Tuesday 2 April 2024

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Wargames Foundry" April 2024

"Napoleonic tactics are characterized by intense drilling of the soldiers."

With the Fourteenth Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) thankfully now well and truly behind me, I thought it was high time to return to the mass of partially-pigmented Napoleonic figures by "Wargames Foundry" that I've had encircling my hobby desk for the past few months. Ideally, I'd like to double my current tabletop-ready collection of these colourful combatants over the next four weeks. But in all reality I think I'll have to settle for finishing just half a dozen or so more of the time-consuming, heavily-detailed miniatures instead.

With this in mind I've picked out a few more Russian Infantry (in Oilskin Covered 1812 Shako Marching) to bolster up my Allies force, along with a couple of identically-sculpted Prussian soldiers (in Peaked Cap Marching) - which hopefully I can somewhat switch between both the French and Allied contingents as a scenario requires. For Napoleon's La Grande Armée itself, I've plucked out some more Light Infantry Chasseurs (Advancing) from my backlog, alongside an old Grenadier In Full Dress And Bearskin (Advancing), which I disconcertingly bought last century.

"The thrilling peak of the Pertwee era as the Doctor and Jo team up with the Navy against sea reptiles."

I've also still got a few "Doctor Who" figures by "Black Tree Design" loitering around, which I intend to complete as and when I can. One such model is another of the 28mm metal monsters found inside the Penzance-based company's DW1015 Sea Devils boxed set. The Aquatic Silurian's string vest was basecoated in "Vallejo" Verdigris and washed with "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, and then roughly highlighted back up with (more) "Vallejo" Verdigris.

I next tackled the ocean demon's webbed feet, arms and heads using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, before patiently tracing along its belt with a line of "Two Thin Coats" White Star. This area was later shaded in "Vallejo" Pale Grey. Lastly, the Earth reptile's hand-gun was given a smidegon of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and a dousing of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

March 2024 - "Black Tree Design" has increased its early lead due to my continuing interest in "Doctor Who"

Despite deciding to completely walk away from the hobby for a good seven or so days during the last month to help recoup my mojo, I still managed to finish a satisfyingly high number of models from my backlog. Many of these were admittedly some rather unimpressive sculpts sold by the aforementioned "Black Tree Design" as part of their poorly-aging "Doctor Who" line. But I did also achieve some minor in-roads with my "Flash Gordon" project by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio." 

Both of these manufacturers will doubtless still feature quite heavily throughout April too, as I 'pick away' at several of their miniatures which are reasonably close to requiring a good varnishing and base flocking. In addition, I'm badly lagging behind on my 'final push' to complete 500-points of Sons of Horus space marines for "The Horus Heresy" by "Games Workshop", so intend to knuckle down with the remnants of my third, ten-man tactical squad whenever the opportunity presents itself...

6 comments:

  1. Very nice looking napoleonic minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Hopefully I can somewhat add to their number over the coming weeks.

      Delete
  2. Some fine looking figures Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. Hoping to double them if I can this month.

      Delete
  3. Great to see some more Napoleonic minis coming this month. They do look glorious and it is so tempting to start an army, but it seems like a huge commitment and a very deep rabbit hole!
    Another nice Sea Devil and an interesting list of manufacturers. What do Fenris produce? My brain for has set in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I think for me the notion of just picking away at a few every month is the best way forward Ref Napoleonics. It wasn't until I set up this post's pics that I realised I'd already painted so many French, and hope to bring the Russians up to par this month.

      Fenris6661982 are a Polish "eBay" company, from whom I bought and painted six Black Numenoreans for LotR. I have another half dozen ready to go too.

      Delete