Friday 15 March 2024

"The Cyber Controller Can Decide Their Fate."

"Alert the guard. They must not enter Cyber Control alive."

These 28mm metal model is manufactured by "Black Tree Design" and is available as DW517 - Cyberleader from their "Doctor Who" miniatures range. "Evolved so that he looked and operated like the current army of Cybermen", this single-cast figure is mislabelled as it clearly resembles the Telos Cyber Controller from Paula Moore's 1985 television story "Attack Of The Cybermen".

Undercoated using my now usual mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, the unemotional cyborgs' "ultimate mastermind" was subsequently treated to a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Gunmetal, drowned in "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal.

"Threat. Stop."

I then set to work on simply 'picking out' the Cyber Controller's central chest piece with a tiny dollop of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and the energy ring of his hand-blaster using a combination of "Scale 75" White Alchemy and "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red. Furthermore, I attempted to contrast the firearm's metal from that of the silver Cyberman himself by giving it a (second) coat of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, so as to help darken it down.

With my latest (somewhat underwhelmingly sized) "Doctor Who" figure finished, I have also managed to 'polish off' a pair of the Penzance-based company's 28mm metal spherical robots as well. Available as DW120 - Mechanoid, these "match for the Daleks" made their first appearance in Terry Nation's 1965 six-parter "The Chase", and were largely pigmented in much the same way as the Cyberman.

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - Early days yet on these two Mounted Simians

Moving across to "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio", following my recent re-watching of Franklin J. Schaffner's 1968 science fiction film "Planet Of The Apes", I've additionally started working on a few Simian Minions for "7TV". One of the most frustrating aspects of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) has always been that any entries (understandably) need to be both started and finished during the event's time span, so I've been frustrated from properly working on these particular miniatures for a few months.

Now the AHPC is finished, at least for me, I've collected quite a few of these partially-painted Gorillas from my backlog, dusted them down, and begun progressing them. I actually own a frightening number of these classic looking post-apocalypse soldiers. But thought I'd start with a couple of horse riders, whose sculpts appear to have been taken straight from one of the earliest scenes of the $20,825,000-making motion picture...

8 comments:

  1. Great work on the Who models Simon, I'm guessing there are still a lot more Who models to come ! LOL Nice to see your Planet of the Apes models making a come back, just in time for the new movie ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I have more Doctor Who models than I care to think about. And that's just the Black Tree Design ones, LOL. If you include the Warlord Games and all the 3D printed ones too, I would die if they all fell on top of me at once. LOL!!!

      I'm not the greatest fan on the new PotA movie series - though thought the last one was very good. The new one looks good too though from the trailer, imho. However, you can't beat the original, hence the sudden push for the first gorilla soldiers.

      Delete
  2. not a bid Dr. who fan, can honestly say I never got into it, so I cant really say anything but you are really churning out some finished product of it all.
    it all looks really well done, great job!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Martin. Tbf the Black Tree Design Cybermen and Mechanoids are not the best sculpts by a long stretch. But I seem to have bought a lot of them in the past, so I wanted to get a fair few of them finished this year - hopefully for some "7TV".

      Delete
  3. What a great post. I love the CyberController and the mini Mechanoids! Great metallic brushwork.
    Mounted apes! Those look sensational, so I can't wait to see those completed and brought to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. The old Black Tree sculpts are definitely showing their age with the CyberController and Mechanoids, imho. Hoping to get a fair few more of my Planet of the Apes figures finished now the AHPC is over.

      Delete