Wednesday 24 April 2019

“Do You Want Him Killed Now?”

"No. He might yet prove useful. Well Doctor? Shall we go?"
This 38mm tall metal miniature of an amphibious cousin to the Silurians is manufactured by “Warlord Games” and can be bought as part of their “Sea Devils” three-model boxed from the "Into The Time Vortex" range. Sculpted to replicate the "prehistoric race which went into hibernation millions of years ago" during Malcolm Hulke's 1972 televised six-parter "The Sea Devils", these classic Third Doctor-era creatures were ultimately clothed in netting by Maggie Fletcher after director Michael Briant felt their original costume design made them look as if they were naked.

Despite the Sea Devils themselves actually being dressed in blue on the broadcast programme, I wanted this particular figure to stand out as the faction’s Overlord, so initially undercoated him "Vallejo" Heavy Green, before heavily washing the miniature’s raiment with “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade, and dry-brushing it with some additional "Vallejo" Heavy Green. The leader’s feet were subsequently painted Heavy Sienna and his legs Heavy Green. Both these areas were then dry-brushed with Heavy Sienna and washed with (more) Strong Tone Quickshade by “The Army Painter”.
Grey Knight WIPs - The space marines have all been primed with "Citadel" Ironbreaker
The Overlord’s weapon belt was 'picked out' using a combination of "Vallejo" White and Pale Grey, and his metallic energy hand-weapon was pigmented using "Citadel" Ironbreaker and a shade of Nuln Oil. The English Channel colonist’s hands and head were originally treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, then 'slimed' with Heavy Green. Later, as with the reptilian life-form’s legs, these areas were dry-brushed with Heavy Sienna and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

Moving over to another Nottingham-based producer of miniatures, I have continued to make some progress on a small(ish) “Games Workshop” based project to finally paint-up a squad of five Grey Knights for “Warhammer 40K”. I must confess to having been significantly sidelined by my sudden enthusiasm for wargaming “in grim darkness of the far future” and now intend to devote some considerable hobby time to pigmenting a sizeable force of daemon-hunters and Inquisitors to help fend off the diabolically chaotic machinations of both Khorne and Nurgle.
Bloodletter WIPs - The ten Slaughter-kin have all been primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Red
Resultantly, and in order to ‘kill two birds with one stone’, I have duly assembled and primed (yet) another ten Bloodletters to aid the ambitions of the Blood God. These reinforcements will allow me to field two sizeable Slaughter-kin units for “Warhammer 40K”, as well as utilise a core of thirty of the Blood God’s Chosen as the basis of my ongoing Blades of Khorne “Age Of Sigmar” warhost.

Perhaps somewhat masochistically though, I had even gone so far as to order a “Start Collecting! Daemons Of Khorne” boxed set to provide me with even more Bloodletters in the near future. Not only will these extra models give me the option of commanding two self-sufficient twenty-strong daemonic hordes for both rule-sets, including Icon Bearer and Musician options, but also provide me with the opportunity to have some mounted Bloodcrushers charge into my foes atop their Juggernaut mounts…

24 comments:

  1. At last you post something I can leave a positive comment about - more Sea Devils. Nice one, Simon. I do love how you paint these guys. Sadly, I can't think of a single good thing to say about WH40K, hence my silence whenever you post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Sea Devil Overlord Bryan. He should see action in just in couple of days. There is lots more "Warhammer 40K" to come as I've dug deep into my plastic mountain, and found a ton of space marine goodies to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Sea Devil and your Daemon army is going to look great when finished.

    Hmm Grey knights as well. You are being a hobby butterfly this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. The beauty of my Khorne army is that is works for both "Age Of Sigmar" and "Warhammer 40K", so expect plenty more Bloodletter-based posts over the next few weeks; especially as I try and finish off their Judgements. Plus I thought some Grey Knights would make marvellous opposition for the daemons in the future :-)

      Delete
  3. I like the Sea Devil, but the 40K interests me not at all. I cannot for the life of me see the appeal. Horses for courses I oppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I have quite a bit more "Doctor Who" planned for the next few months. "Horse for courses" indeed. For my own part I've got back into "Warhammer 40K" because I can use my "Age Of Sigmar" Chaos warhosts for it too, plus I really like the latest edition of the rules and the way the fluff has moved forwards with the Primarchs returning.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful end of April posting. Being a sea devil fan I am always glad to see one of these. I do hope the new Dr Who encounters them again.
    My 40K stuff hasn't seen the light of day for a decade. I still have a chaos army built but unpainted, its so old even the plastics are being replaced. On my list of things to do is to buy some `not bunny ears of Khorne' helmets from Shapeways, `re-head' those without the sacred `Easter ears of the blood god'.
    So much to do ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. I've a couple more April postings to squeeze in which I hope you will enjoy too. Spookily, I've just taken hold of a consignment of Khorne Bezerkers for my "Warhammer 40K" Chaos force, so expect to see a fair few 'not bunny ears of Khorne' helmets making an appearance.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Simon, great to see some classic Who on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Unfortunately "Warlord Games" seem to have come to a complete halt with their releases for "Doctor Who: Exterminate!", so I am finding it a little hard currently to maintain my enthusiasm for the range - especially when the likes of "Games Workshop" keep churning out some great new stuff for both "Age Of Sigmar" and "Warhammer 40K".

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've sold your soul, ...
    "Blood for the Blood God!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Wouter!! There's a lot of Khorne and "Warhammer 40K" to come over the next month or so for sure!! :-)

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the sea devil Simon, for some reason I thought you were going to do white netting over the green !
    Grey knights and demons progressing nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. No... my intention was always to paint the Overlord in dark(ish) green. Early days on both the Grey Knights and (additional) Bloodletters, but progress is progress - and I've made quite a bit more since these WIPs were photographed too.

      Delete
  8. Nice sea devil and he will most certainly stand out from the crowd as you intended. More bloodletters! Flipping heck, you must be knee deep in them. That many is a scary prospect on the battlefield! Can't you paint something else like a cute puppy of Khorne or something less deadly!! Glad to see 40k has you enthused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Really happy with the Sea Devil Overlord, and I'm looking forward to seeing so many Bloodletters on the tabletop too, especially if I can continue to fill out both units of daemons until they max out at 30 models each... Might then look to do the same with my Nurgle Plaguebearers ;-)

      Delete
  9. Sea Devil leader looks top notch. Bet those dark greens contrast nicely with the turquoise-blue of your regular Sea Devils.

    I've come down with a bit of GW-itis of late myself and have now amassed a small collection of Genestealer Cultists. When they'll get painted, I have no idea, but probably long after you've finished all these Khorne daemons. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Much appreciated :-) Looking forward to seeing your Cultists. I own a team, as some came with the “Kill Team” boxed set.

      Delete
  10. The Sea devil makes a good contrast to the other Silurians

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy Space Marines. Perfection in miniature :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Steve, and despite the misdeeds of "Games Workshop" in the past, I currently feel that they are doing a superb job with both their "Age Of Sigmar" and "Warhammer 40K" releases.

      Delete
  12. I do like the grey knights Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I'll try and get some more Grey Knight WIPs posted with my next article :-)

      Delete