Monday 4 March 2024

"It Had The General Shape Of A Man."

"Yet it's body was covered in green scales, and its face was that of a snout-nosed reptile."

This pair of 28mm metal models are produced by "Black Tree Design" and are available as part of the 'exclusive' seven-figure strong box DW1015 Sea Devils from their "Doctor Who" miniatures range. Responsible for the destruction of the S.S. Pevensey Castle, the "Sea Lizards" made their first appearance in Malcolm Hulke's 1972 six-parter "The Sea Devils".

Both models were originally treated to a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, before having their string vests layered in "Vallejo" Verdigris. The clothing was then drenched in "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade and brusquely highlighted, courtesy of a rough dry-brush with (more) "Vallejo" Verdigris.

"Black Tree Design" WIPs - This Cyberman is slowly being transformed into a Cyberleader

The Sea Devils' webbed feet, arms and heads were later painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Whilst their belts were carefully 'picked out' with "Two Thin Coats" White Star and shaded in "Vallejo" Pale Grey. Lastly, the two classic monsters' hand-guns were treated to a smidgeon of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and a splosh of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

Originally, I had considered submitting these creatures from the BBC Television programme's Ninth Season into the Fourteenth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) as another attempt to 'qualify' for its Challenge Library's Local History bonus - due to the Jon Pertwee six-parter being largely filmed locally around Portsmouth, H.M. Naval Base Portsmouth, and No Man's Land Fort. However, having now left the AHPC, I've instead simply added them to my increasingly large Silurian/Sea Devil force, with another nine of the partially-pigmented sculpts waiting in the wings.

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - Early days on three Alien Legionnaires

Sticking with both "Doctor Who" and "Black Tree Design", a recent re-watching of probably my favourite Sixth Doctor serial "Attack Of The Cybermen" has caused me to start working on a handful of Cyberman Firing sculpts. The detail on these cyborgs is rather soft. But as I would still like to achieve my 500-point tally for the AHPC, at least on paper, I feel the figures should prove a quick, straightforward project.

In addition though, I have made a little progress on some Alien Legionnaires by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio". These "gas-masked goons" are part of a much larger "Flash Gordon" flavoured backlog I fully intend to chip away at over the next several months, and should give my recently finished Ruthless Lieutenant (General Kala) some additional Villainous Extras to field for some future games of "7TV"...

8 comments:

  1. I thought your enthusiasm for Dr Who minis was waning? Doesn't look that way with more Sea Devils completed and Cybermen on the way! Still, they look goid.
    I like your legionnaires as they were very memorable in the Flash Gordon film so I can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I've prepped and primed a few simple-to-do Doctor Who figs simply so I can achieve my 500-point AHPC target (theoretically at least). The Cybermen minis are part of that effort.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the Sea Devils Simon, and great progress on the Cybermen and Ming's minions. Were the Sea Devils completed in February ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yeah, I have a load of models from Feb I simply couldn't squeeze into the month's posting schedule, LOL!!!

      Delete
  3. Very nice work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bill, and thanks for commenting too. I think the Sea Devils are definitely one of the better sculpts Black Tree Design produce and still hold up reasonably well even today. Got another nine to finish though before I've cleared my painting table of this particular incarnation of Jon Pertwee's classic monster - I have a load of the Samurai-looking ones next to do from Peter Davison's era.

      Delete