Sunday 31 March 2024

"Ro-Busters Can Go Into Action!"

 "Get me the Chairman of the North Sea Tunnel Authority - on Red!"

This exclusive resin miniature of "Mr Ten Per Cent himself, Howard Quartz" is produced by “Warlord Games”, and arrived as part of the Nottingham-based company's A.B.C. Warriors: Increase The Peace Starter Game. "At one time human", the billionaire Chief Executive Officer of Quartz Industries was created by Pat Mills and Carlos Pino for the comic book series "Ro-Busters", and made his debut appearance in the May 1978 issue of "Starlord".

Having lost ninety percent of his body during "a terrorist incident involving a rogue Hammerstein", the industrialist was originally primed using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black. He was then treated to a layer of Sir Coates Silver from "Duncan Rhodes Two Thin Coats" and an enthusiastic sploshing of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"The Sea-Devils plan to conquer the Earth and enslave humanity."

The model's reconstructed robot-cyborg torso was also given a thorough dry-brush of (more) Sir Coates Silver, and treated to the odd coat of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to darken down various armour plates as per the 'official' paint-job. With the basics done I subsequently turned my attention to the various telephones and wires looped around Quartz, using "Citadel" Abaddon Black for the phone cable itself and a variety of bright(ish) colours taken from my collection of "Two Thin Coats" pots. 

Finally, I tackled the sculpt's visible brain dome - which perhaps somewhat disappointingly relies solely upon the skill of the painter to depict as its entirely smooth to the touch. There was no way I was going to do to be able to replicate the astonishingly good job produced by "Warlord Games" resident miniaturist, so instead I opted for my usual approach of pigmenting a clear hemisphere using a combination of "Two Thin Coats" White Star, "Vallejo" Pale Grey and a delicate dry-brush of (more) "Two Thin Coats" White Star. 

"Games Workshop" WIPs - Early days on these Sons of Horus Space Marines

In addition to completing the first of my 'A.B.C. Warriors', I have also continued working through my "Black Tree Design" backlog, with another 28mm metal figure found inside their DW1015 Sea Devils boxed set. As with all the other bipedal marine monsters I've slapped a brush-tip upon, this miniature was painted using "Vallejo" Verdigris, "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, "Two Thin Coats" White Star, "Vallejo" Pale Grey and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

I've also managed to make a small dent in my latest ten-man squad of Sons Of Horus space marines by "Games Workshop" too, by cleaning up the armour of three tactical traitor figures from where my "Vallejo" Gold dry-brushing went a bit nuts. Hopefully, this trio can now be quickly finished after a dousing in "Citadel" Nuln Oil and a careful dry-brush of Sons Of Horus Green.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Michal. Pleased to have got the first of my ABC Warriors finally finished, and get that project going.

      Delete
  2. Great job on Mr. Ten Percent Simon, I might need to get one of him at some point, but no rush, although i am interested in the Volgan robots a lot more ! LOL Great work on the next Sea Devil, and nice progress on the Sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I am a bit surprised that you can't just get a lot of the ABC Models individually tbh. I was hoping for some more basic troops, but as far as I can see they all come packaged with at least a named character - which I don't want two of. I do like the new WG Resin over its old version though.

      Delete
  3. Howard Quartz looks excellent, great work on the metal section. How could you paint a brain on that dome? It's beyond my meagre skill! Lol.
    Great looking Sea Devil and I really love the Sons of Horus colour scheme, so glad to see some "meagre" progress on those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I did watch a few YouTube videos of people painting Quartz's brain, and all of them looked well ahead of my skill with a brush-tip. LOL!!! You'll be pleased to hear that all three of these Sons Of Horus Space Marines are now finished, and I've moved on to another trio.

      Delete