Saturday 11 December 2021

“Though Vaguely Canine In Form…”

“…Flesh Hounds are more a horrific cross between dog and reptile.”

These six plastic 6mm scale Flesh Hounds [twelve shown with accompanying Bloodletters] were produced by "Games Workshop" for their tabletop wargame "Epic", and regrettably are now long Out Of Production (OOP). However I was jammy enough to stumble across a tub of these daemonic canines from the second-hand stall, “Lesley’s Bitz Box”, whilst visiting "Colours" at Newbury a few years ago, and as part of one of my recent self-imposed Weekly Challenges, thought I should paint up some of them.

“Found by the hundreds and thousands on the bone-littered plains surrounding Khorne's demesne in the Realm of Chaos”, the tiny figures were super-glued onto two thin strips of wood, and primed with two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Red. They were then washed using "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and very delicately dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Red.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - Both this 6mm Lander Raider and Rhino were uncoated by their previous owner

Later, each “bloody-minded daemonic beast” had their back spines and head crests ‘picked out' with a little “Citadel” Abaddon Black. As a final touch I also decided to dot their super-tiny teeth/fangs with a well-placed spot of “Vallejo” White, and then dirtied these areas up, along with the insides of their open maws, with some “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade.

Momentarily sticking with “Epic”, I have set aside some opposition to my 6mm Forces of Chaos in the shape of some second-hand Adeptus Astartes I was gifted a good couple of decades ago. There’s no actual rhyhme or reason as to the motley collection, and many of them have already undergone a somewhat thick initial coat of black paint – probably “Citadel” Chaos Black.

"The Iron Star Alliance is able to afford the most advanced technology and weapons for its military."

However, I thought a sizeable batch of space marines, assault marines, rhinos, land raiders, speeders and robots would make an enjoyable small(ish) project for the forthcoming Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Although, despite wanting this force to encompass as many chapters as I can cram in, I fear the black ‘prime’ is predominantly going to limit some of the units to being Black Templar, Iron Hand or perhaps Raven Guard…

Lastly, having recently finished painting three Paladin Annihilators by “Privateer Press” for “Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika”, I have revisited the rest of my Iron Star Alliance forces and re-painted all of their Arc receiver’s with a combination of “Vallejo” Brass and “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade. I had actually used this palette on most of their backpacks before anyway, but I then spotted a couple of areas I have consistently missed on the older models which I decided to ‘pick out’ so that they would match-up better with the new Annihilators.

No comments:

Post a Comment