Saturday 6 April 2024

"Issued Toward The Closing Centuries Of The Great Crusade..."

"...Maximus-pattern armor was still being deployed to Space Marines..."

These three 28mm plastic Space Marines are by "Games Workshop" and come from the now sadly OOP (Out Of Production) Betrayal At Calth boxed game. The multi-piece miniatures have been assembled wearing MK IV armour, and are some of the ten figures I need to field my third Sons of Horus Tactical Squad for "Warhammer: The Horus Heresy."

The trio of figures were initially undercoated with "Citadel" Sons Of Horus Green, before I 'picked out' all the ridges on their shoulder-pads, and any knee-pads which I intended to be gold in "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. These areas were then (unsurprisingly) given a layer of "Vallejo" Gold and a splash of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to darken them down a bit. They were later all highlighted back up with a little dry-brush and some additional smidgeons of "Vallejo" Gold on the sharpest edges and rivets.

"...When Horus led half the Legions into heresy and revolt."

I next applied some "Citadel" Abaddon Black to all the surrounding areas of their shoulder-pads, so as to separate the "Vallejo" Gold from the "Citadel" Sons of Horus Green, and provide some simple (but hopefully effective) shadows around the limbs. This colour was also carefully brushed onto their unarmoured knee and elbow joints, as well parts of their backpacks and Bolters.

All of the models’ power tubes and firearms were subsequently treated to a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Whilst I plonked some "Scalecolor" Speed Metal into each Space Marine's eye slits, and a single layer of the "Citadel" Contrast colour Flesh Tearers Red. Only once all this work was finished did I then heavily wash all of the MK IV armour with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brush it with (more) Sons Of Horus Green. Finally I attached some of the many decals found on the "Games Workshop" Sons of Horus Legion transfer sheet onto the odd shoulder-pads and piece of lower-leg armour.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Napoleonic French Light Infantry Chasseurs Advancing 

With approximately a third of my latest Sons of Horus infantry squad now completed, I have spent some time working on a pair of 28mm figures from an old FN054 - Light Infantry Chasseurs Advancing blister by "Wargames Foundry". I actually completed one of these Nineteenth Century Frenchmen as a test piece back in November 2023, so have slowly been plodding through the recipe I created then.

In addition, I've been busy prepping a few more miniatures for this month's push into the Napoleonic era, with an eye on bolstering up my Allies. I've dusted four Russian Infantrymen I want to add to the quarter I pigmented last year - essentially giving me an eight-figure foot unit, and a pair of Prussian soldiers, who frankly look pretty straightforward to complete when compared to the Chasseurs and Russians...

6 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff! Love the napoleonic French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. I've finished two of the French Chasseurs already. So they should be posted soon. Definitely got the Nap bug currently.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the sons Simon, reminds me I really need to get some MK IV armour at some point ! LOL Nice progress on the Naps as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I think the new MK IV armoured Horus Heresy figs are the same size as the MK VI minis nowadays - as these are definitely a bit smaller. I find the Naps incredibly time-consuming with my style of painting, but I'm pushing on. LOL!!!

      Delete
  3. Very nice Sons of Horus space marines. The variation in shoulder pads and colours makes them really stand out. I really wish you wouldn't paint Napoleonic soldiers! You are going to make me try to paint a test model myself and that could be a dangerous path to go down!! Stop it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. Napoleonics in 28mm is definitely a dodgy road in my books. But I'm about six months down it now, and slowly building up a nice skirmish force for both sides.

      Delete