Wednesday 10 January 2018

"Known As The Chameleon By Her Fans..."

"...Snakeskin is a master of disguise."
This 23mm tall metal model of the Union Winger, Snakeskin, is made by “Steamforged Games Ltd” and can be purchased as part of the “Guild Ball” Halloween-themed boxed set, "The Dark Harvest". Chillingly depicting the young woman's grave, complete with burning candle, broken face-mask and rising undead hand, this figure can be used as either an in-game harvest marker or "may be alternately used" as a player in your team.

Disappointingly, despite the "sinewy and powerfully built" player coming as a single cast piece, I did find the edge of the burial mound to be slightly warped. This caused the miniature to sit a little too proud above its plastic lipped circular base, and discouragingly, no amount of filing or sanding seemed to rectify the situation. In the end I therefore had to shelve my obsessive–compulsive disorder, and simply prime the piece with "Citadel" Abaddon Black. 
The Union - "A mismatched bunch o' mercenaries, scum and criminals for the most part."
As the majority of the figure was actually mud, I simply dry-brushed all the earth in precisely the same manner as I do almost all of my gritted bases, using first Doomsbull Brown, then Rakarth Flesh, and finally a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade. Once the shade had dried, I 'picked out' the dead Sultarish's shattered mask with "Vallejo" Gold and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade, and used a combination of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green for her decaying claw-like limb.

Snakeskin's tombstone was painted using a base-coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, a wash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then some more "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey; which was lightly drawn over the grave marker in order to highlight all of its detail. In addition, I used some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna to pigment the plant's branches, and a spot of Heavy Green to colour its leaves. These areas were subsequently washed with "The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green where appropriate.
"Vixtrix Limited" Frenchman - The soldier has yet to have his eyes, face and hat finished
Finally, I spent a little time busying myself on the miniature's solitary half-burnt out candle, sputtering away on top of the head-stone. I have seen its wax painted red previously, and was sorely tempted to replicate just such a colour scheme. But in the end I decided to stick to the usual off-white palette by using some "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand and a dab of Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter”.

Obviously such a 'simple' subject has given me a little extra time to focus upon some of my other partially-painted models. Not wanting to waste this valuable opportunity, and in dire need to catch up with my Napoleonic tally marker, I have spent a considerable period 'picking out' all the straps, baggage and rifle parts on another "Victrix Limited" bicorne-wearing French Fusilier from Bonaparte's 1804 - 1807 army...

16 comments:

  1. As for French Napoleonic's he looks alright to my uneducated eye.

    Never tried "Guildball" I steer clear of sports games. But the figures do look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, still a few bits and bobs to do on the Frenchmen, such as his eyes, face highlights etc. "The Dark harvest" boxed set is rather fun from the looks of things, so I'm hoping to do a few more grave markers over time.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done on the marker Simon, and good to see you utilising the extra time to keep at your naps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I'm a bit behind with the Naps, but should have this (final) French Fusilier done soon, and then will crack on with the Austrians.

      Delete
  3. Very nice grave marker and nicely painted too. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. "The Dark Harvest" was a bit of an impulse buy, as I really like the grave markers and the reaper.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Simon, and there's some great looking characters in "The Union" that could find use in several types of game :-)
    I'm struggling to get my head around using a grave as a "player character" though ;-)
    Slowly but surely wins the race, and those French Nap's are going to look stunning when you've finished 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. I'm not sure about the graves being used as players either, but there you are. I'll be pleased to get this particular Frenchmen finished, so I can spend some time on my Austrians, and get that tally marker moving :-)

      Delete
  5. OK, I've heard og Guildball, but that;s as far as it goes! This halloween set looks very interesting for all manner of games too, though a graves-stone os not my Idea of a character - I guess I;ll never truly understand fantasy.
    I'm still trying to get my mind around your Napoleonic fixation, so good luck with that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. "Guild Ball" is indeed an interesting beast, and currently one I'm only following when a mini takes my fancy - hence this grave-marker. Once finished this'll be the last of my French Napoleonics... as I've got some Austrians to do :-)

      Delete
  6. What a cool idea to use the marker as a player also. Looks good to me. Nice work on the Frenchmen. I am shuddering at how much white your having to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Hopefully I can get a few more of the grave-markers finished in the next couple of weeks. Lots of Napoleonic whites to come too, as Ill be doing some Austrians next :-)

      Delete
  7. Great work on the Guildball grave marker, really looking good. The grave marker is used as either a player or a harvest marker for the undead farmer character in the set so dual use. Really like the paint job a lot. Great to see more Naps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. Its nice to get the odd "Guild ball" post in from time to time ;-) More Napoleonics coming, just as soon as I can get paint-brush to mini.

      Delete
  8. What a strange sculpt to offer as a playable mini. Well painted though mate, and I always like seeing more napoleonics here - means I don't have to try to paint them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai, personally I liked the idea of fielding a team of gravestones, which is why I bought the set. But then once I'd put it alongside the other players it seemed rather odd. More Naps coming my friend :-

      Delete