Friday 12 April 2024

"Early In The Thirty-First Millennium..."

"...The Galaxy is in the throes of the Great Crusade."

This 28mm plastic Space Marine is by "Games Workshop" and comes from the OOP (Out Of Production) Betrayal At Calth stand-alone boxed game. The multi-part model has been assembled wearing MK IV armour, and is another one of the ten figures I need to field my third Sons of Horus Tactical Squad for "Warhammer: The Horus Heresy."

The miniature was initially undercoated with "Citadel" Sons Of Horus Green, before I used a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, Gold, and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade on its shoulder-pads and anywhere else which I intended to be gold. I then picked out the sharpest edges and numerous rivets in (more) "Vallejo" Gold, before applying some "Citadel" Abaddon Black to all the knee-joints and elbow-joints, as well parts of their backpacks and Bolters.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Four Napoleonic Prussian Infantrymen

I next treated the model’s power tubes and firearm to a little "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. as well as plonked some "Scalecolor" Speed Metal and "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red into each Space Marine's eye slit. Only once all this work was finished did I shade all of the MK IV armour with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brush it with (more) Sons Of Horus Green. Lastly, I attached a couple of the numerous decals found on the "Games Workshop" Sons of Horus Legion transfer sheet onto the shoulder-pad and lower-leg.

With almost half of my latest Sons of Horus infantry squad now 'varnished and flocked', I've decided to tackle four figures taken from the blister PN063 Infantry in Peaked Cap Marching by "Wargames Foundry" in order to bolster my burgeoning collection of 28mm painted Napoleonic soldiers. This quartet of Prussians were admittedly predominantly bought due to their 'official' paintjob showing their uniform as having black straps (as opposed to white) - so I thought they might be a bit easier to pigment than normal.

"Black Tree Design" WIPs - This Nimon has had all its details base-layered

To be honest though, I'm still in two minds as to whether to stick with the black leather belts as I've not seen that many illustrations of Prussian infantrymen wearing them - albeit my limited "Google-Fu" research has suggested the colour was actually worn by the army's Fusiliers; all twenty-four battalions of them in1806. Regardless of any future decision, I've primed two in "Vallejo" Sombre Grey, and another pair using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, to help establish which provides the best (and by that I mean quickest) base-layer to work up from.

I also can't seem to shake my infatuation with "Black Tree Design" and their "Doctor Who" range, despite recently completing some decidedly ill-defined sculpts of their Cybermen and Mechanoids. This Nimon though is a great model, and emerged from amidst my significant backlog whilst I was hunting around for some 'quick-win' projects. I had thought I'd powered through all these extra-terrestrial parasites way back in 2017. But clearly I missed one...

8 comments:

  1. Great work on the Son Simon, and great that you are now halfway through the squad already, nice progress on the Prussians and Nimon, are the Prussians metal or plastic, as several of the rifles seem to be bent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I still have some character figures to do for my Sons of Horus too. But I'm finally getting there. All of Foundry's figs are metal - as far as I'm aware. The rifles are probably bending as that's where I tend to touch the models when painting them.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Son or Horus, good to see you still ploughing through these, and not losing momentum (or tempted away onto another project)
    😉

    Gosh I remember those "Nimon" figures, and the really rather poor television serial too, it had Janet Ellis in it if I remember correctly (I had a bitof a crush on her as a child! 🤫). Nice paintwork all round though mate.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger - and absolutely terrific to see a comment from you back on this blog!!! LOL!!!

      I was meant to finish all my space marines last month, so I'm trying to fit them in whilst working on my Napoleonics for April. But as you suggest, things do keep getting in the way.

      Yeah. It's been a while since I first encountered the Nimon figure. I quite like the TV story - though Graham Crowden did ham it up.

      Delete
  3. Another great space marine. I really like your colour scheme enormously.
    Prussian Napoleonics? You have a very diverse little collection developing.
    More Dr Who?!? You must have a Tardis of your own to store them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. I'm trying to crank through the Sons of Horus whenever the mood takes me - especially as the Prussians are so very complicated/detailed when compared to them.

      Yeah, I found a load more Dr Who figs I thought I'd already painted, so I'm moving through them as and when I can too.

      Delete