Sunday 29 March 2015

"Gamma World" - WIP - Part One

Black Mist WIPs - Just working on the highlights for their faces, with pistols and scarves remaining
I don't have a great deal more to do on these two models of The Black Mist by "Reaper Miniatures". Once I have finished applying some "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone highlights on to their faces I'll only need to just paint their pistols with an appropriate metallic paint and their scarves a nice deep red. I was planning on having both figures wearing dark brown gloves. But having applied a suitable layer coat and wash to the Bones figure I have decided to leave the other (metal) miniature alone just so there are some differences between the pair... except for the awful torn edges of the soft plastic sculpt obviously.

Both of these models will be making their way to Curt, who organised and ran the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. As a result I have actually redone the charcoal dry-brushing on both models and once again given those areas a wash of black shade. I simply wasn't happy with the rather oily effect the "Citadel" Nuln Oil had first time round, and this time it would appear to have dried far better than before. Though to be perfectly honest if it wasn't for the fact these were both going to someone else, I would probably have written off the polymer-based variant and simply concentrated on painting the superior metal model.
 "Reaper Miniatures" WIPs - Just some basic basing and undercoating for now
That is not to say that I have entirely given up with "Reaper Miniatures" paintable plastics. I did think I would try a larger-sized model from their range, so have dug out a "Great Worm" model I bought some time last year.

In addition I have also been tempted into starting work on a whole range of metal miniatures from the manufacturer's "Chronoscope" range. I purchased several packets of these 28mm predominantly science fiction figures in order to play some 'Dungeons & Dragons' adventures based upon "Gamma World"; "A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril" by "Wizards Of The Coast".
 "Chronoscope" WIPs - The boxer is already close to completion
As the characters are meant to be survivors of a mythical future disaster, and thus must survive "radioactive wastelands, ravaged cities and rampant lawlessness" I thought the vast majority would either be mutated in some way, or at least have a shaky grasp on the difference between fact and fiction. Thus was born my group's leader, Mister Homes and his ever faithful robo-servant H.U.D.S.O.N., along with pugilist George Fourthman, Plant Lady and Hamelin (The Rat-catcher).

12 comments:

  1. Some very interesting stuff there Simon! I cant see the rough edges on the plastic Black Mist in the pictures but I believe you when you say they are there, nice paint job on both though. I do like the plant lady she looks rather good wouldn't mind something like that myself at some point, she make a good poison Ivy proxy. I am a little concerned about the robot chap though his arms look a little thin and fragile. I promice not to give you a grilling about George Fourthman though (ha ha I got it in there first!!).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. If you look at his hat rim and pistol you can just see the tears in the piccies. The robot's arm by his side is a bit fragile, hence I've got it up against his hip for protection.I did intend for George's gloves to be black, but I might go with red now. Lovely sculpt and LOL :-)

      Delete
  2. Checking my own Reaper Bones figures I've discovered I own that plastic Black Mist figure. He seems simple enough to paint so I may paint him soon. I also have that great worm figure as well but it too remains unpainted. You just wouldn't believe the amount of Reaper Bones and Bones II figures I have to paint!

    Gamma World is a blast from the past for me. I still have the original Grenadier boxed sets of minis for this game. They must be so rare nowadays. Just like my very early version Gamma World rulebooks. I wouldn't have associated the five figures you chose for the game with a Gamma World setting. I guess you can get away them due to the post apocalypse setting of the game. Plant Lady and H.U.D.S.O.N. will definitely fit in well. The others less so but ultimately it's down to you what is allowed and what's not. Your posts are so full of surprises, Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I look forward to seeing your Black Mist Bones mini. I always enjoy seeing how others tackle models I've painted. I hope to have my two finished by the weekend, along with numerous other minis I've been showing as WIPs over the past few weeks. I love Gamma World, though my boxed set is a little newer than yours ;-) I'm actually hoping to merge both games and minis with my "Across The Dead Earth" stuff... so don't be surprised to see Mister Homes leading a party of Victorian Police Officers against ray-gun carrying androids at some point. I like to keep people who kindly visit my blog on their toes :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice work sir. :)

    What are your overall thoughts on the Bones material?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not a fan Pulpcitizen. Although my figure could just be a poor cast. I'm going to try out the giant worm next, and have several others waiting in the wings. It certainly represents excellent value - especially for the larger models. But painting a metal and Bones side by side really makes the plastic seem tacky. I've certainly developed a far healthier appreciation for those who paint 1/72 plastics :-)

      Delete
  4. Another eclectic bunch of figures Bk! The Black Mist is coming along nicely. Across the Dead Gamma World sounds like a great idea, you could get really wacky and bizzarre on us then. Looking forward to seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Hoping to have him (both) finished by this weekend. Tbh this "Gamma World" ride has taken me a bit by surprise but I'm determined it won't derail my plans for the "Heroclix" and "Pulp Figures" I started recently. "Bizarre!?!" Me..!?! Did I mention the horde of man-eating mutant rabbits I've dug out for "Gamma World" ;-)

      Delete
  5. a great collection of figures you are working on. I too have the black mist figure from the bones kickstarter. I have painted a couple of the smaller ones (but not black mist) and find they paint better than you feel they will but the material is much better on the larger figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CW. I've a few more Bones to try out. Not my fave model substance but I'll paint a few more first before judging. Hopefully, as you say, Bones works better on the larger minis.

      Delete
  6. I echo Bob's sentiment - What an eclectic mix of fiugres, but nothing i haven't come to expect from you ! I do like the way you're finishing of "Nist" though, and take my haat off to the very difficult shades of black you've managed to acheive.
    Gamma Wordl, and many other similar systems were de-rigeur in the day, less so now, so it's nice to see a propoenet of the system - I'll be taking an interest where you go with this.
    BTW, you pugilst s superb, but as for usefulness ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Zabadak. I've got to tidy up some of the blacks on Mist as my dry-brushing and washes have crept onto areas I want to be pure black. Not too sure how useful the boxer will be either tbh. But it was such a lovely looking mini and he should be okay in close combat ;-)

      Delete