Wednesday 17 April 2019

"No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!"

"Driven ever onward to righteous battle..."
This 28mm multi-part plastic model of an Adeptus Astartes is produced by “Games Workshop", and has been 'converted' using a single piece from the Nottingham-based company's Black Templars Chapter Upgrade kit to represent the "second founding chapter derived from the Imperial Fists." Probably assembled at least a decade ago, at a time when I first started seriously dabbling in "Warhammer 40K", this particular piece now means I can finally field a full ten-man Space Marine Tactical Squad on the tabletop, complete with both a Sergeant and Special Weapons (Flamer)/Heavy Weapons (Missile Launcher) option.

Initially undercoated "Citadel" Chaos Black, the figure had all of its armour's knee, elbow and wrist joints 'picked out' using a combination of Boltgun Metal and Badab Black, whilst his eyes were 'spotted' with Red Gore and (possibly) Baal Red. In order to break up the Black Templar's somewhat monotonous all-black colour scheme, I also applied some additional Boltgun Metal and Badab Black to certain areas of his backpack and Boltgun.
"Age Of Sigmar" WIPs - The Slaughterpriest and Skulltaker
Finally I applied some "Citadel" Skull White to the Adeptus Astartes' shoulder pads, and applied a decal of his Chapter, taken from the Space Marine Transfer Sheet to the defender of humanity's left pauldron. Unfortunately, I get the impression that the particular decal I used had possibly seen better days, as it quickly began 'breaking up' upon contact with the gloss varnished should pad. But I was easily able to later tidy it up with a dab of "Vallejo" White and "Citadel" Abaddon Black.

Sticking with "Games Workshop" plastic miniatures, I have continued making some progress on both the Slaughterpriest and Skulltaker models I have yet to finish before I can finally field a 750 point strong Blades of Khorne warband for "Age Of Sigmar". These two models are absolutely packed full of detail, so I am currently slowly working my way up each warrior, layering all their "Vallejo" Gold and Heavy Red areas as I go, so as to get them ready for some hearty washes of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Gelatinous Cube WIPs - The monster's stomach partially-digested contents have been 'picked out'
Lastly, in an effort to clear a considerable area on my painting table, I have dusted down and pigmented an old Gelatinous Cube by "Reaper Miniatures". This translucent "Bones" model is absolutely crammed with the partially-digested, so I wanted to try and give its 'meal' some semblance of colour before it's completely engulfed in the monster's semi-transparent ooze.

Disappointingly, I am however, going to have to wait a few days before I am able to finish this classic "Dungeons & Dragons" creature as my usually trusty "Gale Force Nine" super-glue wasn't up to the job of sticking the two-piece cube together, despite using an elastic band to hold the ensemble together. As a result I am currently awaiting the arrival of some apoxy instead, which should not only make the ravenous blob whole, but subsequently allow me to fill in a few gaps I'm informed I'll still have once the model is complete.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Pleased to get him ready for the tabletop after ten years :-)

      Delete
  2. Great work on the templars Simon, good to see the progress on the khorne pieces and the cube digesting Parts look cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Trying to clear the old painting table currently.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michal. Simple stuff tbh, but another mini finished is always good in my books.

      Delete
  4. Ah my old army a good choice .. but you will burn in a special hell reserved for those who do not drill out their bolter barrels !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. I’m afraid you won’t find any fiddly Boltgun barrel drilling on this blog, LOL!!!

      Delete
  5. What has happened to Super Glue? None of it seems to be ‘Super’ anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I haven’t been impressed with the last two tubes of super-glue which I’ve bought from “Gale Force Nine”, Simon.

      Delete
  6. While these GW models all look great, it's the gelatinous cube that steals the show for me 😊, fantastic work you did on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wouter. I'm really enjoying my dabble with the Dark Side (i.e. "Games Workshop") currently. But the gelatinous cube certainly caught my attention when I started painting it. Sadly, most of the detail will be lost when the cube is glued in place, as it isn't all that transparent.

      Delete
  7. You really can`t beat Space Marines can you? They`re just so iconic of 40K. Like every boy and girl wants to be a Jedi.. I think everyone wants to own at least a few Space marines. I like the Space Marine women, what are they called - The Adepta Sororitas, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "iconic" is a great description for the space marines, Tarot, and I'm definitely looking forward to the new (apparently multi-part plastic) Sisters of Battle when they come out later this year; albeit I know female conversion heads for the current space marines are becoming increasingly popular too.

      Delete
    2. But wait..... there are no female Space Marines. Well not in the old days of Rogue Trader through to 3rd edition and beyond anyway. Mind you, its like anything isn't it. If you want to include it in your games, make it up :-)

      Delete
    3. I think official canon can certainly take a backstep if someone wants to make something up for inclusion in their own games, Tarot, and I've seen some excellently-painted normal and Primaris female space marines in recent years.

      Delete
  8. Veeeery nice Simon. Whenever I see Space Marines I start to go all mushy inside and make throat noises like Ooooo and Aahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Expect plenty more mushiness to come then, as I've really taken to "Warhammer 40K" and am hell bent on building up a sizeable Space Marine force; especially as I can mix up a few different chapters if I wish :-)

      Delete
  9. Well done on the marine as painting black and getting any sort of detail is very demanding.
    I have to admit the gelatinous cube is not what I was expecting but it's nevertheless a very impressive model and far better than I could have envisaged - it's a great DnD monster, one I used (and encoutered) sparingly in my years of playing DnD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm very pleased to finally have that tenth Black Templar finished after ten years :-) The Gelatinous Cube should be completed soon, and with hindsight, I fear I've done far more painting than I needed to on its stomach contents.

      Delete