Friday, 25 September 2026

"The Dark Angels' Terrible Secret Is This."

"During the Horus Heresy, some of their brethren were turned to the side of Chaos."

These three 15mm metal miniatures are from "The Ion Age" range by "Alternative Armies", and come from their IAF008 Retained Knight Post Charlie multi-figure set. Super-glued upon some wooden chop-sticks for more months (if not years) than I care to remember, I recently dusted them down and decided to paint them as part of my small collection of "Rogue Trader" era Dark Angels space marines.

For openers the trio were simply undercoated with a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Dark Green and shaded using plenty of "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then gave each model a brusque dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Dark Green, before patiently picking out their Angis Rifles with a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"Alternative Armies" WIPs - These Infernus Tanks have been assembled, primed and shaded

As a final touch I carefully added a line of pure "Citadel" Abaddon Black to their visor slits, and also applied a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to any pouches I could spot. Having recently used my quite sizeable collection of "The Ion Age" figures and vehicles on the tabletop, I spotted I wasn't always quite as robust at spotting these leather-made additions to my Retained Knights, so I made doubly certain on this occasion to get the ammunition pouches properly pigmented.

Perhaps understandably, as I am currently rather taken with this splendidly-sculpted range I have started work on building and priming a squadron of three Infernus Tanks. These Malig Ball Tanks will finally provide my opposition with some vehicles, and hopefully encourage me to finally build up enough enemy units to properly challenge my Retained Knights and/or Muster of the Prydian Army.

"Modiphius Entertainment" WIPs - This Generator is ready for some washes and weathering

Unfortunately, my plans for this 'sudden turn to 15mm' has taken a bit of a backward step as I simply cannot find my box of unpainted miniatures by "Alternative Armies". I know inside it I have several nearly-finished figures, as well as an embarrassing truckload of models taken from several of "The Ion Age" armies. However, I have located my resin vehicle small-box - together with a plastic bag filled with a variety of the range's various special edition sculpts. So for now I have more than enough to be getting on with.

Lastly, I've got some paint on the last of my entries for Dave Stone's Season of Scenery over on his "Wargames Terrain Workshop" blog. Originally I was planning to prime both of these 3D prints from the free Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - Print at Home - STL (Standard Triangle Language) Sampler Set released by "Modiphius Entertainment" in "Vallejo" Gunmetal Blue. But then felt I might as well use the "Citadel" Abaddon Black base layer as an undercoat for all the areas on the two generators I want to appear "Vallejo" Gunmetal...

6 comments:

  1. A welcome return to your 15 mm project Simon, and the Dark Angels look great, and great start to your sphere tanks, also great progress on your scenery, hopefully you can get it finished in time, should be possible as you still have another 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. It's amazing how a game can suddenly get you back in the mood for a scale and/or range, LOL. Hopefully I can finish off at least the tanks in time for the end of the month - though the scenic pieces aren't too far behind either.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Michal. Definitely back in the 15mm mood all of a sudden.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see this project get some love again Simon! Those tanks are an interesting design too. Looking forward to seeing the finished versions.

    Also, that generator - for some reason I thought it was some sort of scifi "bus" when I first saw the pics! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often the way with me, Dai, that I'll play a game and suddenly become completely obsessed with the mini range once again. LOL!! The space goblin Tanks are almost finished and might be posted before the month is over. I can easily see why you might think the generators are space buses. But the only vehicles I'm currently 3D printing are more space ships by Fat Dragon Games - as they've kindly sent me their two latest expansions as freebies.

      Delete