Friday 10 July 2020

"Transformed By A Terrible Lab Accident..."

"...The monstrous Tox tries to hide from view."
This 28mm scale resin model of Tox is produced by "Kitbash Games", and was bought as part of my pledge from their highly successful "Supers Unlimited" Miniatures "Kickstarter" in August 2019. Designed as a "tank" to offer "great durability and powerful melee attacks" in both the "Pulp City" and "Super Mission Force" rule-sets, I actually plan to use the three-piece casting as a German super-villain known as Die Unordnung [The Mess] for an upcoming Weird War Two campaign utilising some homemade rules.

Having assembled the brute, I initially primed the monster with two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki before drenching it in "Citadel" Biel Tan Green. I then splodged some Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter" onto the figure's face, arms, hands, feet, armpits and thighs, so as to make Tox look even more blobby, before dry-brushing the entire model with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki.
"Kitbash Games" WIPs - Granite has slowly had all his pebble-skin shaded and dry-brushed
The grotesque creature's metallic chest stabiliser was ''picked out' using a combination of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. Whilst his teeth were simply pigmented using a little "Vallejo" White, and later washed using some "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Finally, the anti-hero's eyes were spotted with a dab of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand.

With the first of my "Supers Unlimited" Miniatures "Kickstarter" rewards completed, I have been progressing the second - the superbly-detailed sculpt of Solomon ‘Sol’ Smith, a.k.a Granite. I was actually a little nervous about placing a brush-tip upon this model to begin with, as it reminded me of the mental slog I had to go through to finally finish a mere Scouting Force of Boromites for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares" by "Warlord Games".
"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - The three skeletons have been based and primed
Fortunately however, Granite is currently proving a joy to paint, and has encouraged me to even go so far as to delicately dry-brush all his rubble-skin with some additional "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey. I've also managed to overcome my horror at splashing the entire model with an exploding pot of old paint, by painfully re-painting the damaged areas, and subsequently managed to lay down his leotard's base colour of  "Vallejo" Heavy Red.

Lastly, I've assembled a few of metal figures found in the new "Crooked Dice Games Design Studio" Fantasy range. These Skeleton Warriors were admittedly something of an impulse purchase, but simply looked too good to resist, especially with news of a "7TV" Fantasy rule-set being touted for next year...

20 comments:

  1. Great work on Tox Simon, reminds me of a less dressed Toxic Avenger. Granite is progressing nicely, and the skeletons seem quite dynamic sculpts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes Tox is slightly reminiscent of the Toxic Avenger now you mention it. Hope to have Granite finished soon, along with the first of the skeletons.

      Delete
  2. Nice job dude! Annoyingly I have got strip all mine due to a primer mishap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!! That is annoying Simon. Fingers crossed you'll be able to rescue them :-)

      Delete
    2. Aye. Fingers crossed once I get some fresh Dettol it works.

      Delete
    3. I've heard good things about Dettol as a paint stripper, so I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts as to whether its any good or not.

      Delete
  3. Love the Tox figure Simon. Looks very slimy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. That's the effect I was after :-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on Tox, really suits your gloss finish. Granite is coming on well too, like that you have gone for the grey colour as apposed to the things orange. he does remind me of your Boromites though :)

    The Skellies are nice too, but surprised Crooked Dice are moving into that market as it is so crowded already. Surely everyone who wants Skellies has got them by now?

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Really pleased with Tox, and hope to get him into a Weird War Two BatRep asap. I did have some nasty flashbacks to painting Boromites when I first started painting granite, LOL!!!

      The Skellies are excellent, and having painted loads for my "Lord Of The Toons" project, I've still bought them. Albeit I'm still reeling from the horrible 'Tomb Kings' I tried to assemble for "Kings Of War" by "Mantic Games", so it felt good priming some straightforward skellie sculpts for a change.

      Delete
  5. I painted a skeleton army years ago using the old GW Skeleton Army box as a start, then added more metal ones to fill it out, Myles has it now (as he loves skellies), so I'm a bit "Skelly'ed out". They are really nice mini's though. I remember the "Kings of War" ones were in a lot of pieces, though I believe the "Zveada" Ring of Rule ones were a lot worse, with separate hands and feet too!

    Gave them a miss!

    Oh and I did a 15mm one too from Irregular too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic "Mantic" skellies are nice enough, Roger, but the Empire of the Sand ones came with metal add-ons like heads, weapons and Egyptian-themed shields and were almost impossible to attach to the plastic - plus the figs kept tottering over due to being horribly unbalanced.

      Delete
  6. impressive, love the Tox miniature.
    the Granite character is awesome. i would use him in my rumbleslam game.
    great job as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mr. Martin. Granite is excellent. Looking forward to getting his leotard shaded with a Soviet symbol of some kind on the chest. He would look good in Rumbleslam. Good call! :-)

      Delete
    2. now u mention a soviet symbol on his outfit, makes me wonder.
      how big is the miniature, thinking of a fantasy match between him and Rumbleslam's Vitamir lol.

      Delete
    3. Granite is 35mm tall from head to foot, Mr Martin.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I think Tox looks awesome, really great job. Love him. Granite looks fabulous already. You have really brought those minis to life. Tremendous stuff. Those skeletons look good too and I do like the way you paint bone so I have high hopes for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Very happy with Tox, and Granite is now finished too - should be posted next week. The skeletons are excellent sculpts. A bit of an impulsive buy I admit. But hopefully they'll hit the tabletop soon.

      Delete
  8. I like Tox, great colouring and I doubt he'll be able to hide!
    Granite,coming along nicely, but still think he'd look a lot better in a mankini (bright yellow maybe?).
    The skelingtons look very solid and are reminiscent of those found in older board games (maybe Talisman ?); they're great sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I'm really enjoying these "Supers Unlimited" sculpts. The skeletons are a bit old school I suppose, and that's probably why I like them so much :-)

      Delete