left shoulder-pad tearing into two parts whilst I was cutting it from the sprue, this over-complicated 'nightmare' actually ended up taking just as long to put together as the first of Moff Gideon's minions I recently got tabletop ready. Indeed, I ended up having to (plastic) glue to the two damaged pieces together and subsequently file them down as flat as I could before I could properly continue with the rest of the Dark Trooper, and even then there's a very visible dent in the robot's shoulder if you know where to look.

"Beast In The Broch" WIPs - The three remaining Systemic Units

The Imperial droid was originally primed using "Citadel" Abaddon Black and later base-layered with "Vallejo" Glossy Black - which I hoped would do much of the heavy lifting when it comes to how the shiny black killer would appear. To break the overwhelming all-black palette though, I did 'pick out' all the figure's elbow, wrist, knee and elbow joints using a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil, as well as it's E-450 "Arc Hammer" heavy blaster rifle. Finally I used a little "Vallejo" Heavy Red, "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, and "Vallejo" Dark Vermillion for the Dark Trooper's eyes and chest computer.

In addition to this disappointingly time-consuming project, I have continued to plug away at the three remaining Systemic Security models found inside the Systemic Units set by "Beast In The Broch". Due to still being rather taken by Terry Nation's cult "Blake's 7" science fiction television show, I should still be able to get the computer-controlled lackeys completed before the month's end. Albeit, I sadly doubt I'll have the time to pigment the set's Alpha One and Alpha Two as well.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - The OOP figure of Venus Bluegenes

Despite recently listening to some of the "2000 AD" full-cast audio of "Rogue Trooper: Welcome to Nu Earth" over on "Audible", I've still been rather struggling to truly get going with my restarted Rogue Trooper project of late - and not even the chance discovery of my previously purchased five Man E-Corp Unit by "Diehard Miniatures" to use as (not) Southerners. Resultantly, I felt it prudent to set aside Tim Prow's dynamically sculpted Krupps Corp unit blister models (which I was planning to use as Norts), and look elsewhere for inspiration.

Funnily enough, such a mojo maker soon presented itself in the guise of the now long OOP (Out Of Production) figure of Venus Bluegenes by "Wargames Foundry". Now ordinarily I don't like to mix my manufacturers for projects. But when I slapped the "so-called G.I. Doll" on a lipped base besides my aforementioned "Diehard Miniatures", the sculpt appeared to be similarly proportioned overall and only a touch taller - which arguably makes sense for a one woman killing machine who was a "genetically-modified warrior". Regardless, I've found my interest in the project reignited and now hope to get the "female clone soldier created by Milli-Com" finished 'toot sweet'...

9 comments:

  1. Great looking minis! Really interesting of incoming Venus painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Venus is definitely a blast from the past for me, and is helping me maintain my enthusiasm for a Rogue Trooper game in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Simon, Venus looks a very healthy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. Venus Bluegenes' sculpt is clearly based up the character's 2000AD Star Pin-Up sketch by artist Brett Ewins. :-)

      Delete
  3. Another great looking Dark Trooper Simon, and you managed the damged part well, hopefully the last one won't give you as much trouble when you get to it. Great progress on the three beast in Broch models, and what a classic Venus model, hopefully it will renew your enthusiasm for your Nu Earth wars project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I don't think the Dark Troopers photograph all that well with their "Vallejo" Glossy Black finish. But he looks suitably menacing in real life. I have tried to buy another two Dark Troopers to bulk out my unit - however, they're proving rather expensive - almost as much as a new box with the Death Trooper & Gideon in, so I'll be leaving that plan for another rainy day. LOL!!!

      Delete
  4. Love the Dark trooper and glad to you stuck with him to get this awesome looking result mate.

    Venus is an interesting version of the character. Far more bubbly/cartoony than the art I recall. Saying that, I like her! Looking forward to seeing you get her all done up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Hopefully Venus will help spur me on with my Rogue Trooper project - as I say somewhere else, the sculpt appears to be based upon a sketch by Brett Ewins.

      Delete
  5. Managed to glue up the Marvel Crisis Protocol Captain Marvel miniature - it is one of the worse kits I've had the misfortune to work on - and have just started to prime the model in black. Going for an adaptation of the black suit Carol Danvers seemingly wore as Ms Marvel. Have created a character profile for her using Pulp Alley (one figure League, as she's an Epic character). Only miniatures I own that could work as opposition for her are Warlord Games Daleks, so I guess I'll soon be playing Captain Marvel versus the (latest) Dalek invasion of Earth.

    Joe 'Zabadak' got back in touch with me, in regard Jimland.

    Cheers,
    Roy

    ReplyDelete