Wednesday 6 March 2024

"This Ming Is A Psycho."

 "Halt Lizardman. Escape Is Impossible. Surrender."

This 28mm scale metal Major Domo Drone is produced by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" and can be brought as part of the company's SKU: DEAL 243 Maguffin Objective Markers Two. Intended to be used as a scenic objective marker for the "7TV" rules, I felt the miniature would be put to better use as an actual tabletop model instead. Indeed, the floating metal sycophant's sculpt is clearly influenced by Emperor Ming's mechanical bodyguard as seen in Mike Hodges' 1980 science-fiction movie "Flash Gordon".

The robot was initially undercoated using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Leather Brown and Heavy Sienna, before being base-layered in Gold. It was then treated to a splash of "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gold, and later highlighted even further with a little Silver. The deadly machine's four eyes were simply dotted with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and a splodge of "Vallejo" Heavy Red.

 "Black Tree Design" WIPs - This Cyberleader has been primed, base-coated, shaded and dry-brushed
As a result of viewing some film footage of the Drone I decided to pick out its base using a combination of "Vallejo" Bronze and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Finally, I applied a few coats of White Star by "Two Thin Coats" to its flying stem, shaded it with "Vallejo" Pale Grey, and lastly gave it a rough dry-brush of (more) "Two Thin Coats" White Star.

With the latest of my "Flash Gordon" figures finished, I've turned my attention back to some additional old "Doctor Who" castings by "Black Tree Design". Despite having left the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) early, I'm still really keen to attain my annual 500-point tally - even if it is only on paper this year. Resultantly, I've identified a number of potential 'quick wins' which should prove reasonably straightforward to pigment, and this Cyberleader is one such miniature.

 "Games Workshop" WIPs - Early days on these Sons of Horus Space Marines

Unfortunately though, it isn't the greatest of sculpts by any means, and actually supposedly portrays the physically formidable Cyber-Controller from the January 1985 television story "Attack Of The Cybermen". The detail is disconcertingly squishy with the Telosian cyborg arguably only being two-thirds the height of its fellow Cybermen - which I've been painting alongside it.

In addition, I have begun working on the first three of ten Sons Of Horus Space Marines I aim to get finished this month. Having already painted approximately twenty of this traitorous fellows in the past my technique for getting them tabletop ready is pretty solid, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to plough through the entire squad without too many hurdles or mishaps...

8 comments:

  1. Great work on Ming's drone Simon, this is one of those models I'd be really tempted to play with magnets to actually make it float ! LOL Nice progress on the cyberman, strange it so much smaller than the regular cybermen, but once painted, another useful piece. Great start on the Mark IV armour, really need to get some of these at some point ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I rather like the air-blowing stem on the Drone tbh. But a genuine floating one would be cool. I'm not sure what went wrong with the Cyberleader (or rather Cyber-Controller). But there again the entire Black Tree Design Dr Who is rather hit or miss. The SoH are the old sculpts from GW's Horus Heresy Boardgame, so they're a little smaller than the modern-day space marines they produce for HH.

      Delete
  2. I like that drone enormously, great work on the good colour and I particularly like it's flying stand being the jet of smoke coming from its engine thing? Haven't seen any Cybermen for a while so good to see one of those. If he is a bit shorter than the rest (bit bizarre isn't it?) you could call him Napoleon Cyberpart! I can't wait to see how your mk4 marines turn out, especially in that gorgeous green colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. It's a great little sculpt and would have been wasted, imho, as just an objective marker. "Napoleon Cyberpart"..!?! You've been watching too much Ridley Scott. LOL!!

      Delete
  3. Love the Major Domo Drone, what a great film that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I have it playing repeatedly on an old PSP beside my painting desk. LOL!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Michal. Should make a good bodyguard for my Villainous Star in future sci-fi games of 7TV.

      Delete