Tuesday 24 January 2017

"Who Dares To Enter The Chamber Of Doctor Doom?"

"For no one knows what's best for you... except your mighty sovereign... Doctor Doom!"
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of Doctor Doom is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 105 from their Marvel “Heroclix” Secret Invasion range. The son of Romani witch Cynthia Von Doom, Victor is the leader of the Eastern European nation of Latveria, and "both a genius inventor and a sorcerer." Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the character first appeared in the July 1962 edition of "The Fantastic Four" and would go to be the chief opponent of Reed Richards super-team.

Originally undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Green in order to 'cover over' the figure's somewhat 'slapdash' pre-paint, the facially disfigured monarch was washed with "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green and subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Green. I then layered the suit of armour (with "scowling mask") which Victor forged whilst living with a clan of Tibetan monks, with "Citadel" Ironbreaker and later washed it with Nuln Oil.
"Stand aside for the glory that is Doom!"
With both Doctor Doom's "trademark metal mask and green cloak" essentially finished, I turned my attention to 'picking out' the model's belt and buckle  with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and Gold. Both of these areas were then washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. As a final touch I lightly 'dry-brushed' the armour with more "Citadel" Ironbreaker in order to give it a bit more shine.

Alongside the "soul-stirring…super sensational new villain" I additionally painted three of the character's infamous Doombots. These unarmed automatons can be bought as number 006 from their Marvel “Heroclix” Galactic Guardians range and actually "have the face of the real Doctor Doom but with no hood." Regularly used by Latveria's sovereign on missions "where he fears defeat", the robots are sometimes programmed to actually believe themselves to be the real Doctor Doom..
Jungle Trooper WIPs - These models will be painted up to resemble some "Mad Max" War Boys
In addition to my submission for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge East Bonus Round I have started to progress probably the final group of "Copplestone Castings" miniatures I'll currently paint as part of this month's "Mad Max" project. These Jungle Troopers will obviously look a little out of place fighting across a post-apocalyptic Australian desert, so instead I hope to turn them into some of Immortan Joe's (more militaristic-looking) War Boys.

Heavily armed, yet wearing rusty plate armour, I intend to use these figures as further guinea pigs for some "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, and see whether I can really grim up their helmets, knives and (to a lesser extent) automatic rifles. I may even try out a watered down "Vallejo" White wash over their skin and "Citadel" Ironbreaker across their mouths so they "will arrive at the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome!"

30 comments:

  1. Another great entry to the Challenge Simon, I wonder what you will come up with for the terrain build?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Looking at some "Mad Max" stuff for the next themed entry ;-)

      Delete
    2. I aim to please, Michael. Hopefully they'll be a few WIPs over the next week to whet your appetite ;-)

      Delete
  2. I really like that dark green colour it works very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. The "Vallejo" Heavy Green works very well with "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green imho.

      Delete
  3. Doom and his bots turned out really well Simon, the armoured warboys will be interesting look forward to seeing the results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Hopefully the War Boys will turn out well...

      Delete
  4. Very nice work on an excellent sculpt of Doom.
    I too wull be interested to see your results on the 'warboys', as i'm so used to seeing these as not-Colonial Marines and it will be nice to see them as something else. I've got some of the original Grenadier sculpts which are currently awaiting repaiting as UNIT troopers, although I may vary the colour scheme slightly, as they are predominantly black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Much appreciated. I figured the white-washed flesh alone will make the War Boys stand out... and I'm mad keen on trying out the "MIG Productions" rust again too!!

      Delete
  5. He is a nice sculpt, lovely painting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doc Doom and his Doombots have come out well. I'm intrigued to see what you do with the Jungle Troopers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Hopefully I'll have some WIPs up of the War Boys soon.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on Doctor Doom and his Doombots. Interesting choice for Warboys. It could be a cool looking colour scheme. I am rather hoping someone releases some 'proper' 'Not' Warboys :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doom and pals look the part! Now you need some Nick Fury and Fury-bots too!

    I like the idea for those military figs. So eternal, shiny & chrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Big fan of Doom, so its good to have him and some doombots available for the tabletop. Fingers crossed for the War Boys...

      Delete
  9. Another cracking figure (well figures), Doom and his doombots have come out really well and match the comic original to a tee.

    I like the idea behind the "warboys" not sure about the "Shiny chrome" idea but then it's from the new movie so I'm biased. I could see them in a "Rogue Trooper" setting too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Much appreciated :-) I'll see how the white-wash turns out first, but I quite like the idea of these fighters getting ready to die (hence the chrome). Perhaps you need to watch "Mad Max: Fury Road" a few more times to get into the swing of things ;-)

      Delete
    2. OOhh you can run but you can't hide Simon!

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
  10. Nicely done on Doom and the Doombots Simon. :)

    After Nightmare, you are certainly entering a 'green' phase! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. I do like to clump my models together when doing specific palettes :-)

      Delete
    2. So do I, I just think it speeds things up, although it also adds to the queue of part-painted minis! :)

      Delete
    3. Indeed it does, my friend. LOL!!

      Delete
  11. What a great figures and painted with your usual panache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Much appreciated praise indeed :-)

      Delete
  12. Lovely job on Doom...always liked him (though less keen on F4).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. I'm not a fan of the "fantastic Four" myself. Though I am a huge fan of The Thing, Ben Grimm; especially when drawn by John Byrne.

      Delete