Monday 18 March 2024

"Inform Moonbase Our Signals Are Being Detected."

"They must increase the distortion."

These four 28mm metal models are produced by "Black Tree Design" and are available as DW533 - Cyberman Firing from their "Doctor Who" miniatures range. Hoping "to change history by sending Halley's Comet crashing into Earth", these figures are clearly based upon the silver giants seen in Paula Moore's 1985 television story "Attack Of The Cybermen".

Undercoated using my usual mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, the "cybernetically augmented humanoids" were later given a couple of coats of "Vallejo" Gunmetal, drenched in "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal.

"The authorities refuse to believe that the Sea-Devils are not a figment of the Doctor’s imagination."

I then 'picked out' all of the Cybermen's central chest pieces with a little drop of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, as well as one of the models' 'head-handles' to mark it out as a Cyberleader. I also applied a combination of "Scale 75" White Alchemy and "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red to the energy rings of their hand-blasters. Lastly, I attempted to contrast the firearms from the cyborgs by giving them a (second) coat of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, so as to help darken the hand-weapons down.

Continuing my headlong plunge into my "Black Tree Design" backlog, I have finished another of the figures found inside their DW1015 Sea Devils boxed set. This miniature's string vest was layered in "Vallejo" Verdigris and shaded in "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, before being brusquely highlighted with (more) "Vallejo" Verdigris.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - Early days on these Sons of Horus Space Marines

The classic Jon Pertwee monster subsequently had its webbed feet, arms and heads painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Whilst its belt was carefully 'picked out' with "Two Thin Coats" White Star and shaded in "Vallejo" Pale Grey. Finally, the ocean demon's hand-gun was given a lick of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and a splosh of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

Alongside my dalliance with "Doctor Who", I'm striving to work my way through my latest ten-man squad of Sons Of Horus space marines by "Games Workshop". I'm continually looking for 'quick wins' with these plastic multi-part figures as I have an incredible number more to paint, so have been experimenting on these three to see whether completing the traitors' "Vallejo" Gold shoulder-pads, knee-pads and belt buckles first will makes things quicker in the long run...

6 comments:

  1. Great work on the Cybermen and Sea Devil Simon, I think that was one of my favourite Cybermen stories, but do like the updated version of the cybermen from the new Who. Nice progress on the sons, and hope the new way of painting them works out quicker for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. "Attack Of The Cybermen" is my fave 6th Dr TV story. I thought it was a cracking way to start the new season, even if I wasn't a fan of the 45 minute episode format or TARDIS changing-shape shenanigans.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Michal. Still got the Cyber-scout to post, and then that'll essentially be it for this latest dabble in Doctor Who.

      Delete
  3. I really like the cybermen and Sea Devil. You have brought them to life very well despite the sculpts age. I think the Sea Devil has aged slightly better in my opinion!
    Great to see more Horus Heresy stuff as I just love that range and the stories. I will be interested to see how you new painting method works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat, much appreciated. I totally agree with the Sea Devil aging better, LOL!! I think doing the Gold trim first is definitely the way to go with the SoH.

      Delete