Saturday 24 September 2022

"The Witch-King Is The Greatest Of The Beings Known As The Nazgûl.”

“And is the Dark Lord’s most deadly lieutenant.”

This 28mm scale metal model of the Witch-King of Angmar is produced by "Games Workshop", and these days can only be bought as part of the Nottingham-based manufacturer’s nine-piece resin Nazgûl boxed set. Thankfully, I was able to purchase my ‘terrifying undead servant of Sauron’ separately at a wargaming show's second-hand stall several years ago.

The Ringwraith was actually still partially-primed when I had once considered entering it into the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, so I simply smoothed this out with an application of "Citadel" Abaddon Black. I then furiously dry-brushed the figure with “Vallejo” Heavy Charcoal before drenching it with “Citadel” Nuln Oil.

"Games Workshop" WIP - This Warg Rider's mount has had its fur blended together

The spirit’s armour, sword and Morgul Blade were ‘picked out’ using a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. These areas were then dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Gunmetal. Finally, in order to better tie-in the palette with that of their master Sauron, I applied a little “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade to the former King’s armoured gloves and boots.

Considering that the “Hero of Valour” actually costs 100 points when armed with his Morgul Blade, as well as a couple of additional Will and Fate points, I’ve managed to complete my initial 500 point Barad-Dur army for "The Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game" with just two figures.  However, whilst I’m looking forward to seeing just what Sauron and the Witch-King can achieve alone on the tabletop, it’s clear I should also continue with my plan to give the force some actual basic troop choices.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - This Space Marine just needs some washes and a 'tidy up'

With this in mind I have been slowly trying to progress three plastic Warg Riders to use as a scouting force for both my Isengard and Barad-Dur warbands. But to be honest I’m not enjoying painting the large wolves as much as I thought I would. Indeed, I’m not at all happy with how their dark faces and legs are blending in with their light brown fur, and need to revisit these somewhat softly-detailed areas once I’ve finished working on the beasts’ teeth, tongues and toes.

Happily, I am currently having a blast working on more 28mm plastic Space Marines by "Games Workshop". The first ten of these multi-part figures will all wearing MK III power armour and will form the first of three Sons of Horus Tactical Squads I have planned for the Horus Heresy…

No comments:

Post a Comment